Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with that.

I've watched that kind of pressure destroy lots of players in different codes around the world and have been amazed at how Buddy has dealt with it.

It's hard to really know what is happening now. Sad really.

Agree .....it was a bad idea. In swans part. They knew buddy had issues too

423083-mike-fitzpatrick.jpg

I find that hard to believe.

Sydney used a loop hole to offer substantially more than any other club. Otherwise why is everyone crying about COLA? and his long term contract.

What loophole? We just offered him a really long contract. Other then that, it was completely standard. Other players in the league are in similar annual pay.

Not sure what club would have said no to Buddy.

And anyway, Sydney has always tried to do things a little differently - only way they can stay relevant in a non-AFL state.

Not say no ...but the length of the contract and the overall package ...franklin wanted out of Melbourne

Anyways I hope he gets on top of his issues wether be drug related or mental health related or combo of both ....(which is where I lean towards)

As someone who has dealt with depression and continues to do so, this whole situation stinks. Sure, you get demotivated, lack energy, can't really sleep, and the worse it gets the worse you are, but you would certainly find a way to motivate yourself to get out there for 4 hours on any given Saturday to help your team win a game.

Maybe he's lost faith in his back and it's bringing him down, or maybe some of the lewd suggestions about rampant drug use or cheating have some merit, but who knows, the club doesn't say anything.

All I can say being an active supporter is that I'm a extremely disappointed he isn't playing in the finals, somewhat livid that the club has taken the approach that they have and just labeling 'Mental Health Issues', because it's a cop out and stinks of something rotten. Either he's done something bad or he has something psychologically or physiologically wrong with him that would even have him consider retirement.

Even with depression you can still function at a normal level.

It isn't even opinion though. A lot of people are just straight up stating it as fact.

Yes but surely if someone is saying something it's implied that it's an opinion. Like me saying that "Hodge is an overrated leader and a terrible role model", do I really need to add "in my opinion" at the start?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that some doubt the premise of mental health issues and blame Drugs for his woes

Seems to me people are saying oh well if íts drugs it's his own fault and no empathy and he should be named and shamed

Addiction is serious and if and its a big if.....that he has an addiction and that's what he's battling surely he's allowed to to recover in peace. As I've said before about 80% of addiction co-exists with some mental health issues (doesn't mean you have a mental health disorder or diagnosable illness) could just mean your out of whack ...

To compare it ....we hear players saying they are physically sore .....well it's very possible that people get soreness of the brain and mental health ....they are ok somewhat but are experiencing some issue. So they use some drugs to try to curb that feeling. It can spiral quickly.

Now not for one second am I saying buddy is experiencing this or that .......we don't know

I'm in the camp that we shouldn't name and shame people ....all it does is creat a shit storm for the player the game and fans ..we've seen the damage the Essendon drama has created.

Clubs are now very well resource day helping buddy's and so on and I'm sure buddy will be fine

Naming and shaming doesn't actuallÿ stop the next young superstar from having issues or dabbling in drugs .....

These men arrive at afl clubs at 17-19 years of age and have had many experiences till that point that have shaped their lives ...and all of sudden we expect them to be raging bulls on a Saturday ......do everything they can to win .....then for the rest of the week we expect them to be saints and model citizens

Fame and fortune changes people ....it has pitfalls

I saw a picture of buddy when he was 10-11...smiling ....in his footy jumper .....not a care in the world

Do you think at that age we foresee what occurs. As I often say to my clients there is no instruction manual to life ..YOU DONT LEAVE AT 17 from your parents with a set of instructions that means you'll never stuff up.

I also think blokes in the 1960's till the 1990's had the same issue ....it's just that they used alcohol to mask the true person. Gambling, sex and illicit drugs is now the release valve for players.

The bigger the star the higher the star the bigger the star falls ...Shane Warne, Jordan ..tiger woods .....

Buddy is our big star ""....he's reached the top .....now what do you do ....he has everything ...I suspect something is missing though and I hope he finds it and gets help so we see the buddy we love and admire.

As someone who has dealt with depression and continues to do so, this whole situation stinks. Sure, you get demotivated, lack energy, can't really sleep, and the worse it gets the worse you are, but you would certainly find a way to motivate yourself to get out there for 4 hours on any given Saturday to help your team win a game.

Maybe he's lost faith in his back and it's bringing him down, or maybe some of the lewd suggestions about rampant drug use or cheating have some merit, but who knows, the club doesn't say anything.

All I can say being an active supporter is that I'm a extremely disappointed he isn't playing in the finals, somewhat livid that the club has taken the approach that they have and just labeling 'Mental Health Issues', because it's a cop out and stinks of something rotten. Either he's done something bad or he has something psychologically or physiologically wrong with him that would even have him consider retirement.

Empathy to you .....however I do feel we shouldn't name and shame

Should I name and put all of my clients in the newspaper whom are battling addiction ...what good would that do

It's interesting that some doubt the premise of mental health issues and blame Drugs for his woes

Seems to me people are saying oh well if íts drugs it's his own fault and no empathy and he should be named and shamed

Addiction is serious and if and its a big if.....that he has an addiction and that's what he's battling surely he's allowed to to recover in peace. As I've said before about 80% of addiction co-exists with some mental health issues (doesn't mean you have a mental health disorder or diagnosable illness) could just mean your out of whack ...

