Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Define a group of people. Do you have a website/Blog. If not why not. Your answer IMHO is deliberately vague, like your reluctant to disclose who they are.
Your group obviously has access to a lot of interesting information which has been revealed on this forum, and should be shared widely don`t you think.
It appears your group is getting access to some info not generally available, or they do a lot of browsing, or are connected or part of an Overseas League, which may communicate with the AFL International Development Dept.

Yes. All this is freely available online.

AFLNZ made the point on the Posts, and also other stuff including the TV coverage, and Sponsorship.
Duke FTA is a medium to long term situation to possibly effect a generational change over there. The Posts affect is immediate particularly to passers by from the New Zealand community, which AFLNZ was trying to point out.

Whatever.
IMO FTA coverage is a game changer like it was in North America (while it lasted). Lack of exposure is a common criticism of the AFL.
North Harbour is a sports reserve. Goal posts are great emotion for the league but not highly visible and effective like some in Sydney.

Yes. All this is freely available online.

Whatever.
IMO FTA coverage is a game changer like it was in North America (while it lasted). Lack of exposure is a common criticism of the AFL.
North Harbour is a sports reserve. Goal posts are great emotion for the league but not highly visible and effective like some in Sydney.

Of course I remember now who you are. I contacted you before I started re-posting here again a while back.
You commented at that time that this International Footy Forum was dead so I thought I will start posting again.
You also commented that you were in a group that would never post here because of all the trolls, and they decided to be in a private group.
Regrettably I cannot say what I really think about that attitude due to forum rules.
Anyhow they are just your opinions, which really do not matter.

Have you ever lived in Sydney or a non AFL heartland area - I have.
Getting "Permanent Aussie Rules Goal Posts Erected" sends a message, AFL NZ specifically mentioned them because of that reason. If you cannot grasp what the message is well?????
Just curious - You keep saying we`re (We are) doing this or waiting for that -Who is we are?????.
Don't think it mentioned permanent goal posts going up did it?

Don't think it mentioned permanent goal posts going up did it?

Extracted from the article below - However reading it a second time it is not clear when. It mentions hybrid grass going in on March 2017.
Maybe the posts for the next Premiership season at QBE.
Its a lot better look than temporary ones which disappear after the matches.
AFLNZ are on the ground there and they know the local Community better than us, and if they say it will cause a stir it is likely it will.

"Regional Facilities Auckland has been an essential partner in assisting our domestic competitions and the establishment of a new ground for the AFL New Zealand Premiership at QBE Stadium on Auckland’s North Shore. The ground condition and facilities has been a massive boost for local players and this will be further extended when a new hybrid turf field becomes available in mid March 2017. The first competitive sports match on the oval that backs on to the QBE Stadium will certainly cause a stir as the AFL posts are erected for the first time."

Lots of local Rugby/Soccer matches are played in the winter, and attended by their supporters, who will note the arrival of the posts.
http://www.aucklandstadiums.co.nz/sites/Venues/qbe-stadium

Extracted from the article below - However reading it a second time it is not clear when. It mentions hybrid grass going in on March 2017.
Maybe the posts for the next Premiership season at QBE.
Its a lot better look than temporary ones which disappear after the matches.
AFLNZ are on the ground there and they know the local Community better than us, and if they say it will cause a stir it is likely it will.

"Regional Facilities Auckland has been an essential partner in assisting our domestic competitions and the establishment of a new ground for the AFL New Zealand Premiership at QBE Stadium on Auckland’s North Shore. The ground condition and facilities has been a massive boost for local players and this will be further extended when a new hybrid turf field becomes available in mid March 2017. The first competitive sports match on the oval that backs on to the QBE Stadium will certainly cause a stir as the AFL posts are erected for the first time."

Lots of local Rugby/Soccer matches are played in the winter, and attended by their supporters, who will note the arrival of the posts.
http://www.aucklandstadiums.co.nz/sites/Venues/qbe-stadium
"The afl posts will be erected for the first time"

Doesn't meant they'll remain up once the game is over.

Posts in Australia are only up for the footy season. So even if they are not pulled down straight away, they will be eventually.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Posts in Australia are only up for the footy season. So even if they are not pulled down straight away, they will be eventually.

