Carlton 2007 AFL Draft - Official

Remove this Banner Ad

Dennis Armfield Statistics:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/tea...D=118657820&client=1-2393-21520-38897-4320168

His myspace :) : http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32479715

Dennis Armfield
Number: 26
League Debut: 2002
Position: Utility
Nickname: Army
Date of Birth: 22/12/1986
Height: 184cm
Weight: 75kg
Primary School Attended: Maida Vale
Senior School Attended: Kalamunda
Junior Football Club: Eastern Hills
Recruited From: Kalamunda
Favourite Food: Spaghetti
Favourite Band: Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Best holiday destination? Tahitian Beaches
One word to describe yourself? Determined

Dennis Armfield (Swan Districts)
Dennis.Armfield.jpg
Collingwood scum!

He has the mad stare. :eek: :thumbsu:

Re: The Draft- Discussion Thread

Sorry, but I 'm not his biggest fan. The Russell and Hartlett selections really pissed me on draft day. I was really keen on Monfries and he was overlooked. Monfries will be a beauty at the Bombers.

Our picks look suss after Kreuser,i was wright about Ross Young to be delisted in 1 or 2 years.

The others,hard to see them get a spot in the backline when Joe Anderson would be the better player in a pocket but he isn't bad,Browne but Armfield has to impress me in the pre season he is already 21,so he will be 22 and yet to play AFL .

I believe last year draft was o.k, but could have done better with Jetta,the other years are laughable to who we could have got.

I would have gone for a tall forward or extra tall defender or another midfielder with lots of potential with great skills and speed,who is bottom age and plays with Kreuser,David Zaharakis.

Tim Bongetti leading goalkicker a option as a rookie along with midfielder Jared Petrenko.

I would have thrown a lifeline with Clayton Collard and Carl Peterson but i think the club don't like them because they not rich or had that perfect life like they have.

Austin Wonaemirri,i liked also but we have Eddie Betts.Chris Kangars would be a good choice for a tall defender,who is so quick and can maintain the speed but is a project player.

Our picks look wasted after Kreuser,i was wright about Ross Young to be delisted in 1 or 2 years.
Were you right about your love child Petersen or Mourish? :rolleyes:
The others,hard to see them get a spot in the backline when Joe Anderson would be the better player in a pocket but he isn't bad,Browne but Armfield has to impress me in the pre season he is already 21,so he will be 22 and yet to play AFL

I believe last year draft was o.k, but could have done better with Jetta,the other years are laughable to who we could have got.
Thankfully you're not picking our players.
I would have gone for a tall forward or extra tall defender or another midfielder with lots of potential with great skills and speed,who is bottom age and plays with Kreuser,David Zaharakis.
I haven't seen Zaharakis play, he needs to work on his skills according to a couple of people on here and was overlooked by 16 clubs today. I wanted to draft a kid at that pick too, but I realised we wouldn't pick one when Alan McConnell said each kid you draft costs the club at least $200,000 and two years of development.

It's not worth it if they're a long shot to make it and you don't rate anyone at that selection.

Why would you pick a forward or tall defender if he isn't any good just to grab a tall?

I don't want Carlton to draft another Prendergast who couldn't play football and kick.
I would have thrown a lifeline with Clayton Collard and Carl Peterson but i think the club don't like them because they not rich or had that perfect life like they have.
It's probably because they're black. :rolleyes:
Austin Wonaemirri,i liked also but we have Eddie Betts.Chris Kangars would be a good choice for a tall defender,who is so quick and can maintain the speed but is a project player.
Is Kangars tall enough to play as a tall defender?

I wanted Gaertner in the rookie draft, but I really think we have enough tall project players on our list and need more footballers with skill or grunt.

Our picks look wasted after Kreuser,i was wright about Ross Young to be delisted in 1 or 2 years.
Young was never on the list as a senior player. Big prize for guessing correctly that a mature-age rookie midfielder was not a long-term prospect. What that has to do with Browne and Armfield I don't know.

Sheesh, what do you expect with pick 46 in this draft? The kid sounds like he has plenty of upside, and worth a try with a pick that late.

You'd rather have Jetta than Hampson? Are you serious?

Not all clubs draft on the basis of best avilable- the Melbourne recruiter (I think) asaid as such on SEN. We drafted a player we dont really need- we traded for Richard Hadley to adress this need, and I think it was a knee jerk reaction to the treatment Murphy received this year when the main reason wasnt for a lack of defensive midfielders, it was a lack of midfielders generally.

