Prediction Bulldogs v Magpies annual R1 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah AFL really don't want to help us out much. Still, on the positive, Freo on our home deck gives us an amazing chance to knock off a contender to kick start our year and end the Ross Lyon hoodoo.

The AFL thinks they are giving us a favourable 1st round draw by not playing us against Brisbane in Brisbane

Forget about ever drawing a blockbuster

Clearly Carlton's string of blockbusters this year wasn't enough- they also need to be in the season opener. I suppose it's better to give Carlton a blockbuster at the start of the year, when there is a glimmer of hope for their fans, than later on when nobody wants to sit through their games. I really hope we don't need to sit through any more Friday night snorefests.

There's also a competitive advantage to playing early in round 1, because you'll probably get a longer break going into round 2. I'd be spewing if I was a docker fan- they have to travel across the country and they also play late (like what happened to us against wc so often). Why not let the traveling teams play a bit earlier, so they get time to recover?

Clearly Carlton's string of blockbusters this year wasn't enough- they also need to be in the season opener. I suppose it's better to give Carlton a blockbuster at the start of the year, when there is a glimmer of hope for their fans, than later on when nobody wants to sit through their games. I really hope we don't need to sit through any more Friday night snorefests.

There's also a competitive advantage to playing early in round 1, because you'll probably get a longer break going into round 2. I'd be spewing if I was a docker fan- they have to travel across the country and they also play late (like what happened to us against wc so often). Why not let the traveling teams play a bit earlier, so they get time to recover?
It's round 1. I don't think recovery is a big deal at this stage of the season.

Thanks for nothing again AFL. Your a joke and the only way you get away with it is because supporters love their clubs. Otherwise I would of switched off long ago and went to my local teams games every Saturday arvo. Dogs do t ask for much and get even less. Give us a break please.

Can't say I'm surprised missing out on Dogs V Pies as the season opener. And it's not the worst option for the Dogs first game of the year against Freo at home instead of flying to Perth. I'd be quite happy to get the tougher opponents out of the way early too.

Richmond will spank Carlton, it will be boring & most at least neutral people will probably switch off the TV or not even show up to the G'

I literally think that alongside GC and GWS, our teams will be right up there with them. Showcasing the best young Victorian teams should be a must. GWS v GC, Collingwood v Western Bulldogs are the way I'd go about opening the season. One or the other and then have two teams that didnt play happen on the Friday. Richmond and Carlton could occur on the Saturday. Win win for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I literally think that alongside GC and GWS, our teams will be right up there with them. Showcasing the best young Victorian teams should be a must. GWS v GC, Collingwood v Western Bulldogs are the way I'd go about opening the season. One or the other and then have two teams that didnt play happen on the Friday. Richmond and Carlton could occur on the Saturday. Win win for everyone.
I'd almost chuck the saints in our bracket. Almost. Some good young talent there, be interesting to see how they cope once the likes of Fisher, Riewoldt and Montagna depart.

The AFL just showed us how unimportant we are even if we play attractive footy

You can't have a bigger ally than the pies to go to the table with and they still told us to go screw ourselves

We will probably get 3-4 Friday games but they will all be against BIG teams and maybe one at the G.

We can all think we deserve this and that but today proved we are no one and the AFL don't care

We will continue to be fodder for interstate teams in round one so save your air miles for round one next year.

Last edited:
I'd almost chuck the saints in our bracket. Almost. Some good young talent there, be interesting to see how they cope once the likes of Fisher, Riewoldt and Montagna depart.
Almost but too many older blokes that dont seem to be covered in the future. You guys seem to have everything covered but the ruck position and we are one key forward away from being complete.

Even though we didn't get it next year, we have to continue knocking that door down to try make it a permanent fixture in the future.

Exposure wise and guaranteeing us Vic based games in round 1, this would be a great initiative going forward.

Opening with 60k-70k at the 'G' is as good as a blockbuster - if the Afl are true to their word about maximising attendances, this is exactly the type of fixture that they should be looking at - Dogs v Pies is a typically mid sized game mid season, and even getting that can largely depend on form, but chuck it on opening round weekend and you're looking at an extra 20,000 bums on seats. With the outlook in the next 4-5 years for two exciting young teams going at it, Ch7 would also be looking at guaranteeing strong ratings, one team most people's second favourite, the other most people's most hated.

Even though it hasn't come off for 2016, hats off to our admin for pursuing options like this, not intentionally potting anyone in the past but we can't be reliant on the AFL to look after us, we have to put our future in our own hands. Chasing things like this, Good Friday and particularly Ballarat are forward thinking, proactive initiatives that have required us to get on the front foot rather than wait for others to help.

Even though we didn't get it next year, we have to continue knocking that door down to try make it a permanent fixture in the future.

Exposure wise and guaranteeing us Vic based games in round 1, this would be a great initiative going forward.

Opening with 60k-70k at the 'G' is as good as a blockbuster - if the Afl are true to their word about maximising attendances, this is exactly the type of fixture that they should be looking at - Dogs v Pies is a typically mid sized game mid season, and even getting that can largely depend on form, but chuck it on opening round weekend and you're looking at an extra 20,000 bums on seats. With the outlook in the next 4-5 years for two exciting young teams going at it, Ch7 would also be looking at guaranteeing strong ratings, one team most people's second favourite, the other most people's most hated.

Even though it hasn't come off for 2016, hats off to our admin for pursuing options like this, not intentionally potting anyone in the past but we can't be reliant on the AFL to look after us, we have to put our future in our own hands. Chasing things like this, Good Friday and particularly Ballarat are forward thinking, proactive initiatives that have required us to get on the front foot rather than wait for others to help.
It's this proactive approach you mentioned that I think should tip the scales in your favour. You're not sitting around waiting for handouts and I think the AFL should reward you guys for it. It will be reward and acknowledgement from the AFL that they have faith in the direction the Bulldogs are going. They have a very, very exciting list. It's these types of games between our clubs that will set the tone for the year. That's just my take on it anyways.

What a f****** joke. If this round one fixture on Sunday vs Freo is a portent of the rest of our fixture.... I will be livid (at both the AFL, and the club for failing in its advocacy).

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Bulldogs v Magpies annual R1 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back