Captains 2017: It's Kennedy! Vice captains Hanners, Parker, Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it me or does our team suddenly look more dangerous as a threat for the p'ship with this announcement.
It makes us better.
It once again shows our professionalism as a club.
Meanwhile the Hawks have dismantled their key leaders of the last 8 years.
I agree it will make us better on the field. Old fashioned leadership. Do as I do not just do as I say. His grandfather's famous edict was "Don't think. Just DO". The effect of Kennedy's leadership by example could be tangible on our younger players. We will have a very young team out there next year.

God I hate this it is so ****ing bad it is causing me anxiety. Everyone agreeing! noooo! This can't be happening. It is an illusion. Somebody replaced the Swans Board with the Brisbane board. After all they all agree they are crap. How am I to get over this situation that Punts and Bedford actually agree! Noooo! This is not healthy! I actually agree with everyone!! ****! I need to kill myself right now! Please tell me this is not happening and I am in an Alternative Swans reality called the Saigon Swans. AHHHH ! Yes I can cope now. Vietnam Swans, I always agree with them.

I think Newman is ready to go in the HB role now employing Macca. So I don't doubt Macca might miss matches. Several things were obvious if you like to look at the matches he played last year;

1. His foot skills were way down, generally putting the ball to teammates feet or over their heads as he chipped the ball rather than kicking it.

2. His pace was down on 2015. He got caught a lot and found out in the defensive half by quicker forwards. Scored on a lot especially against GWS.

3. his strength was laughable. He was pushed off the ball and his opponent then had a free run at it and he was even beaten by skinny developing ruckmen. Whitfield pushed him off the ball for crying out loud. that is pathetic.

4. He took far too long to make decisions. While this has always been his way and he was clever and elusive enough to get out of trouble, last season his awareness was crap and he was caught or dispossessed too easily.

5. While he kicked some really good goals the side of his game that was so very dangerous, being one out in the goal square was not good as his strength seems to have evaporated.

In all his time is limited and while he may get a few games, like ROK he will struggle in an environment in which the younger players are all stronger than him. I know how he feels almost everybody is stronger than me.
Glad to see an objective and non-personal post on where Macca is at. He's been a good skipper and maybe he has stayed too long, but he hasn't deserved some of the calumny heaped upon him. Good luck to Joey. Love the choices for VC, lots of good support and decision making there. The future looks bright.

Maybe it was just me but I didn't think McVeigh was that bad this year. Had some woeful games and ones he shouldn't have played in (the GF being one), but overall it wasn't an awful year.

This is the right call by the club but I don't think it's the end for McVeigh. Comfortably in our best 22

Maybe it was just me but I didn't think McVeigh was that bad this year. Had some woeful games and ones he shouldn't have played in (the GF being one), but overall it wasn't an awful year.

This is the right call by the club but I don't think it's the end for McVeigh. Comfortably in our best 22
You make me laugh! He's comfortably in our best 22 when he's in his best form, otherwise it's the NEAFL for him...he'll be the new ROK!

Not only isn't he in the best 22. He shouldn't be in the best 22. We need a heap more pace on the outside. Time to give more of the kids a go, particularly Newman and the Irish Kid. And its time for Dawson also. McVeigh has a continuing role in mentoring and perhaps transitioning to coaching. McVeigh playing in 2017 gives us little in the present and nothing in the future. No room for nostalgia or sentiment. We can win a premiership in 2017 but not with him on the field.

You make me laugh! He's comfortably in our best 22 when he's in his best form, otherwise it's the NEAFL for him...he'll be the new ROK!

He's in our best 22. We literally have 10 players that can genuinely kick the ball well, and he is one. Was it his best season, no. But does that mean he isn't best 22, no.

Not only isn't he in the best 22. He shouldn't be in the best 22. We need a heap more pace on the outside. Time to give more of the kids a go, particularly Newman and the Irish Kid. And its time for Dawson also. McVeigh has a continuing role in mentoring and perhaps transitioning to coaching. McVeigh playing in 2017 gives us little in the present and nothing in the future. No room for nostalgia or sentiment. We can win a premiership in 2017 but not with him on the field.

Each to their own. At the same time you don't want to play kids just because they are kids. The must be ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each to their own. At the same time you don't want to play kids just because they are kids. The must be ready.
The game is changing quickly. Teams must have players who can break the lines and run and carry the ball particularly of the half backline. The GWS Bulldogs style will be replicated by many teams. McVeigh simply doesn't have the pace to do this anymore. We have loaded up the squad with young fast kids who can run and carry. Time to use them

Agreed, McVeigh wasn't a bad performer by any stretch of the imagination but for him we've set the bar real high. Only 2 years ago he was blinding out of the half back with a penetrating kick now he's a little slower with a few mistakes here and there. His body is catching up with him and I'm sure he wont be too great next season

Then you obviously didn't realise that he and k Jack were on the selection committee. If you search, you will find. No need to apologise :grimacing:
I was aware they were on the committee. They have that right as captain. BUT, they are not the sole decision makers and merely make recommendations.

I'm still relatively traumatised from the Bravedogs debacle, but this brings back some confidence. Right choice of captain, right choice of VCs.

I did wonder if Buddy would have a place in the leadership group given some of the rhetoric surrounding his role last year, but I guess not.

Glad to see an objective and non-personal post on where Macca is at. He's been a good skipper and maybe he has stayed too long, but he hasn't deserved some of the calumny heaped upon him. Good luck to Joey. Love the choices for VC, lots of good support and decision making there. The future looks bright.

I agree Chris. I have never liked personalising things. I think whether a player gets a game or not should always depend on form. Macca's form was not particularly good last year after a delayed start. He might just surprise us all and have a great 2017 season. He has been a very good captain, even with the pointing and sometimes petulant behaviour. But the time has come to have a captain who always stands up under pressure and just does it, leading by example, no fuss just DO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Captains 2017: It's Kennedy! Vice captains Hanners, Parker, Rampe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back