Careers outside AFL that have outshone their playing careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys who most wouldn't know played the game unless they followed it 15 years back. Cordy played a lot of footy though admittedly.
At first I'm like, "Everyone knows these guys played footy!" Then I'm thinking, "I wonder what the average age is for BF posters?"

Jack Dyer - member of the Victorian parliament
Darrell Baldock - member of the Tassie parliament

Both great players, so maybe politican was a step down

Ryan O'Keefe - once dated the now Princess Mary of Denmark

John Nicholls - Pentridge prisoner. Definitely a step up from playing with Carlton

Someone will have to help me with the name, but I seem to remember an ex fitzroy player who was the fitness coach to Andre Agassi. Darryn? Nope, can't think of it. Anyway, I'm sure someone will come up with it. Or tellme I'm talking complete rubbish.

At first I'm like, "Everyone knows these guys played footy!" Then I'm thinking, "I wonder what the average age is for BF posters?"

Well yeah, if you've followed the game for a while it's obvious but you don't here much reference to their past in the game. I've got mates who had no idea they had played and they are in their early 20s so who knows.

Someone will have to help me with the name, but I seem to remember an ex fitzroy player who was the fitness coach to Andre Agassi. Darryn? Nope, can't think of it. Anyway, I'm sure someone will come up with it. Or tellme I'm talking complete rubbish.
Brett Stephens?

A few more, going back a bit:
Sam Loxton (St, 41 games) - 12 Test matches (cricket)
George Tribe (WB, 66 games) - 3 Tests (cricket)
Ambrose Palmer (WB, 81 games) - boxer, Australian champion in three weight divisions, legendary trainer whose charges included Johnny Famechon
Laurie Morgan (Fi, 34 games) - won two equestrian gold medals at the 1960 Olympics
George Stuckey (Es, 71 games) - captained the Bombers to a flag, represented Victoria at cricket and won the Stawell Gift - in one year!

Edit: Basil Onyons (Me, 37 games) - scored 6 centuries in 11 Sheffield Shield matches for Victoria (avg. 62)

It was Brett "Moose" Stephens - it was either Agassi or Sampras he was working with

Has anyone mentioned Adrian Barich? A complete knob on 6PR and Channel 7, but still more successful than his playing career with WCE.

yep and also played thugby league with the western reds on their inception year of 1995. probs thats what made him as a knob now.

Richard Pratt - won the Morrish Medal but has certainly achieved a bit more in the business world
Brian Dixon - Melbourne premiership player who went on to be Minister for Youth, Sport & Recreation & one of the people behind the Life Be In It Campaign.
Neil 'Nipper' Trezise - Geelong player who also served as Minister for Youth, Sport & Recreation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it's the correct first name but there was a rumour floating around that Mike Richardson of Collingwood, Essendon and Brisbane made some interesting movies in the US on completion of his playing days.

Gary Pert was a very, very, very good player. Dench was better. Dench invented the notion of backman running out.

10 yrs between their careers but Dench got accolades as part of a successful team...not saying he wasnt any good but IMO guys like Pert and Langford (primetime 10 yrs after Dench) would make him look average at FB. Not gonna debate who is better but this thread is meant to be about successful career players.

All Dench is famous for career wise is attempting to defraud a university of millions.

Pert and Langford are two of the greatest FB's of that 80-early 90's era...you clould slot either into the FB role but based on career Pert gets the nod. Langford is an AFL commissioner but unsure what else he's been doing...whatever it is he's prob very good at it.

Pert will likely be Eddie's replacement as president of Collingwood...is about to be head honcho at Ch 9 in Melbourne and has umpteen business achievements up his sleeve. Popular and likeable bloke too.

I'd leave Dench out of it in disgrace...Pert or Langford great choices at FB or CHB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Careers outside AFL that have outshone their playing careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back