Carey = Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

fahmi said:
Brown>Fevola quite comfortably...

Not really. Fev had a much better year than him as far as forwards go, and that is a fact.

Brown has the potential to be the best, but he's no where near that stage yet. Neitz, Fevola, Gehrig, Riewoldt, Hall, Richardson, Lloyd and Tredrea are all better than Brown based on performances this year as forwards. Brown is most likely to overtake all of them except perhaps Riewoldt, but the reality is that people like you expose Brown for how really overrated he is.

As an aside, it is silly to compare a CHF to a FF. But as a forward in general, all that I have listed are all better than Brown because they have performed better - it's as simple as that. And they are much more consistent. And until Brown can overtake them in the performance department, it will remain that way. You cannot live off potential alone, and I am willing to admit that Brown has greater potential than any of them.

tapestry said:
OUt of curiosity, anyone know what Carey's stats were for the same age or same number of games as Brown has to date?

Does that suddenly mean he's as good as him? Hell no. Wait until he actually has the peformancesup his sleeve (and year by year domination) until you can claim such nonsense.

Hell, Whitnall at 20 in CHF did better than what Carey did at 20 in CHF. Does that mean Whitnall = Carey?

My point is that you cannot claim that a player is that great until he performs to that level. And has Brown done this so far? No.

Thrawn said:
Does that suddenly mean he's as good as him? Hell no. Wait until he actually has the peformancesup his sleeve (and year by year domination) until you can claim such nonsense.

Hell, Whitnall at 20 in CHF did better than what Carey did at 20 in CHF. Does that mean Whitnall = Carey?

My point is that you cannot claim that a player is that great until he performs to that level. And has Brown done this so far? No.

What nonsense have I claimed? I just asked a question. At least leonmagic took my question for what it was, a question.

The_Flying_Egg said:
I know that at the same age Chris Grant had already won a best and fairest kicking over 70 goals in a team that played finals :cool: I also know that Browns never kicked 40 goals in a season, something Grant did when he was 17

Why compare him to Carey when he doesn't stack up well against guys like Tredrea, Grant and Reiwoldt??

Its a joke comparing him to Carey. Different league altogether. Brown is very physical, but he doesn't mark like Carey, doesn't kick like Carey and kicks not nearly enough goals

I think the main reason for the comparison with Carey is that they both play in a similar style. Watch the way Brown moves, it is a spitting image of Carey, and the pack marks that he takes are the same. If you see the game between Brisbane and Geelong down at Skilled Stadium this year, you will see Brown at his best. If he could keep his nose out of trouble and stay on the field for an entire season, he would be the best CHF in the league. He will play better footy next season when he is given more responsibility with the loss of Lynch. After all he is only 22 and will get better, most KPP are only decent once they get to around 24.

As for Chris Grant, he is very underrated by many, and the way he played when he was young was absolutely astonishing. A true champ in my opinion.

You can't compare Brown to Carey. All Carey was, was a lazy full forward. Overpaid, overrated, and over-sexed with his best friends wife. lol. He got what he deserved...a move to Adelaide. Me, however would never wish that upon anyone.

tapestry said:
What nonsense have I claimed? I just asked a question. At least leonmagic took my question for what it was, a question.

I apologise, a slip of the tongue (fingers actually), that was supposed to refer to other people who seriously think that Brown is Carey, or even close to him.

In recent times it has been Carey, Brereton and Kernahan who were the dominating CHFs and were a league of their own. Out of today's CHFs, only Tredrea comes close.

WestCat said:
As for Chris Grant, he is very underrated by many, and the way he played when he was young was absolutely astonishing. A true champ in my opinion.

Ahhhhh Chris Grant.... you know my 1 memory of him that will forever sum up his career? Let me set the stage....

