Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Might be only 2 live matches, but they are showing replays and delayed coverage every day over there on TVNZ Duke. You can watch 3 AFL games on a Saturday on FTA tv in NZ - Fri nights replay, live saturday and delayed saturday.

This week TVNZ is scheduled to show

Tue - AFL Replay 9.35am - Port v Lions
Wed - AFL Replay 9.30am - Suns v Blues
Thu - AFL Replay 9.30am - Dogs v Dees
Thu - AFL Delay 11.50pm - Crows v Hawks
Fri - AFl Replay 9.30am - Crows v hawks
Fri - AFL delay 11.50pm - Swans v Bombers
Sat - AFl replay 10.30am - Swans v Bombers
Sat - AFL Live 3.30pm - Collingwood v Port
Sat - AFL delay 10.40pm - West Coast v Melb
Sun - AFL replay 10.05am - West Coast v Melb
Sun - AFL Live 3pm - Geelong v Fremantle

Thats not exactly zero coverage,
This week is a good week with 2 live games. It can vary from 1-3 live games this year. Dwn from 4 every week last year

Also have a look at some of the times of those games lol

Tues, Weds & Thurs at 9am. Good time for the young people they try and get into the game. Plus they're about 3-5 days after the fact so if anyone cares about the game they've already watched it.

Of the 11 games you listed only 4 are at a decent time & day

This week is a good week with 2 live games. It can vary from 1-3 live games this year. Dwn from 4 every week last year

Also have a look at some of the times of those games lol

Tues, Weds & Thurs at 9am. Good time for the young people they try and get into the game. Plus they're about 3-5 days after the fact so if anyone cares about the game they've already watched it.

Of the 11 games you listed only 4 are at a decent time & day

Not really the point. You said 0 coverage, and that is absolutely not true.

Surely you could just state what the coverage is in NZ and people can add their own qualitative adjective
depending what side of the fence they sit.
There's no set amount of games live per week and the replays bar the Saturday and Sunday morning ones aren't really relevant to anyone that works 7-5 or is at school.

It can vary from 1 to 3 live games a week depending on who plays the Saturday and Sunday afternnon games. Last year it was guaranteed Friday night, Saturday arvo, the channel 7 Saturday night game & Sunday arvo and was fantastic. Now you can't even be certain that a blockbuster Friday (or Thursday) night game is shown anymore. And it's not like Duke has anything more pressing to show. Pretty sure the season opener and other Friday night games have been booted for shows like Mythbusters and Megafactories

There's no set amount of games live per week and the replays bar the Saturday and Sunday morning ones aren't really relevant to anyone that works 7-5 or is at school.

It can vary from 1 to 3 live games a week depending on who plays the Saturday and Sunday afternnon games. Last year it was guaranteed Friday night, Saturday arvo, the channel 7 Saturday night game & Sunday arvo and was fantastic. Now you can't even be certain that a blockbuster Friday (or Thursday) night game is shown anymore. And it's not like Duke has anything more pressing to show. Pretty sure the season opener and other Friday night games have been booted for shows like Mythbusters and Megafactories

That's strange, because I see something like this every week.

18921949_1752806108064774_9040882978100916873_n.jpg

Well done you posted 1 live game just there which is exactly what I said

You said "zero coverage". I don't consider four games of AFL as zero coverage.
I would have expected the concise description as "four AFL games with only one game live".
I don't see replays as any sort of disadvantage.
Are you say that the AFL results and news are common knowledge in N.Z. as to constitute a spoiler ?

You said "zero coverage". I don't consider four games of AFL as zero coverage.
I would have expected the concise description as "four AFL games with only one game live".
I don't see replays as any sort of disadvantage.
Are you say that the AFL results and news are common knowledge in N.Z. as to constitute a spoiler ?
I said above it's not 0 coverage just that it's shit coverage compared to last year where there was 4 live games a week + replays.

People who are into the footy here will know the result before watching the Saturday morning replay of the Friday night game, or a Friday morning replay of the Thursday night game. A casual passer by Duke wont know the result but how many casual viewers are there Friday 7-10am, Saturday 12-3pm is a good time, Sunday 11-2pm not the best to catch viewers.

Yes you did.

You've been back-pedaling ever since.
We're talking about growing the game.
An AFL fan who's really concerned about scores etc can simply buy the AFLpass.
It's 1 coverage then rather than 0. More than happy to correct myself. Quite often left with 1 live game after having 4 the season before. Does that sound like growing the game?

