Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

So did Melbourne and how are they tracking right now. First 5 weeks are only relevant in this discussion because it meant it took us till the weekend to be in the 8. Coming from a long way back. It's a totally different side now. Yes you smacked us down at the Cattery but we will have learned a bit out of that and I daresay be more prepared for what you guys bring. One thing about Scott that has him ahead of the other coaches is that he also looks at the oppositions strengths and tries to destabilize them when most just worry about their own styles and systems.
What are your actual expectations now for the rest of the year
Prelim final week? Go all the way?

“On the list”
Reported for a rubbish bump.
You don’t think a chappy might have made a difference in that game.

Who cares anyway ancient history, the point is now, the media darlings are chugging so much hawthorn is beyond a joke, it will be the biggest choke ever they don’t win the flag this year.

So you’re saying he did make a difference, by letting his teammates down and getting suspended?

Again, not exactly a fairytale ending for him.

We’ve not even made the finals yet, so you’re getting a bit carried away here.

I don't reckon we fear anybody so there's no limit on what we can do. Winning a final would be a starting point. Anything after that is a bonus.

I agree (not that I’m speaking for you or trying to) but I think that’s a good philosophy for your team given where they have come from.

What is interesting is that given where most people had our side pegged as finishing and the fact that the team is mixed between kids who are just turning up doing their best and old guys who actually HAVE been there and done it, I think our own attitude is exactly the same

Are you suggesting that a rule that every team had been playing under for decades, including your team, was the reason we won?

You were outplayed for 3 out of 4 quarters.

I mean FFS you guys were kicking points at your end all day. It wasn't like we were the only ones doing it.

This is just numpty stuff. Are you suggesting that if we'd rushed 5 behinds and not 10, would you guys have won?
Bad kicking is bad football.

Geelong, a team that displayed sublime skills all season, executed poorly with ball in hand.

Hawthorn were clinical in a number of important moments throughout the match.

The better team won.

Knock Geelong out when it matters

But seriously now make finals and then be competitive in however many finals we play

The Geelong Football Club is a team that can stop the hawks if they meet up in the semi finals.
If Hawthorn do meet Geelong in the finals can every single forward entry be a chaos ball along the ground please.

One thing I am sick to death of over the years in Hawks v Cats games is 3 or 4 Geelong backs having half a dozen intercept marks each :mad: :mad: :mad:

Geelong got a hold of them but two things went in their favour I believe.

No Sicily
Played in Geelong on a narrow field.

However Geelong did show the blueprint alittle.

*Be ultra disciplined behind the ball to stop the Hawks slingshot and then capaitilse on their turnovers.
*Grind then down/beat them up around stoppages and not allow them to spread as easily.

Easier said than done as Hawthorn are flying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’re saying he did make a difference, by letting his teammates down and getting suspended?

Again, not exactly a fairytale ending for him.

We’ve not even made the finals yet, so you’re getting a bit carried away here.

3 flags and a norm? Geez no fairy tale? Harsh marker

The media coverage is getting a bit tiresome was my main point, I guess you have no control over that.

I expect the Hawks will be in every game they play, and if they lose in the finals, then it will be a hell of a contest. I know this because the Hawks are bringing four quarters every match. And GWS reminded them that when you don't bring four then the good teams beat you.

Four quarters every weekend all the way to glory, be it with a trophy in hand or not.

No Sicily

*Be ultra disciplined behind the ball to stop the Hawks slingshot and then capaitilse on their turnovers.
*Grind then down/beat them up around stoppages and not allow them to spread as easily.

This. The way to stop us is to play like GWS or Geelong, two very different styles. Not that it will definitely work, but that’s the way.

No Sicily

Missing our ace in that game, Calsher Dear.

11-2 at 146% when Calsher plays, vs 1-7 at 67% without Dear,

Like the 2011 and 2016 Qualifying finals?

Sorry if that doesn’t suit your narrative.
I think it's fair to say Hawks fans wld comfortably choose 08 GF and 13 prelim wins over the 11 H&A consecutive losses and 2011 and 2016 qualifying finals. Dont get me wrong every.single.one of those losses was like a dagger to the heart, but in the grand scheme of things I have no doubt whatsover Hawks came out on top during the whole rivalry of the era, so the 'win when it matters' theory def applies. Not to take anything away from Geel, however, as 2007-11 is right up there as one of the greatest sides of all time.

No Sicily

You forgot finals intensity pressure across the ground getting in our faces so we couldn't release any runners or get much overlap due to everything being rushed. This one we can easily reverse the other way because the Cats use slingshot footy too to score heavily. We wouldnt be Ill prepared for anything they throw at us next time IMO it's all about execution. All hypothetical until we're confirmed were in the finals.

I think it's fair to say Hawks fans wld comfortably choose 08 GF and 13 prelim wins over the 11 H&A consecutive losses and 2011 and 2016 qualifying finals. Dont get me wrong every.single.one of those losses was like a dagger to the heart, but in the grand scheme of things I have no doubt whatsover Hawks came out on top during the whole rivalry of the era, so the 'win when it matters' theory def applies. Not to take anything away from Geel, however, as 2007-11 is right up there as one of the greatest sides of all time.
2016 we win if Issy kicks straight and we were arguably the lesser of the 2 teams in that match. Geelong choked away a flag that year IMO. 2011 the level that match was played at for 2 and a half qtrs was every bit as good as the GF that year, we just couldn't sustain it across the 4 qtrs. Both years 2011 and 2016 Geelong were better. 2016 marginally.

Hawks are a young side who at the moment lack a plan B, put pressure on them at the stoppages this will stop them spreading which is their main asset.

The one concern I would assume the coaches at Hawthorn have and will gameplan for is that they don't have an ideal run into finals.

A depleted Adelaide
A depleted Carlton
A depleted and checked out Richmond
North
Bye

Might get a shock in the finals when pressure comes.
I'm sure the 'brains' trust at AFL house thought that putting Hawthorn up against Richmond and North in the last two rounds would make for an interesting battle for the wooden spoon.

How wrong they were.

The one concern I would assume the coaches at Hawthorn have and will gameplan for is that they don't have an ideal run into finals.

A depleted Adelaide
A depleted Carlton
A depleted and checked out Richmond
North
Bye

Might get a shock in the finals when pressure comes.
I’m glad someone brought this up. It’s not my idea of a good run into the finals either. I’d be wanting some more solid hit outs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back