Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

This again. As if 2 people on the Brisbane board means most. Stop exaggerating
you really want me to go back?. I reckon I could find 10. he was in trash form. 2 people? Now youre exaggerating.

that's where Rayner fans drop the ball. They ride the weekly roller coaster thinking that an 8 touch, 2 goal game moves the needle.

He needs a 20 touch, 5 goal haul or something to get me to notice him.

you really want me to go back?. I reckon I could find 10. he was in trash form. 2 people? Now youre exaggerating.

that's where Rayner fans drop the ball. They ride the weekly roller coaster thinking that an 8 touch, 2 goal game moves the needle.

He needs a 20 touch, 5 goal haul or something to get me to notice him.
3 quarters of the team were out of form we were 2-5 at the time!

He's playing his role, he isn't brillant but nor is he horrible and embarrassing as you've described him as. No one here is arguing he's in world beating form.

He's sitting around 7-9th in all of the fan B&F counts I've seen.

Last edited:
3 quarters of the team were out of form we were 2-5 at the time!

He's playing his role, he isn't brillant but nor is he horrible and embarrassing as you've described him as. No one here is arguing he's in world beating form.

He's sitting around 7-9th in all of the fan B&F counts I've seen.
what is his role though? On the weekend it was the first game all season where I've seen him have an impact defensively. So his role isn't to kick goals? (only 1.1 a game). He isn't applying defensive pressure (except for on the weekend). His role isn't to find the ball, because he can't get his hands on it. So what is his actual role? To take 1 good mark a game and then disappear?

He is playing for top 4 team with the worst defender on him. He should be doing much more than he is right now.

He's not embarrassing. But he is who he is. He's reached his peak. And if you study the 2017 draft and look at all of the draft picks, 30 others have flown past him.

I don't base my decision on stats. I base it on impact on a game, but I do weight Goals per game higher than other stats, assuming we're talking about 2 forwards.. I also base it not just on one year but on a whole career.
are you saying you watch every minute of every Brisbane game every week, every year??? that's all you do is pluck "stats"

what is his role though? On the weekend it was the first game all season where I've seen him have an impact defensively. So his role isn't to kick goals? (only 1.1 a game). He isn't applying defensive pressure (except for on the weekend). His role isn't to find the ball, because he can't get his hands on it. So what is his actual role? To take 1 good mark a game and then disappear?

He is playing for top 4 team with the worst defender on him. He should be doing much more than he is right now.

He's not embarrassing. But he is who he is. He's reached his peak. And if you study the 2017 draft and look at all of the draft picks, 30 others have flown past him.
I actually think we are getting close to agreeing. Fair points there.
I think his best role his as a forward with small stints in the middle. But he needs to find more consistency.
He's kicked 7 in the last 3 weeks so hopefully he is finding a bit. His GF was embarrassing.
Very frustrating player at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think we are getting close to agreeing. Fair points there.
I think his best role his as a forward with small stints in the middle. But he needs to find more consistency.
He's kicked 7 in the last 3 weeks so hopefully he is finding a bit. His GF was embarrassing.
Very frustrating player at times.
If Rayner plays full time forward, then what is a pass mark playing on the opposition worst defender? Best tall goes to Daniher, then Hipwood, the best small defender goes to Cameron, the 2nd best small defender goes to Bailey, then it's a flip of the coin between Lohman/Rayner/Morris for the 5th and 6th best defender.

For him to break out, I think it's a 50 goal season if he's playing forward.

dude, you're doing yourself any favours by suggesting Cam Rayner is in the same stratosphere as Fritsch. So I suggest you pick another player to compare him to.
Not if we’re talking 2024 season. Fritsch kicks more goals but you could make the case that Rayner does literally everything else better both offensively and defensively. The stats back that up

Not if we’re talking 2024 season. Fritsch kicks more goals but you could make the case that Rayner does literally everything else better both offensively and defensively. The stats back that up
I'm not even denying that. Fritsch really doesn't do anything other than kick an elite number of goals. But also, I would argue he is the most accurate kick for goal in the afl. But that's subjective. Just like every player he's had a few bad patches but over the last 4 years when teams are tearing their hair out with inaccurate conversion Fritsch usually makes teams pay.

Circa back to 2018 when Goodwin the master played him at half back when we had injuries and he did a good job there too so I'd argue he's more versatile. it's just that you'd never take him out of the forward line.

I'm not even denying that. Fritsch really doesn't do anything other than kick an elite number of goals. But also, I would argue he is the most accurate kick for goal in the afl. But that's subjective. Just like every player he's had a few bad patches but over the last 4 years when teams are tearing their hair out with inaccurate conversion Fritsch usually makes teams pay.

Circa back to 2018 when Goodwin the master played him at half back when we had injuries and he did a good job there too so I'd argue he's more versatile. it's just that you'd never take him out of the forward line.
How many games did he play at half back? Looks like he kicked 17 goals in the first 19 rounds, did he shift back after that?

Either way I’m not sure you can say he is more versatile given that he looks like he played 90% of his games as a FF, Rayner still pinch hits in the middle and does a pretty good job when in there, very good clearance player when on but it does seem like the coaching staff have decided he won’t play big midfield minutes for whatever reason

How many games did he play at half back? Looks like he kicked 17 goals in the first 19 rounds, did he shift back after that?

Either way I’m not sure you can say he is more versatile given that he looks like he played 90% of his games as a FF, Rayner still pinch hits in the middle and does a pretty good job when in there, very good clearance player when on but it does seem like the coaching staff have decided he won’t play big midfield minutes for whatever reason
ah sorry, got my years wrong. it was 2019. not sure which rounds but I know he played plenty of half back that year. maybe half the year.

Laughable Danster.

Of the 153 players categorised as forwards in the AFL in 2024 who have played 10 or more games, Rayner is ranked:

• 22nd for tackles
  • 38th for tackles inside 50
  • 29th for pressure acts

He is in the top 1/4 in each of these categories. The defensive side of his game has been hugely improved in 2024, this is the precise reason his ratings have risen to where he is now the 110th highest rated player to have played 10 or more games. 396 players are in the starting 22 each week, so Rayner is getting close to the top 25% in the AFL.

You ought to stop trying to mislead people.

Laughable Danster.

Of the 153 players categorised as forwards in the AFL in 2024 who have played 10 or more games, Rayner is ranked:

• 22nd for tackles
  • 38th for tackles inside 50
  • 29th for pressure acts

He is in the top 1/4 in each of these categories. The defensive side of his game has been hugely improved in 2024, this is the precise reason his ratings have risen to where he is now the 110th highest rated player to have played 10 or more games. 396 players are in the starting 22 each week, so Rayner is getting close to the top 25% in the AFL.

You ought to stop trying to mislead people.
The irony of you telling people that I'm trying to mislead people. You literally said that Worpel was better than Toby Greene and Rowbottom was better than Charlie Curnow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back