Cairns AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angwins shoulder not as bad as first thought according to a couple of Souths players last weekend. Looks like Angwin will be back playing in about four weeks. I saw the game that COXY played in and he lasted about ten minutes, did his hammy. He is way past it. To slow, no disrepct as I saw him play in his hey day and he was very good but to old now. One of the reasons Steve Daniels came to Cairns was to get a job in footy full time. Spoke to him at last weeks game and he has just started at an elite sports school for the indiginous. Good job and full time. I don't think he would have that in Vic. Last weeks games Port beat Saints by about 8pts. Hawks beat Centrals by 5gls and Souths beat Nths by about 10gls.:cool:

i spoke to mr steve at school. he sais he wont finish the season because he hates the standard in cairns. what can we do to keep him here bbecause he is a cool teacher. if he goes what will the club do for a coach?

i spoke to mr steve at school. he sais he wont finish the season because he hates the standard in cairns. what can we do to keep him here bbecause he is a cool teacher. if he goes what will the club do for a coach?

I have to agree, the standard of footy is not all that great, im thinking of heading home to play for nyah in the central murray league, for a bit more of a challenge....

Disco19, you and SJ have something in common , spelling . He wont be going anywhere , hes just sold his house and is moving his family up , and besides hes not coming back until Iget up there and have a holiday.:thumbsu:

I think its a bit harsh saying that Cairns AFL is of a very poor standard. I have just come up to Cairns from down Hampden League one of the strongest in Victoria and have been very impressed with the standard. I came up here with the thought of it being a soft league. Once coming up here it is very challenging, the heat, the humidity through the pre-season and not to mention the speed of every game up here. Its so fast. Cairns AFL is in great shape with some fantastic young locals come up through the junior ranks. I think you are being a bit hard on a league which is about as far as you can get away from footy's home land of Vic. Some great players up here and is a very professional and good standard league.

Re: Cairns AFL - Are following people playing footy

Could any tell me if the following people are still playing footy in Cairns

Ben Meadows
Levi Meadows
Asher Meadows
Nat Bown
Lyle Bown
Richard Manning
Mat Manning
Ryan Haw

Can anyone tell me how Mark Kennedy is going this year, league medal winner last year, but not much has been said after the all the hype going into the 2007 season.

Would be fair to say the mighty hawks will go back-to-back this season, two games clear with a relevantly easy run home and coach Michael (Micky) Purcell has got them playing a good brand of football!

I think its a bit harsh saying that Cairns AFL is of a very poor standard. I have just come up to Cairns from down Hampden League one of the strongest in Victoria and have been very impressed with the standard. I came up here with the thought of it being a soft league. Once coming up here it is very challenging, the heat, the humidity through the pre-season and not to mention the speed of every game up here. Its so fast. Cairns AFL is in great shape with some fantastic young locals come up through the junior ranks. I think you are being a bit hard on a league which is about as far as you can get away from footy's home land of Vic. Some great players up here and is a very professional and good standard league.

As someone that has been around the traps I agree about the high standard of the league. Has certainly come ahead in leaps and bounds and will continue to improve due to the improved popularity and higher participation rates of junior players. Things are looking good for the league which is relatively even as well which is also a bonus.

Whats the go with the Cutters at the moment? Are they ravaged with injuries or just not quiet up to scratch? When is Angwin due to play again and who are the blokes playing well at the moment? How is Chip Douglas going with the Crocs? Any info would be gr8 as the Cairns AFL website does not have a lot of info on it.

Whats the go with the Cutters at the moment? Are they ravaged with injuries or just not quiet up to scratch? When is Angwin due to play again and who are the blokes playing well at the moment? How is Chip Douglas going with the Crocs? Any info would be gr8 as the Cairns AFL website does not have a lot of info on it.

Was up there on sat and watched cutters play hawks - good standard - Angwin played his first game and played well - hawks are a very well drilled team and move the ball well out of the back line - cutters aren't far of the mark and will improve - their better players were Shaw (FF) Hopgood(W) Jace Kelly (onball) and Angwin who rucked all day - fair crowd, great conditions, great facilities, well run league although umpiring left a little to be desired

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was up there on sat and watched cutters play hawks - good standard - Angwin played his first game and played well - hawks are a very well drilled team and move the ball well out of the back line - cutters aren't far of the mark and will improve - their better players were Shaw (FF) Hopgood(W) Jace Kelly (onball) and Angwin who rucked all day - fair crowd, great conditions, great facilities, well run league although umpiring left a little to be desired
Thanks Sparra for the info. Will be heading up that way a bit later in the year to have a look at the standard. Maybe around finals time where the best of the footy will be on display. Cheers :thumbsu:

Didnt Matt Walsh from Saints win it last year as well as kicking 100 goals?

Kennedy won previous year i believe.

Can anyone tell me how Mark Kennedy is going this year, league medal winner last year, but not much has been said after the all the hype going into the 2007 season.

Angwin was best on by a mile today and will only get better. The Cutters didn't play well but still won. They have a fair way to go and need to string a few wins in row together. Saints smashed Port by 15 goals and have picked up three new players, all guns. Hawks took Centrals to the cleaners. Hawks and Saints are the teams to watch. Both sides have spent big, although both say they dont pay their players, laughable really.

IS Angwin so far gone that he will never tempt recruiters again, i mean the bloke is a massive talent, i guess he may go down with the Cupido's of this world. Does anyone know what happened with Willie Broome in Cairns?

Steve Shaw for the Cutters looks a treat aswell, another 8 on the weekend.

Speaking to the great SJ last night , and was shocked to here about Lawrie and his team mate , must have been a fair hit . Great to see shawry playing well and the Cutters traveling along okay at the moment . :thumbsu:

Heard a rumour about the Saints coach (Mark Kennedy) getting thrown out of a pub the other night for having a go at a couple of blokes from the cutters while he was blind ******* drunk. Also had a crack at a few of his own blokes which is pretty shit on his behalf. Not very professional to be ******* and then mouthing off at your own players. Is this the norm up there or is it just a one off incident. I heard this league was better than that.

Yep herd same thing. Captain of a great club sitting second at the moment why go anywhere else

I don't think Walshy will be going anywhere either. I've heard the Kyabram rumour also, but I've heard from a friend of a friend who is up in Cairns that he has just bought a place up there. Don't think he would be up to playing in the Goulburn Valley League anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back