We have a gaping defensive hole- we should have drafted a tall defender for the long term, not this knee jerk selection. The facthe comes from WA further makes me think WH went a little overboard on the drafting from WA thing this year.
We drafted Austin last year and he is looking good after just one year. :thumbsu:

I don't understand why you wanted a tall KPP when clearly we didn't rate any of the KPP that were on offer at 36, 46 and 52. Our list needed in and under players with skill and legspeed more than a tall defender who made it to picks, 36, 46 and 52.

There aren't any names which scream KPP after pick 36.

Were you right about your love child Petersen or Mourish? :rolleyes:

Thankfully you're not picking our players.

I haven't seen Zaharakis play, he needs to work on his skills according to a couple of people on here and was overlooked by 16 clubs today. I wanted to draft a kid at that pick too, but I realised we wouldn't pick one when Alan McConnell said each kid you draft costs the club at least $200,000 and two years of development.

It's not worth it if they're a long shot to make it and you don't rate anyone at that selection.

Why would you pick a forward or tall defender if he isn't any good just to grab a tall?

I don't want Carlton to draft another Prendergast who couldn't play football and kick.

It's probably because they're black. :rolleyes:

Is Kangars tall enough to play as a tall defender?

I wanted Gaertner in the rookie draft, but I really think we have enough tall project players on our list and need more footballers with skill or grunt.

Well Mourish i only thought about as he was a smokey,Petersen has done nothing wrong,have a look at what they said he did playing with Richmond Reserves side. He was the best player minus Nathan Brown when he was playing as he was injured and had been playing with OP for 2 years.

Thankfully i'm not picking our players we have someone better to do a great job with our picks,Hartlett,Russell and the verdict out for Edwards and Bower while Ackland is a gun along with Saddington and the delisted Mclaren.Austin,Hampson and Grigg have done nothing just yet but i have faith in Grigg will be O.K.Bryce Gibbs and Kreuser were no brainers at pick 1. Anderson and Benjamin are 2 players worth the pick,we will know in 2 years with most.

And don't tell me Pagan screwed their confidence it's a myth like the lockness monster and i think Josh Kennedy was also a mistake they choose but made it sound like he was important,will see how he goes with the Eagles.

Zaharakis was mentioned to have great skills and speed + has a strong character and agility in the inside footy paper,did they lie,his bottom age,maybe we should ask Kreuser he played with him. The player only played 8 games. I really wonder what happen if he has a big year next year if he plays again with Northern Knights and is a top 10 pick,we stuffed up.

Kangas is tall enough he is 193cm if that's correct in the Inside Footballer, but he is like some of those players who just become footballers that will take time. I think we have enough of those projects,maybe we should just go on talent.

I have no issue on Browne he was possibly the best still available but would have liked a Full forward for the future Tim Bongetti or a very quick midfielder Collard if we could get him fit or Zaharakis after reading about him.Petersen can play forward/back/wing just don't know how injured he is.

I have nothing agains't Armfield,looks a bit a character,hope he does well. I don't mind they took a risk,what's the worst he get's delisted,the best he does well just i hope we draft some talent left in the rookie draft but we stuffed up if Zaharakis rates high next year so too other clubs.

Whats the F Wrong with this site that i need to log in every 2 minutes when i edit or post

We drafted Austin last year and he is looking good after just one year. :thumbsu:

I don't understand why you wanted a tall KPP when clearly we didn't rate any of the KPP that were on offer at 36, 46 and 52. Our list needed in and under players with skill and legspeed more than a tall defender who made it to picks, 36, 46 and 52.

Yeah he really blitz it this year,was a rising star,funny he didn't play a game or did he play one of those training games with Hampson,lol.

Young was never on the list as a senior player. Big prize for guessing correctly that a mature-age rookie midfielder was not a long-term prospect. What that has to do with Browne and Armfield I don't know.

Sheesh, what do you expect with pick 46 in this draft? The kid sounds like he has plenty of upside, and worth a try with a pick that late.

You'd rather have Jetta than Hampson? Are you serious?

I have nothing against Browne,that where he was about picked 25-35 but will he get in the 22 in years time.I just think he would find it tough in the backline.

