Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

You watch the tapes and are reminded that we completely lack players with his combination of decision making and kicking skills.

He doesn't panic as he sifts through the options, is very comfortable choosing a different target at the very last second and can see the weaknesses in zones.

Then with his execution, his ball drop is 10/10, very accurate, kicks with real penetration over 45 metres, disguises his intentions and can kick well on his left.

Also has that agility and speed over the first 5 metres to get out of pressure, creates a loose man and rebounds quickly.

Aside from what he'll bring in games, you hope and expect all these skills will transfer to the young guys coming through.

Love how Daniel plays, I'm more worried about whether certain players will fulfil their end of his smart decisions with their receiving lol. Will be good for our skilled kids though.

Just realised he was teammates at the dogs with our current backline coach Jed Adcock in 2016

Personally more than happy to pay slightly overs for a bloke that made it to the elite level based purely on hard work and was gifted minimal physical attributes.
And then excelled at the top level due to his skill and ability and not his "athletic potential".
Very happy he is on board.
Reeks of shinbone
He has plenty of physical attributes - speed, agility and endurance. Just not height.

Just realised he was teammates at the dogs with our current backline coach Jed Adcock in 2016
funny that
Think About It GIF by Identity

Gotta give him credit, he agreed to be traded to a club that his team smashed by 96 points...
Geelong smashed us by 77pts in 1992, in the next meeting lost by 24pts, in Geelong. Not using any comparisons, but it doesn't mean a lot. They (Footscray) only beat us by a few goals in the previous match and we made some horrendous stuff ups.

Geelong smashed us by 77pts in 1992, in the next meeting lost by 24pts, in Geelong. Not using any comparisons, but it doesn't mean a lot. They (Footscray) only beat us by a few goals in the previous match and we made some horrendous stuff ups.
I was at that game in Geelong when we won by 24 points with a Geelong m8 and I remember thinking we are going to be a really good side with all this young talent including Carey who was coming of age. We came from behind in the final qtr. It was worth the drive there from Langwarrin where I lived at the time. My Geelong m8 got his revenge in 1994 prelim when we were there again (The Ablett goal after the siren) but it was the start of a very special time for the Roos in the years to come. Hopefully history repeats itself soon

I used to work with a bloke who played a few games with Melbourne, but was a solid lifelong North supporter. He was a bit under 6'. His son was apparently a very decent player who won junior B&Fs at his club on the peninsula so the father had expected his son would be drafted, and hoped it would be to North.

But being shorter than his father meant that the young blokes never got a look in. The father was convinced that the recruiters were looking for athletes who they could teach to play football rather than footballers that may or may not be able to improve their athletic ability. And that shortarses need not apply.

Daniel seems to be an exception and good on him.

It's obvious though, that the old attitudes prevail. Barrett can take a long walk for all I care.
The narrative flip flopped. Around the 2000’s to 2010’s era, it was a “the fittest who can somewhat kick a footy with a height pre requisite” that was pretty much the consensus of what determined junior elite talent.

Perhaps the last decade has seen a significant shift in that. Daniel definitely broke the chain, could he have been the catalyst?

The narrative flip flopped. Around the 2000’s to 2010’s era, it was a “the fittest who can somewhat kick a footy with a height pre requisite” that was pretty much the consensus of what determined junior elite talent.

Perhaps the last decade has seen a significant shift in that. Daniel definitely broke the chain, could he have been the catalyst?
Lachie Neale I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back