calder cannons team for 08

Remove this Banner Ad

anyone have any idea of what the cannons side will look like next year? whats the best team possible from there list at the moment?

SURNAME FIRST NAME CLUB​

TOY NICHOLAS ABERFELDIE
WHITE MARCUS ABERFELDIE
WOODBURN STEVEN ABERFELDIE
EZARD SAM BROADFORD
JOYCE DYLAN DOUTTA STARS
LUCIN TOMMY DOUTTA STARS
HUNTER THOMAS EAST KEILOR
DIMOND JESSE FITZROY
PICKERING WILL FITZROY
BISETTO DANIEL FITZROY JFC
McSWEENEY SAM FLEMINGTON
DOVE DARCY GISBORNE
FERRY RICHARD GISBORNE
TALIA DANIEL GREENVALE
TSARDAKIS CHRIS JNR KEILOR
WHITE BRENDAN MARIBYRNONG PARK U16B
GERMAN TOM OAK PARK
MELKSHAM JAKE OAK PARK
MEROLI ADAM PASCOE VALE
MEROLI DANIEL PASCOE VALE
TYDELL DEAN PASCOE VALE
TRENGOVE JACKSON PEGS
RICHMOND BEN ROMSEY
LYON KIERAN ROMSEY/LANCEFIELD
MENDICO THOMAS STRATHMORE
BURROWS CAM SUNBURY
McCALLUM STEPHEN TULLAMARINE
McKERNAN SHAUN TULLAMARINE​
McCANN BRAD WESTMEADOWS

TOY NICHOLAS ABERFELDIE​

WHITE MARCUS ABERFELDIE
WOODBURN STEVEN ABERFELDIE
EZARD SAM BROADFORD
JOYCE DYLAN DOUTTA STARS
LUCIN TOMMY DOUTTA STARS
HUNTER THOMAS EAST KEILOR
DIMOND JESSE FITZROY
PICKERING WILL FITZROY
BISETTO DANIEL FITZROY JFC
McSWEENEY SAM FLEMINGTON
DOVE DARCY GISBORNE
FERRY RICHARD GISBORNE
TALIA DANIEL GREENVALE
TSARDAKIS CHRIS JNR KEILOR
WHITE BRENDAN MARIBYRNONG PARK U16B
GERMAN TOM OAK PARK
MELKSHAM JAKE OAK PARK
MEROLI ADAM PASCOE VALE
MEROLI DANIEL PASCOE VALE
TYDELL DEAN PASCOE VALE
TRENGOVE JACKSON PEGS
RICHMOND BEN ROMSEY
LYON KIERAN ROMSEY/LANCEFIELD
MENDICO THOMAS STRATHMORE
BURROWS CAM SUNBURY
McCALLUM STEPHEN TULLAMARINE

McKERNAN SHAUN TULLAMARINE

McCANN BRAD WESTMEADOWS

Plus

Daniher, Ned
Laidley, Kane

IMO

Whats the red and black about??

Sorry mate - i'm a bit of an idiot. IMO the ones in red plus Daniher and Laidley shoudl get through. There are a few names on the list I have not heard of so will look forward to watching over the year.

The above list is not the full training list.

Wonder who their 19 year olds will be next year? Dulic? Buckley? Anybody got an idea?

Buckley and Phil Smith were slated to be the 19 year olds I reckon. With Smith going to Brisbane it will be interesting to see who they try and get to replace him. My candidates would be Dulic- suffered severe ankle injury which took him 2 years to get over. Ben Considine who is born late in the year and has a heap of development left in him or a smokey would be David Kovacevic who is a pretty raw tall who got little opportunity last year due to the strength of the side. Unfortunately David seems content to drink beer and eat pies at Greenvale footy club.

Sorry mate - i'm a bit of an idiot. IMO the ones in red plus Daniher and Laidley shoudl get through. There are a few names on the list I have not heard of so will look forward to watching over the year.

The above list is not the full training list.
Ahh ok fair enough.

Mendico is one you left out, played in the GF this year. Likely type very very quick.