To compare it ....we hear players saying they are physically sore .....well it's very possible that people get soreness of the brain and mental health ....they are ok somewhat but are experiencing some issue. So they use some drugs to try to curb that feeling. It can spiral quickly.

Now not for one second am I saying buddy is experiencing this or that .......we don't know

I'm in the camp that we shouldn't name and shame people ....all it does is creat a shit storm for the player the game and fans ..we've seen the damage the Essendon drama has created.

Clubs are now very well resource day helping buddy's and so on and I'm sure buddy will be fine

Naming and shaming doesn't actuallÿ stop the next young superstar from having issues or dabbling in drugs .....

These men arrive at afl clubs at 17-19 years of age and have had many experiences till that point that have shaped their lives ...and all of sudden we expect them to be raging bulls on a Saturday ......do everything they can to win .....then for the rest of the week we expect them to be saints and model citizens

Fame and fortune changes people ....it has pitfalls

I saw a picture of buddy when he was 10-11...smiling ....in his footy jumper .....not a care in the world

Do you think at that age we foresee what occurs. As I often say to my clients there is no instruction manual to life ..YOU DONT LEAVE AT 17 from your parents with a set of instructions that means you'll never stuff up.

I also think blokes in the 1960's till the 1990's had the same issue ....it's just that they used alcohol to mask the true person. Gambling, sex and illicit drugs is now the release valve for players.

The bigger the star the higher the star the bigger the star falls ...Shane Warne, Jordan ..tiger woods .....

Buddy is our big star ""....he's reached the top .....now what do you do ....he has everything ...I suspect something is missing though and I hope he finds it and gets help so we see the buddy we love and admire.

Should we have empathy for Lachie Keefe and Josh Thomas, by the same token? If they had gone to the club, rather than unluckily being randomly tested, they'd be able to get treatment and not miss 2 years of football. Of course, I'm not stating that Buddy is on drugs, but 2 young men have lost their jobs and been named and shamed.

Well he does have a very unusual sense of humour. Seems to think that rising sea levels wiping out island nations is funny.

Leaders set a tone and he has been setting a very poor one.

Keep politics off this site, especially when you are misinformed (easy for this to happen if you only get you news from the ABC or social media). You have forced me to make a correction and break my own rule of getting into politics on a footy site.
Those islands aren't actually shrinking, which was one of the points of the joke, and also a joke about how time doesn't mean much in these countries, which you should/would know if you'd ever been to one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...wing-not-shrinking-due-to-climate-change.html

The leaders of those countries not going to point this out, as they are being showered in cash by gullible western governments.

Should we have empathy for Lachie Keefe and Josh Thomas, by the same token? If they had gone to the club, rather than unluckily being randomly tested, they'd be able to get treatment and not miss 2 years of football. Of course, I'm not stating that Buddy is on drugs, but 2 young men have lost their jobs and been named and shamed.

I always go by the premise that no one deliberately try's to stuff up .....no one says ok

"I'm going to see if I can wreck my career and hurt my family and cause chaos for my club"

So yes I have empathy for people ...I kind have to for my job but I'm built that way also

I grew up in an area with high violence and drug use.....crime. Saw violence and all,sorts of things ...turned that around by studying hard ...playing sport. And then using my life lessons to help others

Empathy to you .....however I do feel we shouldn't name and shame

Should I name and put all of my clients in the newspaper whom are battling addiction ...what good would that do
I understand that and agree, naming and shaming those suffering drug addiction is not going to help anyone. You only have to cast your eyes over the Eagles team from 2002-2006 to see what drugs was doing to that team and what happened to some of those players, Cousins and Kerr especially, after it was made public knowledge they had drug addictions.

If Buddy played for my team, and wasn't helping us win when he's getting paid half our salary cap, I'd want a better reason than "mental health issues".

What issues? Depression, anxiety? If they won't say we can only make wild assumptions.

AFL players on game day don't function on normal levels though do they?

If buds in that deep a place that he can't bear to leave the house and has to lock himself away from everyone (which he may or may not be), I hardy see how he'd be able to perform to an acceptable level in front of 30 thousand people in a cut throat final where all the pressure is on him.

If this really is related to his mental health then it's only right he takes the rest of the season off.

Where have the Swans stated that it's depression? As far as I'm aware they haven't and it's just another assumption by some posters. So knocking the guy for not fronting up on that basis may be somewhat unfair.

Keep politics off this site, especially when you are misinformed (easy for this to happen if you only get you news from the ABC or social media). You have forced me to make a correction and break my own rule of getting into politics on a footy site.
Those islands aren't actually shrinking, which was one of the points of the joke, and also a joke about how time doesn't mean much in these countries, which you should/would know if you'd ever been to one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...wing-not-shrinking-due-to-climate-change.html

The leaders of those countries not going to point this out, as they are being showered in cash by gullible western governments.
Yeah the tea party might believe you but the science community won't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back