Cameron Bruce quits Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-quits-demons/story-e6frf9jf-1225948802994
The veteran late today told Demons coach Dean Bailey he would not accept the one-year offer on the table.

Bruce is poised to nominate for the AFL national draft, with Hawthorn emerging as a surprise suitor.

Bruce_246b.jpg
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-quits-demons/story-e6frf9jf-1225948802994

Do you want him at your club? If so, at what cost?

Rejected a 1 year extension at 31years? Who does he think he is.... He ain't gonna get 2 years from anyone. I reckon his career is over, VFL time buddy

Rejected a 1 year extension at 31years? Who does he think he is.... He ain't gonna get 2 years from anyone. I reckon his career is over, VFL time buddy

He will probably take a 1 year contract from any other club... Even if he were to stay and play a good year of footy, going by the past few years he probably wouldnt be given another extension next year.

Would be an ideal fit at Collingwood. You could play him off HBF as a playmaker, releasing Heath Shaw into the midfield.

Saint's don't have the cap space.

Most amusing that some Hawthorn fans think that Bruce is an elite kick. A versatile player certainly but never one blessed with great poise or disposal. When I think of Bruce this year I think of him taking a mark or getting a free across half back then ignoring the first, second and third options before being forced into a panic kick or handball when the ump finally blows his whistle.

Happy the club held their nerve. Bruce is 31 and has been amply rewarded by the Dees for his services but his place in the pecking order at the Dees has slipped since he signed that deal and a substantial pay cut was always on the cards.

Obviously there are clubs prepared to pay more than we are so I can understand why as a professional he would make a commercial decision to move. At the same time having watched him play I don't think it'll be seen as a good commercial decision by the club he ends up at.

As with Junior his departure lets the Dees get more games and game time into our many young players as we develop a team capable of delivering Number 13. In Bruce's case at 20 Morton is a ready made versatile tall utility replacement who has the potential to be a better player than Bruce ever was.

Just wants a premiership before retiring obviously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wants a premiership before retiring obviously?
What he wants is to not be retired regardless of form at the end of the year like Junior was.

My info is that he's happy to sign a one year deal but wants to be at a club where after he signs a one year deal if he's playing best 22 footy he'll get another one. There was no guarantee of that at the dees.

Nor is there at any other club, as if he goes to a top 8 team that heads south he'll be out the door in a flash (see Trav Johnstone). But if he signs for a year at the hawks and they improve and finish top 4 and he plays best 22 footy for the majority of the season they will almost certainly keep him.

In Bruce's case at 20 Morton is a ready made versatile tall utility replacement who has the potential to be a better player than Bruce ever was.

there is a thread on the main board about what a great football family the Daniher's are. They are a family who squeezed every bit out of the talent that they were born with. the Mortons are polar opposites and are set to waste the enormous talent they have. There is still hope for Cale, but he looks like a dumb lazy squib to me.

there is a thread on the main board about what a great football family the Daniher's are. They are a family who squeezed every bit out of the talent that they were born with. the Mortons are polar opposites and are set to waste the enormous talent they have. There is still hope for Cale, but he looks like a dumb lazy squib to me.

Mitch Morton is really putting his head down & showed a heap of potential as a big bodied mid second half of 2010 & everybody already knows how dangerous he is as a foward.

Cale looks a very diffrent type which is an accumulator of possetions but still only 20 so cant really judge him yet.

Will end up at the GC I reckon, seem like a good fit for him.

Doubt it, he'll want a crack at a flag, and he hasn't got long left.

The question is, do the Saints have the cap space?

The huge cost for melbourne is that the player who replaces Bruce is a 5th round selection in the rookie draft. They can't replace him in the national draft as he on the vets list.

is he going to put a price on his head or sumthing? if he goes to ND, he can't really choose can he?

He can put a price on his head if he wants.

Due to his age, probably only 3 or 4 clubs would look at him anyway.

He can put a price on his head if he wants.

Due to his age, probably only 3 or 4 clubs would look at him anyway.

There'd be no doubt he'd get to where he wants to go.

No club is going to select a 31 year old mid-tier bloke against their will.

The last time it happened would have been when WC took Tim Watson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cameron Bruce quits Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back