The other guy could be a good player,i don't know but a little surprise as we got Hadley already.

Hampson has done nothing more then Jetta but i like the way his built compare to some of the twig or overweight Ruckman duds of the past we recruited.

Regarding to Young was it was wasted rookie pick and only put there as the guy we are recruiting will be 22 next year and better be close to playing as i think it's wasted if he is playing Bullants Reserves.

To me we didn't take a risk with a poor draft with younger kids.

As I said, in circumstances where the talent pool is thin, going with the best available method is less useful than in years where the talent is deeper. I still dont understand how people can think our defensive stocks are so deep- Thornton (overrated), Jamison (proven little- I personally doubt he can make it), Saddington (wont be there after next year), Austin (talented kid, but hasnt done anything), Hartlett (better used as a forward, injury concerns), Waite (simply too much value as a forward to be wasted in the backline), Bower (again, talented, but proven little, looks out of his depth). Just because we have plenty doesnt mean they are all AFL standard. Out of that list, I'd say Austin on potential alone will be AFL standard, Waite is, but is better value as a forward and Setanta will be a star, but where? (and question marks over everyone else).

We recruited for best available and needs with Kreuzer and Browne. Couldnt be more happy with both of those picks- Browne in particular I'm thrilled about. But Armfield will take a lot of convincing.

It's not that I'm against Armfield, but it's more that I'm pro Gourdis and Arrowsmith.

Browne is a pretty good selection.

Gourdis is a gun and would have been nice at 46. I don't know a huge amount about Armfield, but I love Gourdis

Holly shit BR! :eek:
Could you elaborate on that comment?

Our picks look suss after Kreuser,i was wright about Ross Young to be delisted in 1 or 2 years.
Wow, you've really established your credentials as a talent-spotter there... very few would have dared to suggest that a mature-aged rookie wouldn't figure in our long-term plans :rolleyes:

The others,hard to see them get a spot in the backline when Joe Anderson would be the better player in a pocket but he isn't bad,Browne but Armfield has to impress me in the pre season he is already 21,so he will be 22 and yet to play AFL .
Great maths effort, but a little off. He is 20 now, and will be 21 for all of next season. So basically he is the same age as Murphy & Bower. Are you trying to suggest that "already" being 21 means he's too old? So you don't expect Murphy to improve from this point.. yeah.. ok... I mean, Armfied has had a whole 4 years of footy!! That's heaps.

With Joe Anderson's athleticism, it's very possible that he'll spend time in the midfield as a run-with player. And Browne has similar capabilities with his good disposal... so we have two tough, versatile back pockets, one who is a good chance of becoming a tagger. I wouldn't say that's excessive...

Yeah, because the 203cm Hampson running a 2.83s 20m sprint is a hack. I mean, he showed up at Princes Park during the off-season to do some training, but he's not committed at all. And that last point is ridiculous... of course you'll always have been able to do better in hindsight.

Okay, tell me some KPPs who are better prospects than Armfield who were available at 46.

Hahaha.

Kangars is 90% athlete and 10% footballer. We don't need another Clint Benjamin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Bongetti leading goalkicker a option as a rookie along with midfielder Jared Petrenko.

Please tell us what was suss about them???

Looking forward to this...are you sure you aren't Pafloyul's love child?

As I said, in circumstances where the talent pool is thin, going with the best available method is less useful than in years where the talent is deeper. I still dont understand how people can think our defensive stocks are so deep- Thornton (overrated), Jamison (proven little- I personally doubt he can make it), Saddington (wont be there after next year), Austin (talented kid, but hasnt done anything), Hartlett (better used as a forward, injury concerns), Waite (simply too much value as a forward to be wasted in the backline), Bower (again, talented, but proven little, looks out of his depth). Just because we have plenty doesnt mean they are all AFL standard. Out of that list, I'd say Austin on potential alone will be AFL standard, Waite is, but is better value as a forward and Setanta will be a star, but where? (and question marks over everyone else).

We recruited for best available and needs with Kreuzer and Browne. Couldnt be more happy with both of those picks- Browne in particular I'm thrilled about. But Armfield will take a lot of convincing.

I don't think any KPP taken after pick 36 was a better prospect than Austin.... and given the cost of developing a kid on your senior list it seems like a big gamble......

I agree that there are situations where you will pick on a needs basis, but generally for that argument to hold up the options need to be close together on your best available list.....seems like we would have really been stretching to pick a KPP over Browne or Armfield.

