Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry if this has been stated previously but I was surprised when I looked through the hawks year that they haven't actually beaten a top 8 side away this year.Round 8 against Bulldogs except they weren't in 8 at the time and weren't playing that well at that time.Last week against a banged up Carlton team without a bench is it..Not the hawks fault that there draw hasn't been the hardest and not to say they can't go deep into September but it's still relevant

Which teams have?

No, it's because Bowden ran backwards for about 30 metres just to rush a behind.
More that he killed time from a kick in by rushing behinds a couple of times late in a game. The AFL couldn't allow that to be a viable late game strategy

Which teams have?

I’m sure there are others - off the top of my head we have beaten Freo in Freo, Brisbane in Brisbane, you guys in Melbourne. Up until last week we’d beaten Carlton in Melbourne but they are no longer in the 8.
We’ve beaten the Dogs in a neutral game at gather round but they’ve also belted us at KP so that’s unlikely to worry them a tremendous amount.

A disclaimer should be added to say that Brisbane were in a poor run of form when we beat them at the Gabba and so were you guys when we beat you at the MCG. However we also beat Collingwood and Essendon when they were playing decent footy, both in Melbourne and both when they were entrenched in the top 8 in the last month and a half.

The way teams have been in and out of the 8 all year, I think it’s a borderline meaningless metric

Its the 2008 GF that gives rise to this debate.
Fair enough we threw it away but the record is hardly a one sided one

I think that you were favorites in 1989 and 2008 is what people remember.

The consensus was that Geelong would be too quick, and beat us easily in 89' too.

EDIT: (foot in mouth moment, Hawks were favorite in 89', should have checked).

Last edited:
So the Hawks doing in 10 times in the Grand Final had nothing to do with it?

Are you suggesting that a rule that every team had been playing under for decades, including your team, was the reason we won?

You were outplayed for 3 out of 4 quarters.

I mean FFS you guys were kicking points at your end all day. It wasn't like we were the only ones doing it.

This is just numpty stuff. Are you suggesting that if we'd rushed 5 behinds and not 10, would you guys have won?

Last edited:
In that second qtr we blew it with the dumb shots on goal

But fair comment - had every opportunity second half and got done over
Paul Chapman was livid after the 2008 grand final loss, said Hawthorn will never beat Geelong again while he played in the side and true to Chappies word he never did as Geelong proceeded to win the next 11 games against the Hawks all on the Hawks home ground the MCG.

I think that you were favorites in 1989 and 2008 is what people remember.

The consensus was that Geelong would be too quick, and beat us easily in 89' too.
Had a big bet (in the thousands) on Geelong to win the '89 Grand final and I got 7/4, so the Hawks were short odds-on favourites, so what you are saying is WRONG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Chapman was livid after the 2008 grand final loss, said Hawthorn will never beat Geelong again while he played in the side and true to Chappies word he never did as Geelong proceeded to win the next 11 games against the Hawks all on the Hawks home ground the MCG.

Chapman wasn't in the team that lost the PF in 2013, but he was on the list. So they lost to us while he was still playing in the side, just not that game.

It's all piss and wind though, he shut the gate after the horse had bolted.

The better team in 2008 won, because they wanted to win more.

Chapman was also beaten by Hawthorn before he retired from the AFL while wearing a different jumper.

So he was on the list when they lost the PF and was beaten by Hawthorn before he retired.

He also played from 2013-15 and got to see our 3-peat team up close.

I know which side of the ledger I'd rather be on. Home and away undefeated Champ for a stretch vs. the actual GF winner.

Chapman wasn't in the team that lost the PF in 2013, but he was on the list. So they lost to us while he was still playing in the side, just not that game.

It's all piss and wind though, he shut the gate after the horse had bolted.

The better team in 2008 won, because they wanted to win more.

Chapman was also beaten by Hawthorn before he retired from the AFL while wearing a different jumper.

So he was on the list when they lost the PF and was beaten by Hawthorn before he retired.

He also played from 2013-15 and got to see our 3-peat team up close.

I know which side of the ledger I'd rather be on. Home and away undefeated Champ for a stretch vs. the actual GF winner.
Judging by comment of Geelong being favourites for the '89 flag methinks you talk a lot of crap but in fairness to you, that is not uncommon on BigFooty.

Judging by comment of Geelong being favourites for the '89 flag methinks you talk a lot of crap but in fairness to you, that is not uncommon on BigFooty.

Yeah, I figured that would shut you up. Nice deflection though.

Chapman was on Geelong's list when they were beaten by Hawthorn in 2013's PF, and he was beaten by Hawthorn at the next club he went to.

Not really the fairytale you were pushing, was it?

Last edited:

Chapman was on Geelong's list when they were beaten by Hawthorn in 2013's PF, and he was beaten by Hawthorn at the next club he went to.

Chapman was suspended for the 13 prelim - he is just a very naughty boy

Chapman was suspended for the 13 prelim - he is just a very naughty boy

He was injured for most of the year too. They got I think 8 games out of him.

But he was a part of that side that lost another big game to the Hawks, he just wasn't playing in what would have been his last game as a Cat.

“On the list”
Reported for a rubbish bump.
You don’t think a chappy might have made a difference in that game.

Who cares anyway ancient history, the point is now, the media darlings are chugging so much hawthorn is beyond a joke, it will be the biggest choke ever they don’t win the flag this year.

We've already beaten you on the G by 7 goals this season. Not sure where this confidence is coming from.
Yeah back when we were playing quite poorly and hadn't found the formula to win. Suns flogged us by 10 goals too as did Melbourne. Still kicked what was it 6 in a QTR Easter Monday despite nowhere near what we were capable of across a whole game. The GMHBA game you guys smacked us across the face with pressure and Intensity and we weren't ready for it. Lesson learnt. Apart from Freo and the close GWS loss we have smashed everyone since than. We are top 2 or 4 across a 12 week period in all metrics that matter. If you think Scott wouldn't be spending a bit of time working out how to keep beating us your delusional because we will bring more pressure and Intensity the other way next time around. Too much evidence to suggest that would happen. Jeremy Cameron is your one point of difference which we may have issues dealing with.

Didn’t we also beat you at the MCG quite comfortably this year?
So did Melbourne and how are they tracking right now. First 5 weeks are only relevant in this discussion because it meant it took us till the weekend to be in the 8. Coming from a long way back. It's a totally different side now. Yes you smacked us down at the Cattery but we will have learned a bit out of that and I daresay be more prepared for what you guys bring. One thing about Scott that has him ahead of the other coaches is that he also looks at the oppositions strengths and tries to destabilize them when most just worry about their own styles and systems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back