Yeah but TWLS is claiming it's a win for the sport because people will see the four posts going past QBE each day. I'm just not sure they'll remain up for more than the 3 hours a week they're used for so not really anyone will notice.

Fwiw the duke coverage means a lot more than having goal posts nowhere near where anyone lives for a few hours a week

Yeah but TWLS is claiming it's a win for the sport because people will see the four posts going past QBE each day. I'm just not sure they'll remain up for more than the 3 hours a week they're used for so not really anyone will notice.

Again, people seem to be arguing sheep stations for a black/white result whilst the answer is grey.
The erection of Australian football goalposts will always spark some interest. As usual, it's a question of degree.
It's not in a high density residential area or beside a high volume roadway that could noticed by the general population.
It's in a sports complex so it will be noticed by other sports people who are usually committed to their sport, but you never know.
It's a sports complex so I don't see the need to remove them and if they are half substantial then people will be reluctant to remove them.
Photographs show four separate grounds and other sports can always use the ground inside the posts.
North Harbour is being increasingly used by Australian Football so I would suggest these posts are of the substantial kind.
Heck they might not even remove them for the cricket season.

Yeah but TWLSFwiw the duke coverage means a lot more than having goal posts nowhere near where anyone lives for a few hours a week

Duke coverage means a lot more. period.

Not where I live in the Northern Coastal Suburbs in the Joondalup Council area. In the local parks they are permanent, and in the school ovals.
Not where I drive regularly down Orrong Road thru Vic Park out to Armadale
We have regular visitors from Victoria in the Summer who comment on the Goal Posts still being up.
However in the newer areas with the sharing of grounds with Socca the posts disappear.
It all depends where you live now.

Again, people seem to be arguing sheep stations for a black/white result whilst the answer is grey.
The erection of Australian football goalposts will always spark some interest. As usual, it's a question of degree.
It's not in a high density residential area or beside a high volume roadway that could noticed by the general population.
It's in a sports complex so it will be noticed by other sports people who are usually committed to their sport, but you never know.
It's a sports complex so I don't see the need to remove them and if they are half substantial then people will be reluctant to remove them.
Photographs show four separate grounds and other sports can always use the ground inside the posts.
North Harbour is being increasingly used by Australian Football so I would suggest these posts are of the substantial kind.
Heck they might not even remove them for the cricket season.

Duke coverage means a lot more. period.
Pretty sure when I drive past it I can't see them there and it's the middle of winter and not cricket season at all. But then again it's a sports complex so hard to see much other than the north harbour rugby signs around there

Fwiw the duke coverage means a lot more than having goal posts nowhere near where anyone lives for a few hours a week

Why did AFLNZ say they will cause a bit of stir then. Your involved with the game over there how about finding out if they are permanent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did AFLNZ say they will cause a bit of stir then.

Because other sports will notice that Australian Football has joined them at North Harbour Stadium.
Because it will be an emotional symbol to Australian Football followers, a sign of achievement.

I have travelled a lot and every time I attend a game of Australian Football overseas I see it generate a lot of interest from passersby.
Much more interest in the game of Australian Football than the four posts.
I imagine the success of Australian Football at North Harbour would create a bit of a stir
but "a bit of a stir" probably wont leverage much development.

The problem about trying to "create a stir" in NZ is the kiwis don't want to acknowledge sports that they're not better than Australia in. Cricket and soccer get treated with contempt and so too does league to a lesser extent. If they aren't a chance to actually beat us they won't care for it at all. Not sure regular games in Auckland with 38-44 Aussies running around will do much to change that opinion

The problem about trying to "create a stir" in NZ is the kiwis don't want to acknowledge sports that they're not better than Australia in. Cricket and soccer get treated with contempt and so too does league to a lesser extent. If they aren't a chance to actually beat us they won't care for it at all. Not sure regular games in Auckland with 38-44 Aussies running around will do much to change that opinion

That's true of most minority sports everywhere at local level.
There's much better support at representative level.
I imagine the national league will leverage more interest.

That's true of most minority sports everywhere at local level.
There's much better support at representative level.
I imagine the national league will leverage more interest.
Not necessarily. They've got the national a league with their own side and players in there and it gets next to no airtime at all on the free to air news

If that's your measure of "interest' then that is not unexpected.
There are many national competitions in Australia in the same position.
How do you grow interest with 0 coverage. Word of mouth isn't going to make much of an impact or care factor for a sport.

