Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roughouse

Senior List
Mar 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m trying to remember a better goal than Buddy’s last against the Bombers.
Putting aside Club bias, which admittedly is pretty difficult, I cannot remember a better goal, for all sorts of reasons:

Degree of Difficulty 10/10
To be that hard up against the boundary line, having run 100 metres +, taking the shot running flat out, after already having a similar run only minutes before, he could not have made it any harder for himself. To use one of Jack Dyer’s lines “He was on such an acute angle the ball was in danger of wedging between the goalposts.”

State of the game 8/10
Deep into the last quarter, with his team fading against a fast finishing opposition the Hawks needed a lift and Buddy delivered big time. Let’s not forget he had been running around racking up his 26 possessions the previous three quarters, so he must have been close to exhaustion.

Style 9/10
Aside from nearly losing the ball from a wayward bounce, being able to turn his opponent, leave him for dead, and to kick with such precision while running like a gazelle was a joy to behold.

Can anybody think of a better goal in the last ten years?

it was so much better live. the replays don't do it justice.

he made the goal look so easy as well, when i doubt there's another player in the comp who could have kicked those 2 goals.

from the moment he got the ball i just watched in shock until he put it through, couldnt believe it, definatley one of the best ive seen

Motlop's at the Gabba a couple of years back still has my vote. On the run from outside 50m, using a right foot banana, on the left flank, and went through half-post high. Impossible to do really.

Yep, agree that was amazing.

I find it to hard to judge and rank amazing goals ahead of others. Just so opinion based really.

One thing I will say is the Matthew Lloyd goal of the year winner doesn't even come close.

Yep, agree that was amazing.

I find it to hard to judge and rank amazing goals ahead of others. Just so opinion based really.

One thing I will say is the Matthew Lloyd goal of the year winner doesn't even come close.
That one beat Motlop's effort, somehow.

Reminds me of Aker kicking two brilliant goals that were similar to each other against the Cats years back.

Not sure what the odds are of being able to run flat out like that and kick two goals from that angle in the last quarter of a game, but it was pretty special.

Individually, not the best goal of the decade. As a set when the game is on the line like that, they could well qualify.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was amazing in the context of the game, add the fact he didn't even steady before he kicked it makes it even more ridiculous...can't say it was a fluke coz he did it 5 minutes earlier!

[1] Definetly goal of this decade so far (2010-2020) :D

I was there.. definately one of the better goals ive seen first hand.. dont know about where it stands compared to others simply because I cant remember every fantastic goal thats been kicked, but it would rate highly.

[1] A decade goes for 11 years?.. first ive heard of it.. :D

Good thread..gives me the chance to show this again :thumbsu:

[youtube]PjazK9dttJo[/youtube]

I loved that goal mate...

But I was at that game on friday night and was sitting in perfect line with buddy as he kicked those two goals that second one was the best goal i have ever seen.

He out pointed his man on the wing took 6-7 bounces and drilled it from the pocket.

All my mates had buddygasms all the way to the pub afterwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy's Goal of the Decade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back