A casual watcher of sport is very unlikely in NZ to be home Saturday morning to watch a replay of the game as they'll be out at club rugby. Duke don't release any TV ratings over here but I reckon those replays would be lucky to hit 5 digits. I think it's struggled this year with 1/4 of the coverage from last year to grow the game hence my comment on 0 coverage when really it's 1 live game a week. Will be interesting to see if there still are 6 sides in the Auckland mens comp this season, 2 sides last year had 6-14 players most weeks. The youth comp in summer is growing the game but that runs from about Oct-Feb and the kids have 0 games to watch in that time so you've gotta hope they're well and truly hooked enough to want to watch 1 live game & a few replays during the season if they're going to be super keen on it.

Does that sound like growing the game?

This looks like growing the game.

2017-Duke-Schedule-Round-14.png

Most people would say that is is growing the game.
Along with the comprehensive schools programs.
The creation of a professionally run national AFL competition.
The acquisition of a playing playing at a high-profile sporting ground.
Not to mention the erection of goal posts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This looks like growing the game.

Most people would say that is is growing the game.
Along with the comprehensive schools programs.
The creation of a professionally run national AFL competition.
The acquisition of a playing playing at a high-profile sporting ground.
Not to mention the erection of goal posts.
How's it growing? It's gone backwards from last year where there were 4 LIVE games a week plus those replays. It's lost tv time on a channel that has 1% reach in NZ.

The schools program is doing very well but its main development program and national and regional leagues are played in late spring. In that time the game is front of mind there is actually no footy to watch to properly get them and their families into it.

The national comp is still in its infancy and is as professionally run as most local comps. It's great for the development of the better talent pool. Should be interesting to see how that translates in results at the IC. Really should be top 3 and give PNG and Ireland a run for its money.

Don't get me started on the goal posts. They're not visible from the road that's for sure. Might have to drive into the complex to see them but when I drive past I can't see any. I guess it will at least get people going to rugby, soccer, swimming nearby to ask the question of what are those 4 posts (if they are permanent)

How's it growing? It's gone backwards from last year

This is hardly backwards to a significant degree. Apart from the number of live games it's the same as most of Australia.

on a channel that has 1% reach in NZ.

Is this like you "zero coverage" remark ? Come on.

This is hardly backwards to a significant degree. Apart from the number of live games it's the same as most of Australia.

Is this like you "zero coverage" remark ? Come on.
No it's from the only tv ratings report from last year. Their nightly peak is 1% reach.

It's backwards from last year. Backwards doesn't = growth. 2 live games this weekend is not bad. But like I said last year had the Thursday (if there was one) and Friday night games live at a great viewing time of 9.30pm. We also had a live Saturday night game at a good viewing time of 9.30pm. Now it's one or two games in the afternoon which won't get the ratings those night games they've lost did.

I'd be very surprised if this was a Duke decision because they'd rather show Megastructures on a Friday night. It has to be the afl not wanting the games shown here and trying to push the afl pass, which they do continually in the 1-2 live games.

It's backwards from last year. Backwards ....

A slight adjustment to coverage doesn't correlate to Australian Football is going backwards.
You didn't mention the highlights package either.

"TVNZ and the Duke Channel have provided AFL with the ability to promote the game with confidence. Showcased on both SKY and Freeview, the 2016 AFL Premiership appeared on NZ screens in unprecedented levels. Screens were not restricted to New Zealand households and with TVNZ on demand, securing the ability to simulcast live matches, phones, computers and tablet screens broadcast live AFL to millions of New Zealanders at no cost."

Somehow I'm more inclined to believe the AFLNZ CEO's report rather than you "0 coverage" and "1% reach" of jd.

Tell us jd about your connection with Australian Football. Are you associated with a team ?

A slight adjustment to coverage doesn't correlate to Australian Football is going backwards.
You didn't mention the highlights package either.

"TVNZ and the Duke Channel have provided AFL with the ability to promote the game with confidence. Showcased on both SKY and Freeview, the 2016 AFL Premiership appeared on NZ screens in unprecedented levels. Screens were not restricted to New Zealand households and with TVNZ on demand, securing the ability to simulcast live matches, phones, computers and tablet screens broadcast live AFL to millions of New Zealanders at no cost."

Somehow I'm more inclined to believe the AFLNZ CEO's report rather than you "0 coverage" and "1% reach" of jd.

Tell us jd about your connection with Australian Football. Are you associated with a team ?
The 2016 season your quote says. The 2016 season had very good coverage.

It's the 2017 season that's struggles to keep up hence my comment about the game going backwards with its reach this year

It would be nice to know why they have lost 2-3 live games a week and the highlights show being broadcast during the week in prime viewing time (7-9pm it was previously on). Think it's on in the middle of the day on a Monday or Wednesday now.

Is it the cost the afl is charging being too much? Which would be poor from them because it should want to grow the game. Or do they prefer subscriptions to their own broadcast?

Or is it because it has been bumped by Duke to play re-runs of Bar Rescue, South Park, Mega Factories and Air Crash Disaster?

