Can North make a better game of it this time around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will get pole axed like we always do against the top 2 sides.

We will be found out, and made to pay to the hilt, for our shocking ball use and decision making. How the hell we managed to get within a kick and a half against St.Kilda is testament to how bad the saints are going ATM.

Continuously kicking the ball to Petrie when he has 3 on him is astounding. Hansen, Thomas and Edwards just flounder inside the forward 50 for most of the game. Our back line is disgraceful when put under any real pressure, turning the ball over with bewildering delivery by both hand and foot. Our mid-field are the 1 positive. The only thing is they are a very "vanilla" lot, meaning there is not much variety in there. Most are hard nuts, in and under types who love a scrap and win plenty of contested ball. The draw back being, apart from Daniel Wells we have no run and carry types of note.

Collingwood by 80+...nothing will change!
It's great to hear from a realistic north supporter!

Realistic result would be a Collingwood victory in the vicinity of 50 plus points to be quite honest. It'll be a good wake up call to north that those 4 victories we had in a row were against quite poor sides and that we are still nowhere near where we want to be.

Collingwood will probably try a few new things out here and there, whilst we will struggle to get it out of our own 50. Will be painful to watch is what im most afraid of :s

North have arguably the worst skills in the comp.
I would expect it to take them at least the first half to get used to the MCG surroundings by which time I expect to be up by 10 goals.
I have no doubt Malthouse will use this game to experiment with players in different positions.
There's no argument. We have the worst skills; at least in terms of disposal; in the comp by a huge margin.

I expect we'll ba able to stick with Collingwood for a while through sheer effort and determination, but some time during the second or third quarter the quality gap will show and another pummelling will ensue. Anything under an eight goal margin is highly improbable.

I think a lot will depend on what sort of Collingwood turn up on the day. They have us covered all over the ground and simply just much better side than us. We can try and be competitive, but if Collingwood turn up hungry and their gun players play well........I can't see it being a close game.

North will get pumped. Saw them last week and to think they could play a final is scary.

If we fill the side with plodders like we did against the Saints then I predict a cricket-like score spanking.

I was optimistic of accounting for Saints quite easily early in the week last week and went from optimism to pessimism after the Thursday, I'll wait until I see the team we name.

Yeah hope to see some run and carry and leg speed. If we go with all of Rawlings, Mcmahon, Pratt and Firrito we will be in for a long afternoon.

I hope to be competitive. I don't mean so much on the scoreboard (anything under 50 will be a good effort) but just in general play. Attack through the middle and deliver it quickly to Petrie and co in space and hold our own at the clearances I'll be pretty pleased.

Got a couple of key players out, but I think on the MCG we should really be winning this game anywhere between 40 and 70 points. Will be interesting to see how we structure up with Dawes up, hopefully we get some more game time into kids like Fasolo & Rounds and potentially Keeffe.
North haven't beaten us for a couple of years though... 2008 I think?

North will get pumped. Saw them last week and to think they could play a final is scary.
Yep North were crap last week.

Strangely though if they kick straight in the last they win. Im not sure what that says about StKilda.

Will be similar to last week against Hawthorn - that is we will have 50-60 point lead by 1/2 time and with the match over we take the foot off the pedal and win by 40-50 points. The really scary thing is that this season our percentage could really be a lot better than what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North's smalls need to work harder and kick goals. If that means Harvey going forward full time so be it. I see Lindsay Thomas as their major problem atm, just doesn't get enough of it or work on keeping the ball forward enough.

Let Wells, Swallow, ect. Control the midfield with Goldy dominating the ruck. The backline is solid if unspectacular, and the tall forwards are ok with Petrie the obvious star. But it's obvious this year teams with Hard working small forwards are going the best and teams without it are struggling to maintain the required forward pressure.

North's smalls need to work harder and kick goals. If that means Harvey going forward full time so be it. I see Lindsay Thomas as their major problem atm, just doesn't get enough of it or work on keeping the ball forward enough.

Let Wells, Swallow, ect. Control the midfield with Goldy dominating the ruck. The backline is solid if unspectacular, and the tall forwards are ok with Petrie the obvious star. But it's obvious this year teams with Hard working small forwards are going the best and teams without it are struggling to maintain the required forward pressure.

That's incorrect, Lindsay's pressure and tackling is first rate.

I see no reason why North can't be competitive for four quarters if they remain consistent over the four quarters, but this is what separates the good teams from the also rans and is probably why the margin will be above 6 goals at least. That and actually select a team that might be able to run from one end of the G to the other within a quarter!

The G is almost an interstate game for us as well and with conditions a little slippery and windy, it might be a shock for half the team who have only played at the G maybe once or twice.

If at least two of the names Speight, Urquhart, Atley and Campbell are in the side then we might get within 6, if none are in, expect triple figures!

That's incorrect, Lindsay's pressure and tackling is first rate.

Averages 2.5 tackles a game. I guess that's ok but compare that to Eddie betts and Jeff garlett who average 3.6 and 4.1 respectively in the same team and it doesn't cut it.

If at least two of the names Speight, Urquhart, Atley and Campbell are in the side then we might get within 6, if none are in, expect triple figures!

Come again?!

Averages 2.5 tackles a game. I guess that's ok but compare that to Eddie betts and Jeff garlett who average 3.6 and 4.1 respectively in the same team and it doesn't cut it.

Go back to DOP's post and take notice of the 8 letter word between the words, "Lindsay's" and "and".

Go back to DOP's post and take notice of the 8 letter word between the words, "Lindsay's" and "and".

Mind you that same excuse was used to keep Leon Davis in our team most of last year so I don't think it's a very good one to be honest.

It may also be the best long shot bet.
I reckon they'll match up well on the Pies.
I've already put my name down for North to win this one (prudent selections allowing)

What makes you think that? The last 2 times the sides have met we've flogged them by 10+ goals, that doesn't scream 'good match up' to me, you need to go a bit further back to see when they were competitive with us, so far back it's practically irrelevant.

Mind you that same excuse was used to keep Leon Davis in our team most of last year so I don't think it's a very good one to be honest.

Interesting that you mention Davis, as I think Thomas would also benefit from a small stint in the backline.

There's no doubt in my mind that he has the ability to be an AFL player.

Explains why teams have such an easy time walking it out it's north forward line then... Either way there isn't enough tackling or pressure in there. And north won't be a contender until there is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back