Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well it has gone backwards.

It seems on live coverage. We're talking about the growth of Australian football in general.

I've said many times now that 0 coverage was incorrect and was more venting that it's 25-50% the FTA coverage of last year.

So the coverage is down or the live coverage is down ?
You make no mention of the highlights packages etc.

Yeah I've watched, played, coached all levels here.

You must have seen some good developments ?
So why not grab those 50~60 kids you mentioned and start a competition ?

It seems on live coverage. We're talking about the growth of Australian football in general.

So the coverage is down or the live coverage is down ?
You make no mention of the highlights packages etc.

You must have seen some good developments ?
So why not grab those 50~60 kids you mentioned and start a competition ?
Coverage as a whole is down. The replays they have on now they already had last year with the extra live games so the number of games shown is down. That's before even looking at the ratings and time slots with and educated marketing/sponsorship/tv brain which you don't seem to want to acknowledge. The highlights show has moved from Tuesday 7pm following the round to I think Thursday or Friday at 10am. So whilst the show itself hasn't be axed its ratings would be severely down. If the ratings and number of times its on are down has is that growth?

Those 50-60 kids I mentioned were as a total U13 and U17 boys and the girls comp (think it's u15s for the girls). They barely have enough to field two teams in their age group let alone a proper competition.

Coverage as a whole is down.

Cannot you just give the numbers.

That's before even looking at the ratings

Nobody has given any ratings figures.

Those 50-60 kids I mentioned

You don't seem to have much of an idea on.
You don't seem to have considered 9-a-side.

The highlights show.

Is on demand.

So tell us what you personally have achieved with the development of Australian Football in NZ.

Is on demand.

So tell us what you personally have achieved with the development of Australian Football in NZ.
What numbers are you after? Tv ratings aren't published in NZ.

The numbers I do have is that there are 2-3 less live games a week on tv and the same number of replays.

I really think I'm talking to an invalid here. I just told you there are 50-60 kids across 3 very different age groups. 20-30 per age group. How are you meant to run a 4 team comp with those sort of numbers? The 13s often play a 12 v 12 game with no bench. The 17s if they all rock up play 16 v 16 with 2 on the bench. Now because they're close to playing senior 18 on 18 footy it's best for their development to not be playing 9 v 9.

I've done quite a bit of coaching over here and in other countries. It's not the guys on the ground in those countries who need to do more grunt work because they're already doing their best but it needs to come from afl hq itself. Free to air coverage live is the best way to get people into the game. I've seen that here in NZ and in the northern hemisphere where the Saturday or Sunday morning live games were well received by locals in the uk, Germany and France

Is on demand.

Is no one not personally involved in the development of Aussie footy overseas allowed to comment or criticise, or are their views somehow invalidated?

You keep asking, just not seeing the relevance.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

are their views somehow invalidated?

I think when people state there is "0 coverage" it is invalidated by

2017-Duke-Schedule-Round-14.png

So why are saying that ratings are down, "0 coverage', "1% reach".

I'd rather believe AFLNZ

What live games ?

1% reach is what Duke has. That's then only ratings info readily available over here.

It's clear you're not all there so I want insult you or try and teach you anymore about how tv timeslots and ratings work. Time and time again I've explained to you how the game has gone backwards this year with its coverage.

Less live games + same amount of replays = less ratings purely due to being on air less.

Then throw in the fact that it's lost prime time viewing so would be less able to get good ratings and anyone with half a brain (which you really struggle to show) would get that.

Aflnz never stated anything contrary to what I've posted. They did a press release just like any business or sports organisation would and were selective with their points. Their quotes are glossy and self selected. I pointed out that their comments are about 2016 season tv coverage were true but it's June 2017 now. Aflnz isn't going to post that it's lost tv coverage here but a poster on here can and I am.

RedV3x id like to know what you know about the afl in NZ or anywhere outside of Australia. In terms of live FTA coverage, replays on FTA, local comps, youth development etc.

I'd also like to get your opinion what tv show rates more, Ellen at 10am in the morning or Masterchef at 7pm?