The 2016 season your quote says. The 2016 season had very good coverage.

and now you're again back peddling by adding.

going backwards with its reach this year

we've gone from "0 coverage" to "1% reach" to "going backwards with its reach this year".
Again, you're talking about "live" football and we're talking about the growth of football.

Again, you're talking about "live" football and we're talking about the growth of football.
How is football growing when it's broadcast at stupid hours midweek when most the audience they might capture is at work, school or uni compared to last year when it was broadcast live into homes Friday and Saturday night?

The definition of growth is increasing its size. Losing those 2 prime time games & losing the primetime highlights package isn't going to increase the games reach. If you know anything about tv ratings you would know that it's not the # of hours that you're broadcast but the quality of hours that you're broadcast. If you don't I'll give you a simple explanation. No point being on 40 hours of the week but with half those hours beyond 10pm or 9-5 on a weekday. Sport is also at it's most valuable in the following time slots, Fri & Sat 7-11pm and Sat & Sun 12-4pm. Now obviously with the time difference it's hard to get games that purely fit into those slots but at least getting the start times in those spots is good enough. So the 4 games you posted above do just OK on doing that, getting the games to start 30 mins before people would like to stop watching sport those days isn't ideal but it's the best that can be achieved due to time difference.

What Duke & the AFL have lost is it's 2 chances to fit perfectly smack bang in the middle of those ideal slots. My question is why? Is it because the AFL is charging Duke too much? Or is it because when they did get those ideal time slots it rated worse than Mega Structures and South Park? Or is it something more sinister and TVNZ (the owners of Duke) don't want the AFL on at those times. FWIW last year the AFL was the only live sport on FTA on Friday night, Saturday night & Sunday arvo so it wouldn't be remiss to speculate that the growth of the game scared TVNZ and others.

If we talked about the growth of football.
So what team do you follow ? are you involved in football in any way?
Do you watch any games. Have you seen any national AFLNZ national games ?
Follow Carlton and have the AFL pass so watch pretty much every game live. Can't rely on Duke this year unfortunately but have been lucky enough to get 1-2 live games on the Sunday arvo. Loosely involved over here. Have had pretty much all hats (player, coach, admin etc.) on at some point in time whilst being here. AFLNZ national games, do you mean the national team playing or the national comp?

If you know anything about tv ratings

Well I know the difference between "0 coverage" and "1% reach" and "going backwards with its reach this year" and reality.

Have you complained to NZTV ? They're the ones with the content.
Now you watch AFL. Do you anything for AFLNZ ?
Ever seen a game ? Watch a local game ?
Why don't you do something "probably only 50-60 kids who choose to play on the weekend"
That's enough for a competition.

It's pointless having this

If you're avoiding

upload_2017-6-21_12-15-48.jpeg upload_2017-6-21_12-17-36.jpeg
images
upload_2017-6-21_12-18-54.jpeg

Define a group of people. Do you have a website/Blog. If not why not. Your answer IMHO is deliberately vague, like your reluctant to disclose who they are.
Your group obviously has access to a lot of interesting information which has been revealed on this forum, and should be shared widely don`t you think.
It appears your group is getting access to some info not generally available, or they do a lot of browsing, or are connected or part of an Overseas League, which may communicate with the AFL International Development Dept.

I'll pm you.

AFLNZ made the point on the Posts, and also other stuff including the TV coverage, and Sponsorship.
Duke FTA is a medium to long term situation to possibly effect a generational change over there. The Posts affect is immediate particularly to passers by from the New Zealand community, which AFLNZ was trying to point out.

Yes, I agree.

Well I know the difference between "0 coverage" and "1% reach" and "going backwards with its reach this year" and reality.

Have you complained to NZTV ? They're the ones with the content.
Now you watch AFL. Do you anything for AFLNZ ?
Ever seen a game ? Watch a local game ?
Why don't you do something "probably only 50-60 kids who choose to play on the weekend"
That's enough for a competition.

It's pointless having this

If you're avoiding

View attachment 383952View attachment 383953
images
View attachment 383954
Well it has gone backwards. I've said many times now that 0 coverage was incorrect and was more venting that it's 25-50% the FTA coverage of last year.

Yeah I've watched, played, coached all levels here. Not sure what your point is? The national comp is a step in the right direction and should be interesting to see how the senior side goes at the IC. Hard to judge their progress as they only play the AIS yearly and their results there have gotten worse (now that's probably more to do with the AIS improving out of sight). It also should be noted that after every IC senior numbers tend to struggle because the players gear up for that and then tend to take a summer off. It shouldn't be a problem locally in Auckland since the big 3-4 have very good numbers and the other 2 don't have IC representatives. But in saying that 1 of those 2 regularly were walk overs last year and even when they did have 15+ they weren't competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back