Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

100%. It makes no sense that if a whole bunch of free agents are flipping clubs then clubs that have nothing to do with it suddenly have worse draft picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Exhibit A - St Kilda getting pick 8 for Josh Battle's departure. We've just been bumped down a pick because an uncontracted player chose to play at a different club.

Hawthorn should lose the equivalent value for gaining Battle.

Exhibit A - St Kilda getting pick 8 for Josh Battle's departure. We've just been bumped down a pick because an uncontracted player chose to play at a different club.

Hawthorn should lose the equivalent value for gaining Battle.
Can someone remind me why a club gets rewarded when an uncontracted player leaves that club.

If that club can’t provide an environment to retain the player with a new contract then why tf should they get compensation?

Can someone remind me why a club gets rewarded when an uncontracted player leaves that club.

If that club can’t provide an environment to retain the player with a new contract then why tf should they get compensation?
I think compensation for losing players along with the salary cap, the soft cap and the draft all contribute to the evenness of the competition. You could argue that the multi-prong approach is overkill and the salary cap and draft should be sufficient, but it's so important to the health of the competition that all clubs are competitive every year that it's a risk to remove one of these levers.

I just think the compensation process is arbitrary and not fit for purpose. Free agents are inflationary and in the context of a salary cap, having a few players taking excessive salaries because they can come without any other costs means there is less money for the rest of the squad.

All uncontracted players should be able to leave for the club of their choice.
Compensation should be based on an average of their previous and new contracts. "Draft points" should be removed from the club gaining the player and awarded to the club they are coming from.

I don't follow other sports, do they have a similar compensation racket in NFL?
The AFL seems to be modelling our game on the american ways, to extend media interest.

Thoughts on Curtis Taylor, the ex Roo?
Only 24, 76 games for a struggling club.
Seemed to start his career well but has struggled with injury this year.

Haven't seen much of North games recently to know much about where he's at.

What the hell happened to Denver Grainger-Barras? Rated the best key backman in the 2020 draft - pick 6. Could leave Hawks for a bag of chips. I’ve done minimal reading about his time at the hawks. What I’ve gleaned is that hasn’t been fit enough and maybe isn’t suited to locking down on key forwards; he’s more of an interceptor. Would he be worth a punt on? Many of you here would have a far better idea about this kid than I would, can you enlighten me?

I remember when he was drafted hearing issues around his training standards. Could potentially still be an issue?

What the hell happened to Denver Grainger-Barras? Rated the best key backman in the 2020 draft - pick 6. Could leave Hawks for a bag of chips. I’ve done minimal reading about his time at the hawks. What I’ve gleaned is that hasn’t been fit enough and maybe isn’t suited to locking down on key forwards; he’s more of an interceptor. Would he be worth a punt on? Many of you here would have a far better idea about this kid than I would, can you enlighten me?
The Hawks trading tells the biggest story. Don't think he's up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a mate who knows North well -

"Some attributes, can mark and seemed to have been given license to kick into the corridor (which I hardly ever saw work) and I'd reference to good endurance but never in top distance covered even from the wing. Overall his best is ok, his average isn't great and his bad is terrible. "

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back