Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a gem!

Full speed, bouncing without missing a stride, opposition hot on his tail, 1 foot in from the boundary, wrong side of goals for a lefty, 35m out, pressure last quarter ie very important to kick it....

Don't think it was the wrong side. Can you imagine if he was running down the other flank trying to kick that?

Clever goal, but some equally insipid attempts at tackling.

Hooker ain't no 100m sprinter :D

Buddy kicked from the same relative angle and distance out after running 80 metres full pace and kicked it at full pace.

The aker goal does not even come close......

Wasnt the same angle, no where near it, buddy was running a long the boundary, aker was running at it. Aker also did it while it was pouring down. Also if he run 80m 3 bounces is not enough...

Wasnt the same angle, no where near it, buddy was running a long the boundary, aker was running at it. Aker also did it while it was pouring down.

Wasnt the same angle??

Franklin kicked the ball from on the paint, Aker was a metre in, his body was facing away from goal , but if they were both on the baondary and the same distance out, the angle is the same.

And is respect to the kick at full pace from the boundary on the conventional wrong side for a left footer being "nothing you don't see very week".

Examples from the last couple of weeks please....

Wasnt the same angle??

Franklin kicked the ball from on the paint, Aker was a metre in, his body was facing away from goal , but if they were both on the baondary and the same distance out, the angle is the same.

And is respect to the kick at full pace from the boundary on the conventional wrong side for a left footer being "nothing you don't see very week".

Examples from the last couple of weeks please....

When taking into account the angel of the kick, you have to take into account the way you are facing.
Also, im a left footer, and i will tell you know, when on the run, that is the better side to be on. The direction he was running allowed for his natural hook, on the other side he would have had to cut back in board to allow his natural hook, i can tell you know, watch nathan eagleton play, he kicks more goals from that side.
Some examples.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rMn53k_1e8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rMn53k_1e8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Nathan brown is a left footer, but on this occassion decided a right foot kick was more suited for the angle. If he had have kicked on is left, he would have had to kick on the outside of his foot.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MuKclCSyVDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MuKclCSyVDI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, if you've played footy you'd know the Aker one is significantly more difficult to do than the Buddy one, or the Davis one posted above.

Aker's the only player I've ever seen that can actually kick the ball accurately that way, though Chapman does a decent poor man's version.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZqgnlt-38I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZqgnlt-38I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
On this occassion, motlop was disadvantaged by being a right footer in a similar area as buddy running in a similar direction, as he had to kick it on the outside of his foot.

There are three things (of concern) that differentiate Aker's goal and Buddy's goal.

• left footer/right footer - therefore opposite pockets. Effectively the same shot though.
  • Rain - Aker had to contend with it.
  • Running - Buddy bounced from centre wing before taking the shot.
These things aside, the actual kicks themselves are almost identical in terms of distance and relative position pressed against the boundary with their kicking leg boundary side.

Aker had to contend with rain, Buddy had to contend with running however far at full pace while being pursued. They are the only differences. The actual point of kicking and degree of angle/difficulty are virtually identical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aker had to contend with rain, Buddy had to contend with running however far at full pace while being pursued. They are the only differences. The actual point of kicking and degree of angle/difficulty are virtually identical.

No, they're not. Buddy was running at goal, Aker was running virtually away from it. Seems like a small difference, but adds a factor of x5 to the degree of difficulty.

That's why there's already been a bunch of goals similar to Buddy's posted (albeit with a 50m run instead of 90m), but you won't find anyone posting goals like Aker's. They simply don't exist.

it was so much better live. the replays don't do it justice.

he made the goal look so easy as well, when i doubt there's another player in the comp who could have kicked those 2 goals.

Agreed. Watching those two goals live was just something different. You watch the replays and it doesn't do it justice at all.

Goal of the decade? Motlops was pretty special.

No, they're not. Buddy was running at goal, Aker was running virtually away from it. Seems like a small difference, but adds a factor of x5 to the degree of difficulty.

That's why there's already been a bunch of goals similar to Buddy's posted (albeit with a 50m run instead of 90m), but you won't find anyone posting goals like Aker's. They simply don't exist.

No, he wasn't. He was facing directly ahead, not inboard at the goals. I think you're splitting hairs to be honest.

Harley commented on it during the commentary...that he went towards the boundary, not the goals.

Mind you - I am not trying to say it was better. I love the Aker one. I already commented on his game in total earlier in the thread. Was a great game by him, not just a great goal. My favourite player to watch in his hey day from an opposition team.

Goal of the Year easily....

I'm just trying to work out which was better in my mind. The 2007 Elimination final vs Adelaide for his 7th to put the Hawks in front or that one?

Both very different and lots of different factors to take in consideration, but by god watching Buddy is the reason I pay money to watch footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back