Opinion Can we 'click' this late in the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You'd expect we should raise our game against better opposition. 6 in a row is good going no matter what anyone says. Last year the Hawks lost to GWS and the Giants were not playing like they are now. Melbourne beat the Bulldogs this year by 40 points. It happens against lowly teams. On the other hand, we will need to put together at least 3 and a half good quarters per game from here on.

This has been on my mind for a while gaso. I have no idea but we'll find out next week.

Is it healthy to get into bad habits like consistently having fadeouts, for up to whole halves, and just rely on our level of class across the board to will us over the line? Is it healthy to play these sorts of teams in a row? We'll find a lot from next week, for better or for worse.

My old man is adament that we play poor unconvincing footy against poor teams and lift a notch when playing the better teams.

But yes he is old.

We did last year, not so much this year, we have been reamed by the better teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not convinced. Reckon we are in for a harsh reality check next week.

Our brand of footy is rubbish. Stop/start play, high hang time balls down the line, miss targets all over the park under no pressure, 2m handballs to blokes in as bad/worse position, fumbling, bad decision making, defenders out of position constantly. It is a miracle we have won as many games as we have in a row, even against weaker teams.

Yet we put together a quarter of footy which is of a good standard. We have to be able to play closer to that one quarter effort for a whole lot longer than one quarter.

Our brand of footy is rubbish. Stop/start play, high hang time balls down the line, miss targets all over the park under no pressure, 2m handballs to blokes in as bad/worse position, fumbling, bad decision making, defenders out of position constantly. It is a miracle we have won as many games as we have in a row, even against weaker teams.

Yet we put together a quarter of footy which is of a good standard. We have to be able to play closer to that one quarter effort for a whole lot longer than one quarter.

Totally agree. Rubbish brand.

Those high Hang time balls shit me - good luck forwards.

Just heard on radio station 1026 just now, North are 'RED HOT' :drunk:o_O
following their sixth consecutive victory which tells you more about the 'standard' of today's modern footy. If North are 5th on the ladder... and this year has been a distance drop off of what North brought to the party last year as we all know.

Can the season be saved? I believe it can but just wonder if BS is 'kidding himself' with not focussing on the 'OBVIOUS' and that is ... having North start working with such an unrelenting style of pressure pressure pressure!! Just show us it is evident for a full quarter?? All I've noticed is North are more than happy to absorb the opposing teams attacking drives and hope the opposition don't inflict damage on the scoreboard then capitalize on the opposing teams lack of run (which is ok) but sheesh... I'm far from convinced that anything from 2014 is evident so far this season.

Guess North's fitness is NOWHERE near last seasons levels and fear we'll be smashed in one of the remaining games to prove/ vindicate my points above.

In 6 years at the helm, this the season when BS should have North right where they need to be... meh.. not showing it UNLESS he is 'funking with us all' ...

Yesterday was the best and worst we've played all season. The amount of missed targets in the first half was just deplorable. I still hope we can but I'm not convinced. Agree with what the Ziebull said earlier in this thread. Our match selection at times reminds me of a poker machine addict - which is ironic given our stance on them. We gamble and we gamble too much on dream's instead of focus on reality. I know we want Hansen in the team and in form but he's not near that yet and you just can't afford it. Wells (assuming we get him in over the next couple of weeks) is a gamble I can live with because from what I have seen over the last 15 years he actually can turn his skills on immediately. That's the reason he stands out so much in the preseason - he is by far and away the most naturally talented midfielder on our list.

I still hope they hit better form but have no problem appreciating the wins - 6 wins is good no matter what. And I disagree with one thing I've seen written. I don't think the gap between the top 3 is anything near like it was the last few years.

Yesterday was the best and worst we've played all season. The amount of missed targets in the first half was just deplorable...... I don't think the gap between the top 3 is anything near like it was the last few years.

You mention 3 teams and I suspect our biatches are not amongst those three? Right?

What is seriously bewildering is that even a team like the much maligned Hardwick Tigers are 'having a fair dinkum crack' to seriously trouble the top tier teams and good on them but it's annoyingly shameful North are not even a shadow of that quality of form capacity. It's just the pressure pressure pressure element severely missing and I can't for the life of me understand how North don't see it!!! It's glaringly evident every flipping week!!!

Nothing has been done to fix the second quarter Houdini quarters which I prefer to call the DCQ (Dentist Chair Quarter).

If I'm a guy like Firrito and Petrie.. I'd be SCATHING on my teammates for getting continually lazy. This is clearly their last roll of the dice. Premiership glory is 'waiting to be snatched'. But unfortunately for Spud & Dish they have too many 'complacent c***s' in the lockeroom!!!

Last edited:
U no what would be a friggin classic!
If we actually do click and decide to play 4 quarters in the finals and actually give it a shake.....

North are an enigma wrapped in a riddle only this season it's been mostly about being flat-track bullies. We've improved the list from last year so what's the problem? Wells can't be expected to be our 11th hour savior? Surely not??

Just heard on radio station 1026 just now, North are 'RED HOT' :drunk:o_O
following their sixth consecutive victory which tells you more about the 'standard' of today's modern footy. If North are 5th on the ladder... and this year has been a distance drop off of what North brought to the party last year as we all know.

Can the season be saved? I believe it can but just wonder if BS is 'kidding himself' with not focussing on the 'OBVIOUS' and that is ... having North start working with such an unrelenting style of pressure pressure pressure!! Just show us it is evident for a full quarter?? All I've noticed is North are more than happy to absorb the opposing teams attacking drives and hope the opposition don't inflict damage on the scoreboard then capitalize on the opposing teams lack of run (which is ok) but sheesh... I'm far from convinced that anything from 2014 is evident so far this season.

Guess North's fitness is NOWHERE near last seasons levels and fear we'll be smashed in one of the remaining games to prove/ vindicate my points above.

In 6 years at the helm, this the season when BS should have North right where they need to be... meh.. not showing it UNLESS he is 'funking with us all' ...
Is it really true that this year has been a "distance drop off of what North brought to the party last year, as we all know", Woodson? I know it feels like it sometimes. However it does fly in the face of the stats. At this time last year, we were 11-8 off the back of two dismal floggings against Geelong and CARLTON. After that, we hit our straps and made it to the Prelim. I suggest that after the next three outings, we'll be able to decide the truth of the matter. I hope we rise to the occasion. At this stage, as supporters, that's about all we can hang our hats on. Everything else is gut feel and the old "the past was always better than the present" feelings, which we all know, generally proves to be incorrect. Last year, right through the year, everybody said that we were better in 2013. A quick look back at lat year's threads will confirm this. However, we didn't even make the finals then. Go figure.

Nah I see us dropping at least 2 of these next three - this has been a very unconvincing win streak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back