Analysis Have the Crows botched their rebuild?

Have the Crows botched their rebuild?

• Yes

Votes: 95 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 26.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they're still well placed. People have unrealistic expectations on the timeframes around rebuilds and history shows that premierships are usually won when there's a really good core of A+ and B+ players in their mid to late 20s. Crows aren't there yet as that current cohort in the 27+ bracket isn't good enough but their kids like Rankine, Soligo, Tilthorp, Downling et al should be when they get to that stage. It's about continuing to surround that group with good talent and replacing guys like Tex, ROB, Laird as they continue to age.

I think they're still well placed. People have unrealistic expectations on the timeframes around rebuilds and history shows that premierships are usually won when there's a really good core of A+ and B+ players in their mid to late 20s. Crows aren't there yet as that current cohort in the 27+ bracket isn't good enough but their kids like Rankine, Soligo, Tilthorp, Downling et al should be when they get to that stage. It's about continuing to surround that group with good talent and replacing guys like Tex, ROB, Laird as they continue to age.

I don't think the expectations were that unrealistic, nor do I think it's particularly fair Adelaide gets off scot-free for this one. The profile was there last year to be a good candidate to bounce into the upper echelon and, for whatever reason, we lost it. Take CD, third best rated team in 2023, best team off turnovers, 3rd best from generating scores in the forward half, 2nd best from defense and a hard team to move the ball against. It's not too dissimilar to the Hawks profile now, difference is they're making hay, whilst we didn't. It's a team and list that should be better then is currently.

But, that's football, I guess as it does have a habit of punishing clubs that piss away opportunity after opportunity. My hope is it was a just a "time to grow up" campaign for our next gen, and not a sign of a club about to stall out in the mid-table.

Last edited:

I don't think the expectations were that unrealistic, nor do I think it's particularly fair Adelaide gets off scot-free for this one. The profile was there last year to be a good candidate to bounce into the upper echelon and, for whatever reason, we lost it. Take CD, third best rated team in 2023, best team off turnovers, 3rd best from generating scores in the forward half, 2nd best from defense and a hard team to move the ball against. It's not too dissimilar to the Hawks profile now, difference is they're making hay, whilst we didn't. It's a team and list that should be better then is currently.

But, that's football, I guess as it does have a habit of punishing clubs that piss away opportunity after opportunity. My hope is it was a just a "time to grow up" campaign for our next gen, and not a sign of a club about to stall out in the mid-table.
I think Adelaide suffered, like most lower half “breakout teams”, from a dose of more experienced coaching teams finding time and being able to assess and strategise to take away their strengths.
Where the test for Adelaide comes is not just being able to force through their A-game, but being able to successfully execute a plan-B just well enough to be able to prise teams away from that, then be able to switch between the two as required.

It’s still something that I think Hawthorn will have to face, I’m sure the current finals opponents have plans they’ll look to implement, and the top 4 have all beaten them during this quite sensational run. And I think that Mitchell is a good enough coach to work it out (prob already has!) and it just remains to see if he has the cattle to pull it off.

I think Adelaide suffered, like most lower half “breakout teams”, from a dose of more experienced coaching teams finding time and being able to assess and strategise to take away their strengths.
Where the test for Adelaide comes is not just being able to force through their A-game, but being able to successfully execute a plan-B just well enough to be able to prise teams away from that, then be able to switch between the two as required.

It’s still something that I think Hawthorn will have to face, I’m sure the current finals opponents have plans they’ll look to implement, and the top 4 have all beaten them during this quite sensational run. And I think that Mitchell is a good enough coach to work it out (prob already has!) and it just remains to see if he has the cattle to pull it off.

I do agree, that's a factor early. Later on, as Adelaide got younger, it probably lessened seeing our overall profile worsened as the year went on. Though possibly that's also a case of it became easier to prevent plan A influencing. Still there is 8 months to rediscover that turnover game as we have the cattle for it (but then, so does 16 other teams).

No doubt. It'll also be harder because one of the bad things about the offseason it is wipes out momentum, and younger teams can be a bit momentum dependant. Still, and unfortunately, Mitchell seems to have a pretty good grasp of what needs to be done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Have the Crows botched their rebuild?

Back