Recommitted Charlie Cameron [Signs until 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it depends on if Brisbane can get draft capital + replace at the same time. They probably feel comfortable with Lohmann, Bailey, Ah Chee as that small forward line up though so it will be a case of taking that 700k and turning it into a instant best 22 player of some sort, whether that be a winger or a ruck or medium forward

I could see some interest in your Ned Moyle, Liam Reidy from Dockers. Then also in free agents like Will Hayward/Cam Zurhaar/Perryman with that money Cameron leaves behind, believing they can get 1 of them based on the fact they are competing for a flag, even after a shit year

Jeez, with Charlie Cameron, Liam Baker, the two Warner Brothers, Logan McDonald and Cam Zurhaar all coming back home we might have to petition the AFL to open up extra list spots.
Going to be a very Purple Xmas this year by the sounds !!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jeez, with Charlie Cameron, Liam Baker, the two Warner Brothers, Logan McDonald and Cam Zurhaar all coming back home we might have to petition the AFL to open up extra list spots.
Going to be a very Purple Xmas this year by the sounds !!!

What makes you think any of those are coming to Fremantle 😉

Last edited:

What makes you think any of those are coming to Fremantle 😉

Having a laugh about the rumour mill of players “moving”.

Probably most won’t move, but the rumour mill is rolling with a lot of cheeky comments.

A lot of wishful thinking, but I doubt many punters put serious credit, at present with the moves.

Having a laugh about the rumour mill of players “moving”.

Probably most won’t move, but the rumour mill is rolling with a lot of cheeky comments.

A lot of wishful thinking, but I doubt many punters put serious credit, at present with the moves.

Exactly, even one of those would be handy but zero expectations.
Just nice to actually be linked (however tenuously) to a few decent players - what’s the opposite word to exodus ? (Asking for David King)

That depends on whether brisbane think they are in contention next year.

Issue with trading Cameron is that I think we will think we are in contention next year, even despite what we've seen this year. I'm not saying we will be, but with Coleman and Doedee back from around the start of the year, Will Ashcoft with a full pre-season and Levi Ashcroft coming in, and a large bulk of our players in their prime, I think we'll try to bounce back and contend.

Issue with trading Cameron is that I think we will think we are in contention next year, even despite what we've seen this year. I'm not saying we will be, but with Coleman and Doedee back from around the start of the year, Will Ashcoft with a full pre-season and Levi Ashcroft coming in, and a large bulk of our players in their prime, I think we'll try to bounce back and contend.

You’ve got a pretty good run home, you may even find yourself a sneaky chance for finals this year - but if the whispers are correct it’s not really a list management decision, more a HR one.
Will be a big loss for you if he does go which you may not feel fully compensated for given his age but may help you get a war chest of picks for father son etc. 🤷‍♂️

With additions of two Ashcrofts, a bit more luck with injuries and only zorko retiring. Not sure why Brisbane would think otherwise.

Personally i think their window has past but i can see why they might think that way.

Collingwood gave us two first “teen” rounders for a busted up Dayne Beams after he won our BnF, so a contracted Charles would have to be worth a decent first rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood gave us two first “teen” rounders for a busted up Dayne Beams after he won our BnF, so a contracted Charles would have to be worth a decent first rounder.
They drafted Jaidyn Stephenson at Pick 6.

What they have done in the past should have no bearing on what they do in the future

Personally i think their window has past but i can see why they might think that way.

Fair enough to have that opinion, but literally no reason the club shouldn't operate as if they can contend with an easier draw next year. The coach is going into the last year of his deal and Neale will be 31/32, last chance to try win a flag with that list will be 2025/6.

There's no point in getting a draft pick for Charlie when he's probably only worth a pick in the late teens, which would be eaten up by the Ashcroft bid and wouldn't really help us trade up into the top 2-3 picks to get ahead of the bid. With a few more academy players being draft options too this is the worst year for us to get more draft picks.

Nothing about trading charlie makes sense unless there are significant personal issues involved - and even if there are, I'm finding it hard to see how a deal can work for Brisbane.

Throw in that Charlie's agent is Colin Young who negotiates through media and you start to see what this could really be about. There was media speculation about him being a trade target when he was last out of contract in 2020, only for him to sign a big deal 5-6 weeks later, and I'm sceptical that anything happens here too.

Last edited:
Genuinely though, he's not being traded unless it's kind of a mutual agreement to part ways, so what do people think he's worth? I would be very reluctant to give up a top 20 pick for a 30 year old, even if exactly what Freo need on paper. I find him very hard to value.

Brisbane could go with Levi, Lohman and Bailey as their "smalls" next year.

