Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

7 mill over 7 years for Grundy is cheap by today's salary cap let alone considering future increases. Could easily command 1.2 to 1.5 now. Do what many other clubs have done over the past decade and make it tomorrow's problem via back ending the deal if need be.

Last edited:
Can we afford them? Not if they both demand market price. If they both accept slightly unders and we cut a few depth players then I would assume so but our salary cap will be extremely tight.

I don't dislike him, I just think he is overrated and I'm not the only one that looks past the 50+ hitouts and notices them not going to advantage.

Grundy had 17 hit outs to advantage against the WB. The WB had 6 hit outs.... total. You obviously either don’t recall what it was like having junk rucks at Collingwood or are choosing to forget. We are blessed massively with Grundy in our team. Irreplaceable.

Grundy had 17 hit outs to advantage against the WB. The WB had 6 hit outs.... total. You obviously either don’t recall what it was like having junk rucks at Collingwood or are choosing to forget. We are blessed massively with Grundy in our team. Irreplaceable.

Darren Jolly, premiership ruckman

I don't dislike him, I just think he is overrated and I'm not the only one that looks past the 50+ hitouts and notices them not going to advantage.

You can't always just direct taps wherever you want, they are under pressure. He put many taps straight down our throat too. If you think every one is going to cause a runaway clearance you haven't been watching footy long.

Both are critical to our future prospects and must be signed sealed and delivered. Plenty of others can take a deserved pay cut including 95% of our “ star studded midfield “ who have had there colours lowered in last 4 games. Degoey changed the game in the last quarter when put in the middle. Amazing the difference having a player that actually wants to go in and get the ball can make.

It was stated in another thread but his hit out to advantage was 29% (which is apparently top 3 in the league).

So you have a bloke with that many hit outs and is top 3 in the league for hit outs to advantage. Then add his clearances.

Some might say the best player in the game.

Me think you might have to find another argument (agenda)
I believe that is nail on the head stuff T

The length of rumoured deal and thus security gets you a bit of a discount imo
The media love this stuff; all good teams face such dilemmas.

Will work out very well for us.

De Goey, Moore, Grundy till they retire.

Pendles will retire next year which will free up 800k.
Out of curiosity how do you arrive at this thought?

I’d suggest, Pendlebury will be with us a good few more years. Likely break Tony Shaw’s game record.
Very few are as dedicated to fitness and preparation as he is.

7 mill over 7 years for Grundy is cheap by today's salary cap let alone considering future increases. Could easily command 1.2 to 1.5 now. Do what many other clubs have done over the past decade and make it tomorrow's problem via back ending the deal if need be.

Re: future cap increases, some of the better players on longer term deals will index their future contracts to cap increases. But only ratchets I think!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re: future cap increases, some of the better players on longer term deals will index their future contracts to cap increases. But only ratchets I think!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pendlebury is one of the few players in the comp with that clause currently. It isn't common, but the game might head that way more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we afford two elite players?

Of course we can.

Beyond being a bit of media clickbait, this isn't even a question.

Out of curiosity how do you arrive at this thought?

I’d suggest, Pendlebury will be with us a good few more years. Likely break Tony Shaw’s game record.
Very few are as dedicated to fitness and preparation as he is.

That said I agree but his wage would be reducing dramatically and I think he would be happy with this as chance of success. Ie he will need to be on significantly less money going forward

You can't always just direct taps wherever you want, they are under pressure. He put many taps straight down our throat too. If you think every one is going to cause a runaway clearance you haven't been watching footy long.

No but you’d expect better than 50/50 when winning the taps 95% of the time!

Is this true of all ruck domination?

Do all ruck great games constantly gain the % you suggest?

Or is it usually a raffle or reliant on the mids completing the deal with carrying the ball away?

Is this true of all ruck domination?

Do all ruck great games constantly gain the % you suggest?

Or is it usually a raffle or reliant on the mids completing the deal with carrying the ball away?

Have often read of ruckmen of the past tapping it to advantage most of the time but think today people expect them to contribute all around the ground and don't measure them as much by their actual ruck work.

What distinguishes Grundy is all of the non ruck work that he does. Pay whatever it takes. De Goey is a really good player, but is not God. He should be well paid. Then there is Elliott coming out of contract. And Moore. And Seir. It goes on and on, as it does for every club. There is a lot of financial work to be done.

Can we afford them? Not if they both demand market price. If they both accept slightly unders and we cut a few depth players then I would assume so but our salary cap will be extremely tight.
When hawks and cats had there sides up the top for years in a row they didn't get any chore players poached. Players all took a sacrificed money for success. I think we have a team that can compete for the next 5 years or so if the players commit.

Depends who replaced him, maybe our midfield would have a better chance if their ruckman wasn't feeding the opposition so easily

He gets a lot of taps, but you would think if your ruck was winning the hitouts 58-6 or whatever it was, with our midfield the clearances would be well in our favour? So whats going wrong?

Also doesnt kick many goals for a big guy, hell all his goals are probably from taking the ball out of the ruck

He is a dominant ruckman in terms of hitout stats, but he is incredibly overrated

Jeez, if people think talls are our weakness now. Imagine what it'll look like when you axe Moore for being a match-losing dud and trade Grundy for not being worth his salary or trade price.

Assuming that’s the going rate by all dominant rucks? Is it.

If our mids don’t complete the deal or the ball is locked up quickly, doesn’t that reflect the stats you’re quoting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we afford all of De Goey, Grundy, and Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back