Can Sydney keep Warner and avoid more trade bans?

Can Sydney keep Warner and not cop a whack from the AFL?

• Lol No

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest victims in the game are Sydney fans. Always have been. In their heads only, that is.
Providing the Swans have the same salary cap structure as every other team, then they can keep whoever they want.
Collingwood have a fire sale. Next year get 3 players. Never been done in history of football. Dont ever talk salary cap as long as you post

I can feel it in me bones
I dont know why this is an issue.

I didnt really gve 2 stuffs about swans Having the COLA or coast of living Allowance 10 years ago. That meant Swans got 10 percent more on the salary cap.

I have posted this before.

AFL players Salary cap is $17,000,000 in 2024. Next season in 2025, it goes up to $17,700,000.

So 17.7 million dollars in the Salary cap next season. Dead certain at least one club is gonna have a list of 18-20 blokes on $500,000-$600,000 a year.

If AFL players dont think they get paid enough money. Force them to go on unemployed conditions like Centrelink.

Collingwood have a fire sale. Next year get 3 players. Never been done in history of football. Dont ever talk salary cap as long as you post
Collingwood frees up cap space, and then uses it.

Swansong81:
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

I say again. I'd be happy for the AFL to fund the Northern Academies to develop football in the Northern States and have an open draft. And....the father/son and NGA to also go and the AFL to reimburse the Swans the minimum $1mill pa that the club has been funding for their Academy. How much have the other clubs been funding for their father/son free hits?
For saints i reckon we wouldn't have spent more than a few hundred dollars on father sons and it shows :p

Equalization: “we need to revisit the academy and father son selection policies”

AFL: “wait”

Equalization: “Vic clubs are complaining loudly about draft processes”

Collingwood: drafts Nick Daicos under father son

AFL: “ok now”

Last edited:
The answer to the question is no.
Warner won’t sign another contract with the swans and they know it. Be best to deal him to Freo this year while his value is highest and Freo have good draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the Sydney fans being like “sure we used our extra salary cap to recruit the best player in the game on top of a list that had won 31 games the past two seasons, which exposed it as the rort it always was… but why the AFL removed it is a total mystery… gosh the AFL just hates us (drafts Nick Blakey as a freebie academy player)”

Equalization: “we need to revisit the academy and father son selection policies”

Nick Daicos was going to become a Collingwood player regardless. Next.

I love the Sydney fans being like “sure we used our extra salary cap to recruit the best player in the game on top of a list that had won 31 games the past two seasons, which exposed it as the rort it always was… but why the AFL removed it is a total mystery… gosh the AFL just hates us (drafts Nick Blakey as a freebie academy player)”
You act like we didn't push players out to make room for Buddy

So it’s ok for Hawthorn to threepeat, just not anyone else?
The Swans could've threepeated when they matched Hawthorn with 5 successive top 4 appearances from 2012-2016 and played in 3 Grand Finals. I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make here. The AFL makes no special rules deliberately targeted towards the Hawthorn Football Club which benefits them at the expense of the rest of the competition (like they do for Sydney and the 3 other AFL-owned northern franchises)

There's the inherent advantage of being a Victorian team and playing in Grand finals at the MCG. But this is largely offset by non-Victorian teams finishing in the Top 4 and getting to host two home finals against opposition teams who might not even have played a single game at the SCG (or one game at the very most.) It's a huge advantage for Sydney (or West Coast, Brisbane, etc) to finish in the Top 2 and get a virtual magic carpet ride into the Grand Final with 2 home finals.

However, these Grand Final gripes pale into insignificance when you consider the recruiting & salary cap leg-ups which the AFL have bestowed upon the northern clubs. Like I said already: the Swans have played in 19 of 22 finals series. The AFL ensures you never have to spend 6 or 7 years in the rebuilding wilderness. You guys get to maintain your strong primetime tv presence because that's exactly how Channel 7 and the AFL execs want it.

Meanwhile, my club has not played a single prime-time game on Thurs or Friday night for the past TWO YEARS!!! :oops:

The 10 Victorian clubs are basically at war with each other in trying to lure recruits and build a finals-calibre team... Imagine trying to compete with Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon for free agent signings! The task is made all the more difficult by the Swans, Giants, Suns and Lions getting free hits on 1st round draft picks and trumping the needy cellar-dwellers with their so-called "academy" selections. It's bullshit...

Last edited:
I think they can afford to lose a Warner. Swans are good list managers (they kind of have to be with avoiding rebuilds and often a big star forward). If they win the flag and Chad was keen to take a better offer the Swans should embrace it. Gulden is the guy you’d like to keep one-club anyway and they have him for four more yet.

Oh ok, it was all about Collingwood?

Darcy to Dogs, Ashcroft to Lions, or plenty of others but you go straight for the Collingwood link.

If you continue to come off like a "clickbait" news article by mentioning Coillingwood, then your sooking wont be taken seriously.

You cannont possibly be this thick.

Once you compare the players (and their salaries) that went out, to the ones that came in, then you may see your answer.

Well I’m not going to be drawn into yet another ****ight about this but the fact is the Swans followed their CoLA accountability obligations to the letter of the law and the AFL has never adequately explained what they were being punished for.

(If anyone has hard evidence the Swans were illegally rorting CoLA go right ahead and table it; there’ll be plenty of non-AFL journalists who would make their careers over it, but no-one has ever uncovered anything have they.)

This is my last posting on this tired, dead-horse topic.

Well I’m not going to be drawn into yet another ****ight about this but the fact is the Swans followed their CoLA accountability obligations to the letter of the law and the AFL has never adequately explained what they were being punished for.

(If anyone has hard evidence the Swans were illegally rorting CoLA go right ahead and table it; there’ll be plenty of non-AFL journalists who would make their careers over it, but no-one has ever uncovered anything have they.)

This is my last posting on this tired, dead-horse topic.
Hey what? Didn't the AFL say at the time you could trade so long as you ditched COLA immediately rather than waiting for the 2 year phase-out? Thought it was all pretty clear at the time - AFL was ditching COLA as it had been recognised as an unfair advantage. To avoid exploitation of the advantage during the transitional phase they implemented the trade restrictions.
What any of this has to do with Chad Warner though is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Sydney keep Warner and avoid more trade bans?

Back