I don't think any KPP taken after pick 36 was a better prospect than Austin.... and given the cost of developing a kid on your senior list it seems like a big gamble......

I agree that there are situations where you will pick on a needs basis, but generally for that argument to hold up the options need to be close together on your best available list.....seems like we would have really been stretching to pick a KPP over Browne or Armfield.
Never said anyone after pick 36 would be better than Austin- clueless as to how you could gleam that nugget from my post.

And look at it in the opposite light- to pick someone on a best available basis you dont really need they would necessarily have to be a lot better than a player you do need. Picking a player only a little better would naturally be pointless, especially in a thin draft.

When a 195cm foward/back went just four picks later to Geelong, I dont see how he could be that much worse than Armfield.

Wow, you've really established your credentials as a talent-spotter there... very few would have dared to suggest that a mature-aged rookie wouldn't figure in our long-term plans :rolleyes:

Great maths effort, but a little off. He is 20 now, and will be 21 for all of next season. So basically he is the same age as Murphy & Bower. Are you trying to suggest that "already" being 21 means he's too old? So you don't expect Murphy to improve from this point.. yeah.. ok... I mean, Armfied has had a whole 4 years of footy!! That's heaps.

With Joe Anderson's athleticism, it's very possible that he'll spend time in the midfield as a run-with player. And Browne has similar capabilities with his good disposal... so we have two tough, versatile back pockets, one who is a good chance of becoming a tagger. I wouldn't say that's excessive...

Yeah, because the 203cm Hampson running a 2.83s 20m sprint is a hack. I mean, he showed up at Princes Park during the off-season to do some training, but he's not committed at all. And that last point is ridiculous... of course you'll always have been able to do better in hindsight.

Okay, tell me some KPPs who are better prospects than Armfield who were available at 46.

Hahaha.

Kangars is 90% athlete and 10% footballer. We don't need another Clint Benjamin.

Worththewaite yeah i'm waiting for him to be worth the waite,he needs to step up next year,all year,not some games.

I'm not for recruiting Kangars i know he is a athlete and not a footballer,we have Hampson,and others like him already that will take 3-4 years to get results if they are successful.

Browne is handy i guess as a small defender that we don't have that can play in the middle also.

Armfied has had a whole 4 years of footy of WAFL football,less tougher then VFL or SAFL these days,off course he will get better as a footballer.

How will he play in the midfield.I just find it hard to see him replacing one of these guys in the league side.I hope he makes it

Murphy,Scotland,Houilhan,Judd,Gibbs,Grigg,Hadlee,Stevens,Walker,Simpson,Carazzoo,Jackson or even Bentick and Wiggins.

I didn't say Hampson is a hack,you said it,all i said he and Austin have done nothing just yet,read it properly along with Grigg,but guess what they only been playing for 1 year. I said Grigg will make it i think and didn't say nothing about the other 2 not making it or making it.

Some KPPs who are worth a risk David Gourdis or Luke Sampey as a forward or Joseph Daye or
Harry Croft as defenders but Daye now too young to be rookie,Harry Croft 192cm and can play everywhere on the ground.

Please tell us what was suss about them???

Looking forward to this...are you sure you aren't Pafloyul's love child?

It means nothing but my opinion,i think there were other players,but who knows what the recruiters are looking at for example a small defender we need instead of the best kid left,a future full forward or whatever,like they said they tend to pick what we need instead of picking who is the best,their nothing wrong with that.
Stephen Browne was probably a good get at pick 36 as he was probably one of the few better ones not picked,we needed maybe a small defender who can push in the middle if Hadlee fails and Scotland will be close to 30 in a couple of years.

It means nothing but my opinion,i think there were other players,but who knows what the recruiters are looking at for example a small defender we need instead of the best kid left,a future full forward or whatever,like they said they tend to pick what we need instead of picking who is the best,their nothing wrong with that.
Stephen Browne was probably a good get at pick 36 as he was probably one of the few better ones not picked,we needed maybe a small defender who can push in the middle if Hadlee fails and Scotland will be close to 30 in a couple of years.

Hadley.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Browne was a great selection at #36, and the little I have seen and read about Armfield, sounds like we might have got a good one at #46 as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton 2007 AFL Draft - Official

Remove this Banner Ad

Back