dipper86

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2004
Dimmeys
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea SSC Napoli
Why the hell did we leave Renouf out when we knew we were going to be up against 2 athletic Ruckman........... In effect Essendon was playing with an extra midfielder, there was no way in hell Taylor was ever going to keep up with Ryder.
Renouf has next to none attacking ability at the present time but what he does have in his game is a good defensive mindset, that is why he played the Grand Final and Taylor didnt.......... He at least has the speed, mobility and tackling presure to break even with Ryder.

What was the selection committee thinking....

You must be joking if you think Renouf is some kind of supreme athlete. He isnt.
While he might be quicker than Campbell and Taylor - and this isnt saying anything - Renouf still gives away a horribly high number of free kicks in the middle of the ground, fails to win the football and generally can hardly be considered a shining light.

Comparing him to Ryder? That's a bit of a stretch.

You must be joking if you think Renouf is some kind of supreme athlete. He isnt.

I don't think i ever said he was a supreme athlete, all i said is that he was quicker and more mobile....... meaning he's more ideal to be playing on the more athletic ruckmen in the game than Taylor is.

While he might be quicker than Campbell and Taylor - and this isnt saying anything

I don't know why you mentioned Campbell, my issue has nothing to do with Campbell..... he didn't even play Ruck last night.

Renouf still gives away a horribly high number of free kicks in the middle of the ground

And Taylor doesn't? So far this year Renouf is avg less free kicks against.

Fails to win the football and generally can hardly be considered a shining light.

Once again...... Renouf is avg more disposals, more marks more tackles with less errors than Taylor.

Comparing him to Ryder? That's a bit of a stretch.

Taylor was not a suitable opponent for Ryder and Bellchambers last night, Renouf I think is... with his better speed mobility and defensive pressure around the ground... pretty simple really.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/76444/default.aspx

BALANCE was a driving reason behind the final make-up of Hawthorn's team selected to play Essendon at Docklands on Friday, football manager Mark Evans said.

While the Hawks couldn't consider Brent Guerra (back tightness), the reigning premiers will welcome back running defender Grant Birchall.

Birchall hasn’t played since breaking his thumb against North Melbourne in round three.

He is one of three inclusions, with coach Alastair Clarkson opting for extra run by selecting Ben McGlynn – who hasn’t played since round eight last season – and Cameron Stokes.

McGlynn has been in terrific form at VFL level, while Stokes has also impressed at the lower grade but has tasted senior action this year.

Out of the side goes Guerra, Jarryd Morton and premiership ruckman Brent Renouf.

"With Brent Guerra, we won’t risk him this week. He’s just been a bit tight in his back and [coming] off a six-day break, we’ll just hold him back," Evans told hawthornfc.com.au.

"He came off late in the game [last week], so maybe in the last five or six minutes he was just pretty tight … we’ve decided to just be conservative on that one."

Morton and Renouf could be considered unlucky omissions, and Evans admitted the Hawks were searching for the right mix as they enter the middle stage of the season.

"[We’re] probably more bringing it back to a normal, balanced side," Evans said.

"With Brent, we’ve gone in with the three ruckmen in the team the last few weeks but we decided we might get back to a more conventional set up and bring in some smaller runners."

On Thursday the Hawks had flagged the possibility of including up to three premiership backmen, but only Birchall got the nod at the selection table.

While Xavier Ellis (foot) and Stephen Gilham (knee) are at least another week away from senior action, Ellis will resume with VFL affiliate Box Hill.

"He has progressed enormously over the last week and half to two weeks, so it’s good to get him back out there," Evans said.

Evans was uncertain exactly where and when Gilham would return but said the full-back, who trained earlier in the day, was making progress.
"We’d think that Stephen would be a pretty good chance to play next week," he said.

Taylor was not a suitable opponent for Ryder and Bellchambers last night, Renouf I think is... with his better speed mobility and defensive pressure around the ground... pretty simple really.

Im with you dipper Renouf >>>>>>>>>>> Taylor (soz gentle giant, but too scary with the ball).

Also worth noting: Renouf may be giving kicks away, but he has played approx 10 games......... Still learning his craft, compared to taylor who should know better.

Im with you dipper Renouf >>>>>>>>>>> Taylor (soz gentle giant, but too scary with the ball).

Also worth noting: Renouf may be giving kicks away, but he has played approx 10 games......... Still learning his craft, compared to taylor who should know better.
My thoughts exactly

I'd say they dropped Renouf and stuck with the bigger Taylor as he could have dominated the ruck and given 1st use at the stoppages against the skinny inexperienced Bombers rucks. That would have been the plan me thinks.

It also allowed us to bring in more run (ie Stokes or McGlynn).

"just wondering"................ Picking a fight again tonight / this morning i note :p

And what are you adding by this inane comment!

So you think some pleb on this forum knows the reason for team selection better than our coaching staff?

I'd say they dropped Renouf and stuck with the bigger Taylor as he could have dominated the ruck and given 1st use at the stoppages against the skinny inexperienced Bombers rucks. That would have been the plan me thinks.
Yep, renouf has been ordinary in the ruck so far

It also allowed us to bring in more run (ie Stokes or McGlynn).

And the thought was hardness at the ball (shame it didn't work out like that though mcclynn was pretty good).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly - perhaps they should have simply asked you!

As I assume you have better information than they do :rolleyes:!

I never said that, I asked what the selection committee was thinking... and then gave my opinion, instead of being so precious about this why don't you give your opinion, if not why bother with the lame remark..... :)

I have no idea why Taylor is getting games over Renouf. I think there was one time friday night when Taylor tapped it down to a hawthorn player and once we lose the ball he doesn't do anything until we have regained possession.

If you watch Renouf, he is constantly diving in and laying tackles and putting extra pressure on oppo midfielders..

It is so frustrating watching Taylor and I am not seeing any improvement from him.

Next week is freo and i watched sandilands tonight and he was pretty good so it will be interesting to see what the selectors decide to do because if its Taylor vs Sandilands we could be in some real strife im afraid..

I have no idea why Taylor is getting games over Renouf. I think there was one time friday night when Taylor tapped it down to a hawthorn player and once we lose the ball he doesn't do anything until we have regained possession.

If you watch Renouf, he is constantly diving in and laying tackles and putting extra pressure on oppo midfielders..

It is so frustrating watching Taylor and I am not seeing any improvement from him.

Next week is freo and i watched sandilands tonight and he was pretty good so it will be interesting to see what the selectors decide to do because if its Taylor vs Sandilands we could be in some real strife im afraid..

Sad bit is Taylor clearly won tap outs but rarely hit any to advantage. He is so damn frustrating! Unless the coaching staff see something we don't at training I would bench him indefinately & play Renouf. Not sure that Renouf is the answer, but shows more upside to me....

What really annoyed me about Taylor on Friday night, he regularly won the taps, but usually dropped it at his feet, which, I think, hurt us as Essendon were able to shut us out in close (which is rare for us). In fact, they basically just got in first and fired out random handballs to the wings into space and allowed there guys to run. What I would have preferred to see, is with his dominance in the ruck, for him to belt the ball and give US room to move. We had bigger bodies and with some more room, we could have used the ball better and got it in quicker to our forwards. Frustrating to say the least.

Taylor gives us nothing around the ground. The guy simply hasn't improved IMO over the past 4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone plese tell me........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back