Venue: W.A.C.A
Date: 29-May-1998
West Coast 0.4 8.6 13.12 16.17 113
Western Bulldogs 8.4 8.5 12.7 15.10

After the Western Bulldogs jumped us and were ahead 8 goals to 0... we came back in the 2nd quarter to kick the next 8 goals.... with seconds left on the clock Chris Grant took a mark 40 metres out from goal on the slightest of angles.... the siren went and the kick by Grant was to put the Bulldogs back in front at half time and put a dent in the Eagles momentum who had busted a gut to hit the front. My memory is a little hazy but it went something like this:

*Grant lines up for goal and walks in*
Bruce McAvaney: "This will put the Bulldogs back in front.... its a big man's kick for a big occasion"
*Grant's kick slips off his boot and doesnt even make the distance*
*Crowd goes wild... Bulldogs shoulder slump and the Eagles run off the ground full of confidence*
Bruce McAvaney: "You know... I reckon this might be a bit harsh but I reckon Carey would have kicked that... I know thats being hard on Chris Grant"

That 30 seconds sums up Chris Grant's career. Good.. but just not quite good enough to ever be considered a champion.

Thrawn said:
Not really. Fev had a much better year than him as far as forwards go, and that is a fact.

Brown has the potential to be the best, but he's no where near that stage yet. Neitz, Fevola, Gehrig, Riewoldt, Hall, Richardson, Lloyd and Tredrea are all better than Brown based on performances this year as forwards. Brown is most likely to overtake all of them except perhaps Riewoldt, but the reality is that people like you expose Brown for how really overrated he is.

As an aside, it is silly to compare a CHF to a FF. But as a forward in general, all that I have listed are all better than Brown because they have performed better - it's as simple as that. And they are much more consistent. And until Brown can overtake them in the performance department, it will remain that way. You cannot live off potential alone, and I am willing to admit that Brown has greater potential than any of them.

Well no sh.it....who else does Carlton to kick their goals seriously?

The next best was Whitnall with something like 25 goals...

Brisbane have many goal kickers and this allows Brown to be the protector and the avenue to the goals....ie: Take the contested mark(which Fevola rarely does) and feed players...and Carlton dont have a CHF to feed your players...he feeds himself :D ;)

Sherrinator said:
You can't compare Brown to Carey. All Carey was, was a lazy full forward. Overpaid, overrated, and over-sexed with his best friends wife. lol. He got what he deserved...a move to Adelaide. Me, however would never wish that upon anyone.

Of course you can compare brown and carey. Carey was a champion forward. He earnt his nickname the king and he was a true champion of the game. He was a great player and was a key forward just like brown. Carey wasnt over rated he was a machine in the kangaroo side just like brown is in the lion side

fahmi said:
Well no sh.it....who else does Carlton to kick their goals seriously?

The next best was Whitnall with something like 25 goals...

Brisbane have many goal kickers and this allows Brown to be the protector and the avenue to the goals....ie: Take the contested mark(which Fevola rarely does) and feed players...and Carlton dont have a CHF to feed your players...he feeds himself :D ;)

All irrelevant, I'm afraid. Tredrea as well as Gehrig and Hall have many goal kickers around them too so don't use that as an excuse. Performance matters - all those players I have mentioned have all performed better than Brown, and if people can name him the best CHF or forward in the league then there's no argument required.

You also did not consider the difference of midfield delievery - it is huge. Brown has the ball handed to him on a silver platter - Fevola does not. Still, that is also irrelevant - as a forward there is not a significant gap between Fevola and Brown, or Neitz and Brown, or... well, you get my point.

Thrawn said:
All irrelevant, I'm afraid. Tredrea as well as Gehrig and Hall have many goal kickers around them too so don't use that as an excuse. Performance matters - all those players I have mentioned have all performed better than Brown, and if people can name him the best CHF or forward in the league then there's no argument required.

You also did not consider the difference of midfield delievery - it is huge. Brown has the ball handed to him on a silver platter - Fevola does not. Still, that is also irrelevant - as a forward there is not a significant gap between Fevola and Brown, or Neitz and Brown, or... well, you get my point.

True..but I would rather have a Great CHF than a Great FF....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey = Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back