Put it this way if the saints played here in Auckland 3 years straight the crowds would drop year on year. First year bit of buzz 20-25k. Second year only people who already watch AFL will go plus a few others 14-18k. Third year just die hard AFL people will go and I doubt there's 8k of those

How do you grow interest with 0 coverage. Word of mouth isn't going to make much of an impact or care factor for a sport.

Put it this way if the saints played here in Auckland 3 years straight the crowds would drop year on year. First year bit of buzz 20-25k. Second year only people who already watch AFL will go plus a few others 14-18k. Third year just die hard AFL people will go and I doubt there's 8k of those
It depends on what sort of interest you are trying to grow. Based on A-league crowds and ratings, interest is not high in the A league, but participation is awesome. Word of mouth isn't going to create an AFL game attending, regular TV watching fan (much, you will get a few), but it can get you participants.

It is taking the word of mouth interest, and junior programs, and tying them together into self sustaining comps that is the issue. Increasing the profile at a local level, increasing the power and reach of word of mouth can help enormously in this regard.

There are 2 sorts of promotion that needs to occur, each is different, and achieve different things, but they feed off each other.

First is promotion of the elite game, getting it seen on TV, talked about in the press. This primarily is aimed at getting fans of the AFL, and you can be a fan of the AFL without having the slightest desire to play footy.
Second is grass roots/local/word of mouth. This is getting people of their bums and down to the local club to give it a try, you can play local footy, without paying much attention to the AFL.

Its obviously easier marketing the AFL in a community with local footy, and people are more likely to be enticed to play if they have enjoyed watching on TV.

Either can work in a way by itself, but the ultimate goal is the person who watches AFL on TV, then puts on their boots and goes to their local club to play.

How do you grow interest with 0 coverage.

I'm a bit confused at what direction you're going now.
What are you suggesting should be done ?

There are national competitions in Australia that receive zero attention and generate zero interest.
There are national competitions in Australia that receive attention and generate zero interest.
At the end of the day, you have to have a good product. That's what sells.
Just about all organic growth is from people who came across Australian Football and thought it was an interesting product.
In the absence of high profile games, FTA TV, media coverage and school programs then word-of-mouth is your best bet.
Saying that the national AFL receives no coverage seems a little gratuitous considering the investment in New Zealand.
Give it time and people will recognize a quality competition.

I'm a bit confused at what direction you're going now.
What are you suggesting should be done ?

There are national competitions in Australia that receive zero attention and generate zero interest.
There are national competitions in Australia that receive attention and generate zero interest.
At the end of the day, you have to have a good product. That's what sells.
Just about all organic growth is from people who came across Australian Football and thought it was an interesting product.
In the absence of high profile games, FTA TV, media coverage and school programs then word-of-mouth is your best bet.
Saying that the national AFL receives no coverage seems a little gratuitous considering the investment in New Zealand.
Give it time and people will recognize a quality competition.
I'm saying the main AFL has pretty much 0 coverage over here. One or two live games a week (down from 4). I think the afl has driven people away from it by enforcing getting the watchafl league pass which stops the casual channel flicker getting into the game

I'm saying the main AFL has pretty much 0 coverage over here. One or two live games a week (down from 4). I think the afl has driven people away from it by enforcing getting the watchafl league pass which stops the casual channel flicker getting into the game

Might be only 2 live matches, but they are showing replays and delayed coverage every day over there on TVNZ Duke. You can watch 3 AFL games on a Saturday on FTA tv in NZ - Fri nights replay, live saturday and delayed saturday.

This week TVNZ is scheduled to show

Tue - AFL Replay 9.35am - Port v Lions
Wed - AFL Replay 9.30am - Suns v Blues
Thu - AFL Replay 9.30am - Dogs v Dees
Thu - AFL Delay 11.50pm - Crows v Hawks
Fri - AFl Replay 9.30am - Crows v hawks
Fri - AFL delay 11.50pm - Swans v Bombers
Sat - AFl replay 10.30am - Swans v Bombers
Sat - AFL Live 3.30pm - Collingwood v Port
Sat - AFL delay 10.40pm - West Coast v Melb
Sun - AFL replay 10.05am - West Coast v Melb
Sun - AFL Live 3pm - Geelong v Fremantle