RedV3x id like to know what you know about the afl in NZ or anywhere outside of Australia.

A lot.

RedV3x In terms of live FTA coverage, replays on FTA, local comps, youth development etc.

Ha, you didn't answer me about your Europe experience. I can tell you "live" is a definite disadvantage.
I don't find any reason why one channel of NZ's "most watched television network" would only have 1% "reach". what is your definittion of reach ?
I know the NZ TV coverage is very good albeit not as good as last year. I'd take that up with NZTV.
Here's the north American coverage.

19275198_1498072026899049_266986933857925760_n.jpg

Last edited:
"Staggering growth’ in Chinese AFL audience". excerpt.

“When we entered into a partnership with CCTV to broadcast games against Essendon and Geelong, we weren’t sure how they would be accepted by CCTV’s viewing audience,” he said. “We were hopeful of gaining an audience share of between one and two million viewers by our second broadcast game, but to achieve over two million viewers for the first broadcast game in round three was very pleasing. But for me, the real story is in the staggering growth from our first broadcast game to the second.”

Port Adelaide’s round three home-ground win against Essendon on April 8 drew an average of 2.12 million viewers in China, compared with 947,025 across Australia. That increased to 3.87 million for Port Adelaide’s round five loss to Geelong, watched by 858,386 in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Power extends its TV reach in China, with second deal. recent update. Note the use of "reach".

PORT Adelaide president David Koch on Saturday negotiated the AFL’s second television deal in China — one of the major planks in the Power’s “China Strategy”.
Koch intends to add television networks based in the Guangdong provinces in southeast China to the China CCTV deal that is now showing one AFL game each weekend in the world’s biggest television market.
“By the end of the year, we will have had 70 million Chinese viewers for Australian football,” Koch told the Sunday Mail on Saturday. “And we have only started to scratch the surface.”

AustraliaPlus broadcasts six matches per week during the Toyota AFL Premiership season, along with all matches in the Toyota AFL Finals Series. It also broadcasts a weekly highlights program across 28 weeks. It has a "reach" of over 190 million people in the Asia/Pacific region.
2015 saw the addition of India, South Korea and Japan finals series to Chinese audiences in the Shanghai region.
Australia Plus also broadcasts live each of the 21 matches in the NAB Challenge that are being covered by Fox Footy.
Separately, one match is shown on delay on Eurosport Asia/Pacific each week with a weekly highlights program also to be shown on Eurosport Asia/Pacific.

Key markets Australia Plus broadcast into include: Bangladesh; Cook Islands; Fiji; Guam; Hong Kong; India; Indonesia; Japan; Macau; Malaysia; Marshall Islands; Micronesia; Nauru; New Caledonia; Niue; Northern Marianas; Palau; Philippines; Papua New Guinea; Samoa; Singapore; Solomon Islands; South Korea; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Tonga; Vanuatu.

A lot.

Ha, you didn't answer me about your Europe experience. I can tell you "live" is a definite disadvantage.
I don't find any reason why one channel of NZ's "most watched television network" would only have 1% "reach". what is your definittion of reach ?
I know the NZ TV coverage is very good albeit not as good as last year. I'd take that up with NZTV.
Here's the north American coverage.

19275198_1498072026899049_266986933857925760_n.jpg
Hahahahaha live is a disadvantage.

In Europe live afl is on around 7-10am Saturday mornings and would lead into local leagues which are played Saturday from 11-5pm at the same time as the afl season. Has a great way of engaging those who are learning the game

Also you proved you know two thirds of **** all when you said Duke is the highest rated network.

Duke is like a 7mate of TV One. Tv one is the top dog but Duke is a nothing channel in comparison like Mate and Gem in Oz. Tv one does no advertising of the AFL on Duke only Duke itself does.

