Can Dallas go all the way

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there are a few more teams out there that would be considerd better chances

Lakers
Spurs
Magic
Celtics
Cavs
Denver

But if Dallas can get Howard fit and Kidd,Nowitzki in some serious form by playoff time can they win it

What are peoples thoughts

I dunno, I look at the other top teams right now and I just can't see Dallas rolling them in the playoffs unless emperor Stern decides otherwise.

Howard will have to become an all-star calibre player again, and I don't see it happening - atleast not in Dallas. If they could move him on for a legit piece (like a good defensive centre) then perhaps, but I don't see it happening.

I'll go with no.

I still think the Mavs could have won the Denver series last playoffs if they weren't shafted by the refs with that no-call on Melo. They were playing awesome ball and completely destroyed the Spurs in the first round like they were nothing.

I love the Mavs. On paper they've got everything you need to win a championship. But agree with Vegas that it depends on Howard. He is a huge X-factor for that team.

But agree with Vegas that it depends on Howard. He is a huge X-factor for that team.
I quite like the way they've been using Beaubois to fill in for the early offense that is usually supplied by Howard, it's a clever move from Carlisle as Dirk often struggles to get going early - possibly due to the habit of having Howard do it. The problem is that Roddy doesn't play the clutch minutes, and the three guard lineup of Kidd, Terry and Barea just isn't going to get it done. Take out one of Kidd or Barea (situation dependent) and replace them with Howard gives you as much (or more in the case of Kidd) scoring threat, without being undersized on D. They need him back.

I think we have a better team than 2006 when we came so close but a man called D-Wade spoilt the party. The only way we can pull it out is if Josh stays fit and plays 50+games. Will be happy if we make the conf finals. Dirk having another halll of famer year. Go Dirk!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Marion will be a big surprise come late in the season he looks like his getting better and better and with some confidence could be a real steal

But yeah like most have said if Howard can get fit and play some good ball then mavs are a big chance

What have people though of Marion since his move to Dallas

Howard (offensively) and Marion (defensively) would have to have monster playoffs for them to get past the Lakers. I think they'd be a decent chance to get past anyone else in the West, though a fit Spurs might be too much.

I still think the Mavs could have won the Denver series last playoffs if they weren't shafted by the refs with that no-call on Melo. They were playing awesome ball and completely destroyed the Spurs in the first round like they were nothing.

I love the Mavs. On paper they've got everything you need to win a championship. But agree with Vegas that it depends on Howard. He is a huge X-factor for that team.

LOL melo no call :)

The Nuggets were a much better team/Playing better basketball than the Mavs and still are. They were no chance in that series.

LOL melo no call :)

The Nuggets were a much better team/Playing better basketball than the Mavs and still are. They were no chance in that series.

You are wrong my friend. I would argue that based on the first round, the Mavs were the best performing team in the West (and look at their form over the last 10 games of the season... very ominous). The Nuggs put away the 7th seeded Hornets who were already falling apart. The Mavs were 6th remember, and faced the Spurs. They absolutely slaughtered them, and this is the Spurs, with the greatest power forward of all time and Tony Parker putting up two 40-point games. Wasn't even close.

If they weren't shafted by that terrible no-call in game 3, the series would have been level at 2-2 and who knows what happens. So to say that had "no chance" is a bit harsh imo.

You are wrong my friend. I would argue that based on the first round, the Mavs were the best performing team in the West (and look at their form over the last 10 games of the season... very ominous). The Nuggs put away the 7th seeded Hornets who were already falling apart. The Mavs were 6th remember, and faced the Spurs. They absolutely slaughtered them, and this is the Spurs, with the greatest power forward of all time and Tony Parker putting up two 40-point games. Wasn't even close.

...except it wasn't really the Spurs, since they were missing Manu, who was probably their best player that season. With Manu they went 32-12 on the season, but without him they went 20-18, a W/L ratio that would have seen them miss they playoffs if extrapolated out to a whole season.

That said, I definitely think that had Wright been called for the foul the series would have gotten interesting. I believe Denver were a significantly better team (and still are the better team), but they aren't the strongest bunch mentally. Who knows what would have happened.

If they weren't shafted by that terrible no-call in game 3, the series would have been level at 2-2 and who knows what happens. So to say that had "no chance" is a bit harsh imo.

So the Denver Nuggets who went 14-3 in the last 17 games of the season is not coming into the play offs red hot also?

The Nuggets went out and absolutely destroyed the Hornets who many thought could beat Denver. Sure the Mavs win over the Spurs was great but they are not the Spurs of old especially without Manu.

This was the same Nuggets team that swept the Dallas Mavericks in the regular season. The Nuggets were the 2nd seed in the West and played like it in the play offs hence why the Mavs wouldn't of beaten them. They were clearly outplayed in 3/5 games in the play offs. To say that the "no call" cost Dallas the series is insane. In the play offs you just dont do a little swipe at the ball then put your hands up straight away and expect a foul to be called in the last seconds of a game. Also whats to say the series would of been 2-2? Nuggets lose that one of a stupid call like that they could come out all guns blazing and take game 4.

...except it wasn't really the Spurs, since they were missing Manu, who was probably their best player that season. With Manu they went 32-12 on the season, but without him they went 20-18, a W/L ratio that would have seen them miss they playoffs if extrapolated out to a whole season.

That said, I definitely think that had Wright been called for the foul the series would have gotten interesting. I believe Denver were a significantly better team (and still are the better team), but they aren't the strongest bunch mentally. Who knows what would have happened.

I think you underestimate the Nuggets mentally. You dont get to the Western Conference finals while also destroying the 2 other teams on the way if you are not strong enough mentally. Sure maybe a year or 2 ago, but with Chauncey its a little different, the Nuggets were focused and determined to win.

Looking good atm just doing enough to win games which is a good sign

Howard is back if he can be played for the next 6 weeks without injury and can hit some form could be a massive year for the Mavs

They are not big enough to deal with the Lakers. Dampier would have to play out of his skin - is it a contract year for him?

They are not big enough to deal with the Lakers. Dampier would have to play out of his skin - is it a contract year for him?

What big centres could be up for trade that would help the Mavs

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Dallas go all the way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back