Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Our priority needs to be keeping this years top pick and using it well in the draft..

If we land Houston with a future first that’s a good result, but if Port won’t budge on this years then they can keep him, hardly disastrous for us as we have an all aust calibre half back returning from a year out in Docherty, Zac Williams who can go back especially if Moir and SOS come good.. We bring in Haynes, and I would have a conversation with Dylan Grimes and see if he was interested in playing a role for us.. Getting an upgrade on Owies/Durdin/Motlop must be the priority, either by trade or in the draft.
Docherty is no longer a defender.
ZW has proven to be uncompetitive as a defender (needs to be more competitive overall & contest, wherever he plays, which has been sounded out as a forward for ‘25).
Grimes was cooked.

Docherty is no longer a defender.
ZW has proven to be uncompetitive as a defender (needs to be more competitive overall & contest, wherever he plays, which has been sounded out as a forward for ‘25).
Grimes was cooked.
That’s debatable - Doc may be better suited running straight lines from the back after his knee & I’ve never rated him as CB mid.
ZW did look good forward but if fit could certainly pinch hit down back.
We have plenty of depth for small defender/HB

This is a so called super draft, so players are likely cheaper and picks are worth a premium..

Don’t see Oliver being a Bowes type salary dump.. Melbourne would be stupid to give Oliver away for nothing in this draft…

Oliver and Smith would be worth a minimum of a top 12 pick each..

If we could pry SDK loose, we’d have to prioritise this.

The below may work:

Carlton > SDK
Geelong > Oliver
Melbourne > Pick 11

Then do a Cooney mega trade below:

Carlton > Houston
Port > Pick 15 (Geelong)
Dogs > Pick 12 (Suns)
Geelong > Smith & Pick 31 (Carlton)
Suns > F1 (Geelong) & F1 (Carlton)

Carlton’s Defence 2025

Newman - SDK - Weitering
Houston - McGovern - Saad

Then use the Kennedy, Owies, Young picks at the draft or combine to trade up… I’d also move on other players to make it fit cap wise, if needed…

How the **** is anyone seriously suggesting Shiel is a good option for us? The guy is cooked.

One of the biggest bullets this footy club has ever dodged.

That’s debatable - Doc may be better suited running straight lines from the back after his knee & I’ve never rated him as CB mid.
ZW did look good forward but if fit could certainly pinch hit down back.
We have plenty of depth for small defender/HB
Doc was playing further up the ground, whether that was due to deficiencies elsewhere or by design is up for debate. I dont mind him in the midfield playing a more defensive role, I feel when he & Pittonet (not advocating for him ahead of TDK) were in there we were less porous defensively.
That we're in a position to deploy players elsewhere (Doc, Williams & Kemp) & still have AFL quality players stepping in to these positions probably highlights how well we are stocked for attacking small-medium defenders.

I’ll repeat my general plan to rework trading between clubs.
All uncontracted players should be free to select the club of their choice, with compensation being provided in the form of draft points (all clubs would start the trade period with an allocation of draft points based on their ladder position - this number is converted into a draft order at the end of the trade period) based on the average of their previous and new contracts. The compensation would be removed from the club acquiring the player and awarded to the club the player came from.

It would just make life so much easier for everyone concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep, any system where the cost of ‘compensation’ is largely borne by the recruiter rather than the rest of the comp.

Yep, any system where the cost of ‘compensation’ is largely borne by the recruiter rather than the rest of the comp.

100%. It makes no sense that if a whole bunch of free agents are flipping clubs then clubs that have nothing to do with it suddenly have worse draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%. It makes no sense that if a whole bunch of free agents are flipping clubs then clubs that have nothing to do with it suddenly have worse draft picks.

The compensation piece should be thrown out the window immediately.

This is supposed to be run by adults, you know where a player is in a position to leave and his employer either makes an offer good enough for him to stay or they wish him well and send him on his way.

Sorta like what happens in the real world.

There's mechanisms that help stop turning the competition into the Premier league and then there's just stupid shit.

Perhaps all compo picks should only be given after the 1st round is done so that all teams get access to the very best kids without interference in that round at least, and the F-S & Academy picks do not actually remove any "available" talent from the open draft pool as they are classified as a different group, but the compo picks do eat up the best kids in the draft if they are given out in the first round, with the AFL using their usual secret herbs and spices routine to judge that......!!! :devil:

I’ll repeat my general plan to rework trading between clubs.
All uncontracted players should be free to select the club of their choice, with compensation being provided in the form of draft points (all clubs would start the trade period with an allocation of draft points based on their ladder position - this number is converted into a draft order at the end of the trade period) based on the average of their previous and new contracts. The compensation would be removed from the club acquiring the player and awarded to the club the player came from.

It would just make life so much easier for everyone concerned.

So simple, logical and fair….👍

The AFL would never go for it.

You'd imagine with Daniher retiring that Brisbane may ask the question of us re: Harry or Charlie ...
Sure, we'll start with Ashcroft and Lohmann. They got a better Ashcroft coming anyway...

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back