In Europe live afl is on around 7-10am Saturday mornings and would lead into local leagues which are played Saturday from 11-5pm at the same time as the afl season. Has a great way of engaging those who are learning the game

Yet you say it disadvantage in N.Z. ?
Your logic is all over the place.
Having coverage is obviously the first requirement but 7am~10am. Really ? That's when people should be outdoors playing sport.
It is a good time to record it and watch it at leisure but at 7am~10am you're audience is couch potatoes.
It is quite common for overseas clubs to show AFL games after competition or on social nights etc.
Saturday morning or any morning is not attractive.

Yet you say it disadvantage in N.Z. ?
Your logic is all over the place.
Having coverage is obviously the first requirement but 7am~10am. Really ? That's when people should be outdoors playing sport.
It is a good time to record it and watch it at leisure but at 7am~10am you're audience is couch potatoes.
It is quite common for overseas clubs to show AFL games after competition or on social nights etc.
Saturday morning or any morning is not attractive.
It was common practice in the 3 countries I coached/played in that we got the guys to watch the game in the morning and we played in the afternoon.

Live games are a massive advantage in Europe and here in NZ because the times they are on suit the audiences.

Europe: Saturday morning pre-game was effective in engaging players. It helped them talk footy with Aussie expats who just watched the same game as them. Some of the best guys I've played with in the UK who are now playing very good standard in Melbourne (local and state level) said they got a lot out of talking footy with Aussies and watching live footy pre game.

NZ: Friday night & Saturday night & Sunday afternoon which is prime sport viewing time. Because afl is a summer sport here it's not watched pre-gameday when a replay is on Saturday morning. Most afl participants here are playing a different winter sport and are unlikely to watch an afl replay before they go off to play rugby or soccer. However, with no FTA rugby or soccer on Friday night or Saturday night afl is a fantastic alternative for those who do want to watch sport on a Friday or Saturday night regardless of what sport they play on a Saturday morning.

Duke is the highest rated network.

I said TVNZ is the highest rated network.

Duke is like a 7mate of TV One.

Thus Duke has the same "reach" as TVNZ whilst having independent ratings.
Reach and ratings are different. I understand ratings are not made public in N.Z.

So let's move on and discuss something interesting about your involvement with developing football in N.Z.

image.jpeg

One live game this week and just 3 in total for the weekend. Can't really blame anyone about what live game gets scheduled due to the time difference but the one game this week is probably the worst of the round as well. Wonder what Duke's thinking with the AFL is. Is it being dropped because the Lions tour is on this weekend? Might make sense for dropping a Saturday night game. But then again that finishes up at 9-10pm which leads right into the Saturday night afl game. Could have pubs and general sports want to watch more sport after the test.

Surely it's no worse than playing Swamp People and a D-grade movie on? Has to be $$$ to show live games being too high

Not a lot going on at the moment it's rugby season for the kids

The beauty about about rugby is that it supplies so many players, grounds and facilities to Australian Football.
Many players transition from rugby to Australian Football.
Many players improve their rugby by cross-training Australian Football.
Where rugby is popular then Australian Football is popular and Australian football teams
play out of rugby ground facilities.
Rugby players like contact sports and appreciate the added freedom of Australian Football.
Also, as a number of players have found out, it is a realistic goal to play for your country with Australian Football.
And with enthusiastic people like yourself Australian Football is going to leap ahead in new Zealand.

The beauty about about rugby is that it supplies so many players, grounds and facilities to Australian Football.
Many players transition from rugby to Australian Football.
Many players improve their rugby by cross-training Australian Football.
Where rugby is popular then Australian Football is popular and Australian football teams
play out of rugby ground facilities.
Rugby players like contact sports and appreciate the added freedom of Australian Football.
Also, as a number of players have found out, it is a realistic goal to play for your country with Australian Football.
And with enthusiastic people like yourself Australian Football is going to leap ahead in new Zealand.
I like your enthusiasm. Have you been over to NZ recently? I kid you not I reckon only 10% of the kids I coached knew who Buddy Franklin is. No doubt once kiwis play the sport they enjoy it. It's about getting them into watching professional afl and caring about the sport which is failing

Remove this Banner Ad

Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back