Pretty hard to see their dominance in the draft dropping away too severely isnt it...you could easily see 4 or 5 of that lot being picked up.

Trengove and McKernan certainties.
Tsdarkis, Dulic (if applicable) M White, German, Pickering Chance.
Fewster, Dove, Buckley, Joyce Outside Chance.
Their side will be significantly weaker next year although they had six or seven U/15s in state side this year who could play as 16 year olds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trengove and McKernan certainties.
Tsdarkis, Dulic (if applicable) M White, German, Pickering Chance.
Fewster, Dove, Buckley, Joyce Outside Chance.
Their side will be significantly weaker next year although they had six or seven U/15s in state side this year who could play as 16 year olds.

Would need to grow about 6-7cm to even be considered for next year. Clubs just don't take kids his size, no matter how good they are.

Would need to grow about 6-7cm to even be considered for next year. Clubs just don't take kids his size, no matter how good they are.
That hurt for me to read as much as I'm willing to bet that it hurt for you to write it. :p

And Farmy is right. We'll draft one of their players next year. We can't go a draft without dipping into Calder. I'm convinced that we had a separate list for our first five picks and then a Calder specific list for our sixth pick. Aaron Kite was at the top of that list because alphabetically no one could beat Aaron. :D

He's not much shorter than Totino!!

I would say the smallest player selected this year was Wonaemirri at about 172cm. James Allan was rookied by Geelong at 171cm in 2004. I guess the difference is that Joyce is a small bodied 170cm, if he was fractionally taller and built more like a tank you never know.

He's not much shorter than Totino!!

I would say the smallest player selected this year was Wonaemirri at about 172cm. James Allan was rookied by Geelong at 171cm in 2004. I guess the difference is that Joyce is a small bodied 170cm, if he was fractionally taller and built more like a tank you never know.

I've never liked this trend tbh. Plenty of smaller blokes currently on AFL lists are still able to become elite players regardless of their lack of size. No reason Joyce forge a career as an AFL player, just as guys like Brent Harvey, Alwyn/Aaron Davey, David Rodan, etc do.

Not saying he will make it, but surely guys like this shouldn't just have a line through their name purely because they're too short, when guys on AFL lists currently are not just able to play at AFL level, but re more than capable of being match-winners.

Obviously there's a risk shorter blokes mightn't make it, but most players taken late or rookied don't either. If you lack size but bring enough to the table (like pace, skills, x-factor, etc), then I for one would have no hesitation taking them. For mine Joyce has enough pace and x-factor to at least punt on as a rookie. Personally I'm more worried about his kicking than his lack of height; it falls away under pressure too much and sometimes drops the footy 'two-handed'.

That hurt for me to read as much as I'm willing to bet that it hurt for you to write it. :p

And Farmy is right. We'll draft one of their players next year. We can't go a draft without dipping into Calder. I'm convinced that we had a separate list for our first five picks and then a Calder specific list for our sixth pick. Aaron Kite was at the top of that list because alphabetically no one could beat Aaron. :D

Been taking comedic lessons from Dennis Cometti?? ;):p

'Barlow to Bateman. The Hawks are attacking alphabetically...'

Ive played some junior footy against Joyce. He is short & very fragile. Easily under 170cm. But he is very very quick, silky smooth & his left foot hardly ever misses a target or a shot on goal. So it evens out i guess.

But in saying that, the Caruso brothers ar a great example of not being drafted because of the height factor.

we love talking about these small boys and seeing if they have a chance to get drafted, i have seen joyce his whole juniors right up to now, when he was younger he could get away with the kicking but now at this level it looks shocking that facts are he is quick, sliky and does have that ex factor but that kicking is what i would say shocking, he can't kick far without slewing it off the side of the boot, and the wa i see it ya mose well not geti it if your going to give it to the other team and i think a lot of afl recruiters would think the same.

Horrible dislocated shoulder in last praccy match for Ben Richmond which ruined large portion of season. Outstanding endurance athlete who lacks a bit of footy smarts and speed. One to watch with draft in mind if can improve weaknesses as has AFL body.

Remove this Banner Ad

calder cannons team for 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back