canteens in the ammos

Remove this Banner Ad

While at The Unicorn Club on the weekend I noticed they had signs up for a BBQ - $2.50 for a snag in bread or $10 all you can eat snags, burgers, chicken & salad. Was still full from the hot roast beef roll I knocked down after 18 holes earlier that morning, but I liked the idea.

Ventured down to panther land yesterday afternoon to try the captains burger recomended by old mentonians clubmen Chris Graham and his pal David Teasedale. The burger itself was borderline alrite as it was bit underdone. However good customer service ladies in particular Britney Spears.

Just a reminder nominations close this week for canteen of the month

Your favourite and ur pal

Baz

Well done bazza! You should win an award for this thread.

Yesterday, my mates Wally, Fist, Mr Lee, Smitty and myself were fortunate enough to do a food connosieurs tour of Sunbury. The trip started with a stop of at Lay's bakery. I had a very nice chicken and salad roll with avocado. However, Mrs Lay was shocked when I declined her offer of 'salt and pepper'. My mate Smitty inquired about banana muffins but was forced to settle for a 'happy day face cake.'
Meanwhile Mr Lee who preferred the look of Sunbury Flames, feasted on a bag of hot chips and 5 chicken nuggets. The perfect meal at 9 30 am.
Later on at the birthplace of the ashes the crew were very excited to dine at the rupertswood canteen, which according to many is the best canteen in the ammos. I had one of the much hyped Gillies pies. Unfortunately the pie felt like it had done a bit of microwave work. It broke up very easily and it was too hot to appreciate the taste. However the jam doughnut was the best I have ever had and the can of coke I gave a rating of 7 out of 10. Overall the gang believed that this was the best canteen they hAd visited and that the canteen lady was very lovely.
On the trip home we stopped of at BWS and purchased a six pack of Melbourne Bitter. At $15.80, it was definately on the expensive side but it was worth every penny.
I highly reccomend a day trip to Sunbury to anyone who is serious about their food.

If you are venturing down South Melbourne way, you have to do yourself a favour and pop into the South Market pick up a dozen of the famous Dims Sims and spring rolls and a tub of chips and head back to watch on or all of South Districts,Ajax, Albert Park, Collegians, or Old Melburnians.A good supply of soft drink is mandatory once the soy sauce kicks in.Not in the spirit but a great feed.

Sorry fellas been away on business for the last couple of weeks, As I have been consulting for GWS on effective canteen management and what strategies need to be in place and I have been a consultant for local sporting clubs in Manly,Cronulla and Parramata.

Hope to have a ripper review of a canteen after the first week back of the break.

Thanks for your support to this thread

Baz

Another thumbs down for the OM's tent at the Junction. No snakes, and plain Black and Gold teabags. Come on guys, $2 for a cup of water and a teabag, you might make it Dilmah, or at least something with a string on it.

Agree. Terrible tent. Bought a salad roll and a cup of tea. Not much change from $10. :thumbsdown:

Ventured to virginal territory for me (which is not easy) within the VAFA yesterday at Glenhuntly Oval where I was greeted by a rather ordinary canteen set-up at the home of the Fields.

Hot dogs were pedestrian and the variety of other options was minimal. Simply lacked much character or pizzaz, and the service seemed laboured (like they didn't really want you there). A few of the lads suggested we duck down to Glenhuntly Rd to sample the best the local Carnegie shopping strip had to offer. May have had something to do with Kittens opening at 1pm, but we'll let that slide.

I daresay that, whilst the club itself hopes to enter the top echelons in 2011, they need to do a bit of work on the canteen front to match their on-field aspirations.

4/10 :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think ONE of the keys to a good hot dog is the roll they serve it in . I know its only lowly D4, but the Bulleen canteen , run by the same old bloke for the past few years has cracking hotdogs. For i think between 3$ and 3.50$ (cant remember exactly but would shell out for another one without blinking) but the real kicker is the roll . None of this supermarket bread roll crap . But good crunchy , fresh bakery quality rolls

I think ONE of the keys to a good hot dog is the roll they serve it in . I know its only lowly D4, but the Bulleen canteen , run by the same old bloke for the past few years has cracking hotdogs. For i think between 3$ and 3.50$ (cant remember exactly but would shell out for another one without blinking) but the real kicker is the roll . None of this supermarket bread roll crap . But good crunchy , fresh bakery quality rolls

Totally agree there. But when they are using the same awesome rolls when serving up roast beef rolls with gravy, can't help but overlook the hot dog for something heartier.
Young kid helping serve did so with a smile too :thumbsu:

Ventured to gerry green reserve on saturday afternoon and was quite impressed by the $3.50 hot dog with cheese and numerous sauces avaliable. However there was bit of innovation by the ladies at the vulture kiosk by organising a raffle which my friend won hahaha. But most importantly the little sales trick by the ladies by saying they didnt have any change for a fiver so I had to purchase a few packets of zappos which were alrite. This also happened to my mate craig.

Baz

Was very impressed over the weekend by the canteen crew at glenhuntly oval for their impressive cookery. One of the best sausage rolls I have ever had in my amatuer footy life.
However this weekend I venture to the gary smorgon oval it has been giving me nightmares all week after last years disaster. I have already made my ham and salad sandwiches to aviod what happened to me last year.

cya at a canteen near you!

Baz

Was very impressed over the weekend by the canteen crew at glenhuntly oval for their impressive cookery. One of the best sausage rolls I have ever had in my amatuer footy life.
However this weekend I venture to the gary smorgon oval it has been giving me nightmares all week after last years disaster. I have already made my ham and salad sandwiches to aviod what happened to me last year.

Baz

Baz, what happened last year at Gary Smorgon? Was it a putrid canteen or was it the lack of ham in the rolls? Not sure what you're getting at...

Will be heading back to Glenhuntly Oval to see my beloved Jacka's play off vs Caulfield in a couple of weeks.

What ever happened to Glenhuntly FC - What would it take to get a club such as this up and running again.

Baz, what happened last year at Gary Smorgon? Was it a putrid canteen or was it the lack of ham in the rolls? Not sure what you're getting at...

Will be heading back to Glenhuntly Oval to see my beloved Jacka's play off vs Caulfield in a couple of weeks.

What ever happened to Glenhuntly FC - What would it take to get a club such as this up and running again.

They are up and running, they were one of 4 clubs to form Glen Eira in d2.

Baz

How did the ham and salad sangas go down Baz, or did you give the Gary Smorgan Oval another crack this year? If so, I hope it wasn't as bad as seeing Frank Woodly on the breezers.

been sneaking round canteens over the pre season and looking at the new menus and some organisations have decieded to bring in some new innovations.

here are some new things to hit the vafa this winter:

werribee- the majak daw sandwich
st bedes- the wintle whopper
hampton- barney banana ice cream
old essendon- the condos club sandwich
st marys salesian- the waller waffer
beaumaris- tonka treats and oysters kilpatrick.
caulfield grammarians- roast of the day
old melbournians- jamie oliver catering
st kevins- matt preston designed menu
old mentonians- the "spearsy"
richmond central- roast rabbitt roll
Mt Lillydale- ingham battery chicken delights!
Swimbourne Uni- Mcdonalds
Oakleigh- Byo
Collegians- south melbourne dim sims
Ajax- under new management
Pennisula-aussie hero double cheese

Hope you enjoy!

Your friend and your favourite
Cya at the tuckshop
baz

:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

canteens in the ammos