He's worth more to brisbane than any opposition club should want to pay, and what Brisbane would actually get in a trade would be less than they can afford to accept.

Having said that I still think a contending club could take a punt and pay 'overs' - who cares about a draft pick if he can help you win finals? Would make total sense for Carlton to give up a first round pick at say around 16, particularly with this year having enough father sons and academy prospects to push that pick outside of 20. Problem is, Carlton's first rounder is useless to Brisbane this year.

A 'top 20' pick for the last few years has pretty quickly become a mid to late 20s pick. Last year was an outlier, but the second round started at Pick 30 lol.

Actually reminds me a lot of the Neale trade saga in 2021 where I think Freo wanted him a lot less than he potentially wanted to go there, and he ended up staying once cooler heads thought through how realistic a move was (thanks Ryan Daniels for spooking him too).

Last edited:
Yeah, with the likes of Ashcroft X 2, plus Coleman and Doedee ready from the start of next season, and McCarthy in the second half of next season, and Zorko being the only current best 22 player potentially hanging up the boots, letting Cameron go, particularly without someone of equal or greater value filling his spot, would be setting the lions back.

So unless they get an equal or better replacement, they should hold onto him, but that won’t stop others throwing the kitchen sink.

Don't usually give credence to rumours but according to champion data his output is down 40% on last season, his confidence is down clearly theres something going on, whether there was something to Vegas stories, whether there is anything to this, who knows?
Still a long way to go in the season and Charlie is the type of player who's form could turn in an instead and he could go on a great run. He is putting in the work- his running and tackling/pressure numbers are actually up on last year I believe. Just needs to kick start himself. A lot like our whole team really.
I know his brother was delisted but does he still live in WA?

Don't usually give credence to rumours but according to champion data his output is down 40% on last season, his confidence is down clearly theres something going on, whether there was something to Vegas stories, whether there is anything to this, who knows?
Still a long way to go in the season and Charlie is the type of player who's form could turn in an instead and he could go on a great run. He is putting in the work- his running and tackling/pressure numbers are actually up on last year I believe. Just needs to kick start himself. A lot like our whole team really.
I know his brother was delisted but does he still live in WA?
Yeah, brother plays for a WAFL team

Genuinely though, he's not being traded unless it's kind of a mutual agreement to part ways, so what do people think he's worth? I would be very reluctant to give up a top 20 pick for a 30 year old, even if exactly what Freo need on paper. I find him very hard to value.

Brisbane could go with Levi, Lohman and Bailey as their "smalls" next year.

His value is higher than any team would give for him. Both onfield and commercially.

Every Lions supporter, myself included, loves Charlie.

There is unfortunately no way you let him out of his deal. He is contracted until the end of next year and we are in our window next year for a flag. He is 30 this year, 31 next year. He has to play well next year for the best possible deal he can get, $$ and years matter. His post 2025 deal with likely be his last or at least his last substantive deal. There is also a chance given his age that if a team can't get him this year the interest in him wanes substantially.

Worst case scenario we have him play next year for us in a contract year while we are in our flag window and then he goes to another team in 2026. Not the worst outcome going around.

My guess is he just wants to drum up the $$ for his next deal, which is fair enough. Freo is kinda the perfect team to drum up value - lots of currency, family ties and list need.

Colin Young is very very predictable lol.

From Jon ralph/Jay Clark today:

CHARLIE HAPPY TO STAY

Charlie Cameron is keen to stay at the Brisbane Lions and sign a new extension this year despite rival interest in a player who becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of 2025.

Cameron is happy in Brisbane despite a rocky start to the season and turns 30 in July, with clubs increasingly signing up free agents a year ahead of schedule.

He believes he can play well into his 30s and would ideally like to have his future made clear by the end of this season.

It means clubs will continue to ask about him but the highly likely scenario is that the Lions tuck him away with a new contract before he comes out next year.

Brisbane has cap space to secure its next free agent Jarrod Berry, who wants to remain at the Lions, after securing Hugh McCluggage on a new long-term deal.

Freo fans after they fooled themselves into thinking they were going to get Charlie Cameron for a third round pick

crushed noo GIF

Classic Freo

Freo fans after they fooled themselves into thinking they were going to get Charlie Cameron for a third round pick

crushed noo GIF

Classic Freo
You're being disingenuous. For an expected grand final playing team, currently sitting 13th on the ladder, there is something very wrong culturally at Brisbane this year. If a disgruntled player wants out and wants to go home, it is reasonable for a potential suiter to low ball as a starting point. Every team's BF board would do the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Charlie Cameron [Signs until 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back