Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

We never overpaid for ahern, he may have underdelivered but cost nothing.
Pick 69!!

We could have had Nick Larkey instead!

Don't think we overpaid for JY either. Better than pick 1 that year. He'd easily be in the top ten players from that draft, picked outside the top 10.

Spoke to a few Bulldogs mates today. They reckon he is still ok and will play good footy for us. Obviously we sort of payed overs but if we can get 2-3 seasons of close to his best football then it will have been worth it.
Be nice to get 5 seasons and 100 games out of him!

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a bit confused why the general consensus is we paid overs with pick 25. I would have thought a player that has proven All-Australian caliber ability, no off-field red flags, leadership credentials, BnF in a successful year, no injury concerns, at a prime age of 28 would have demanded at the very least a pick in the early 20’s?

We could have given a future 2nd or 3rd, but if the Dogs wanted picks this year, what else are we going to give them?

If he didn’t have a down year this year, we would have paid way more than pick 25. I’d say we got him at his prime age at the best possible buying time.

And hallelujah a proper half back not a repurposed one.

I’m a bit confused why the general consensus is we paid overs with pick 25. I would have thought a player that has proven All-Australian caliber ability, no off-field red flags, leadership credentials, BnF in a successful year, no injury concerns, at a prime age of 28 would have demanded at the very least a pick in the early 20’s?

We could have given a future 2nd or 3rd, but if the Dogs wanted picks this year, what else are we going to give them?

If he didn’t have a down year this year, we would have paid way more than pick 25. I’d say we got him at his prime age at the best possible buying time.

There is an argument, which is valid.. lacking strong defensive attributes and pace. However, Daniel will be fine, will surprise a lot of people round ere and 100% be an important leader for our backline

At only 28 and with a relatively clean injury history, I think it's fair to expect the 2019 to 2022 version of Caleb Daniel to show up. Especially as a lot of his best attributes such as his kicking and vision aren't going anywhere.

In 2023 the Bulldogs moved Daniel further up the ground, as a sweeping midfielder, and then in 2024 he obviously had troubles sticking in the side. It's a similar story here to Shaun Higgins, who clearly had great footy left in the tank when we recruited him, but needed a team to play him in his best position.

The question to ask is why the Bulldogs didn't want Caleb Daniel in their backline. The answer is in part due to his obvious defensive limitations. The other thing to question is if the trending style of long fast ball movement has put less value on the typical short/medium precise kicking of Daniel.

They are fair things to question, however, while we build and develop our young group of defenders to hopefully both aggressively rebound and defend well (Josh Goater, Riley Hardeman, Brayden George, and Jackson Archer), Daniel is a great stop gap who will undoubtedly improve our side. Is he perfect, no, but he is a massive upgrade on what we have and I firmly believe you can still have a winning side with Caleb Daniel off half back.

It's not hard to see why Clarkson was a fan, as his dynastic Hawks were built around kicks like Daniel. With how much our half backs have been accumulating recently, you can likely pencil Daniel in to average close to thirty touches a game in his old role, and with his kicking that represents a ton of value.

The more I think about the trade, the more I'm excited by it. He isn't a perfect player, but you look at guys like Zac Fisher, Bailey Scott, and Darcy Tucker, and it's obvious that we've upgraded a ton.

I’d say him not being in the bulldogs best 22 is a red flag.

Him being a defender who can’t defend one-on-one because of his stature is a red flag too.

I think a lot of planning and team structures will go into Caleb not getting exposed defensively. I hope his distribution off hb will be worth it.

We have no idea how he will cope playing in a poor team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back