Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Austin et al. aren't going to move an inch in the early days of trade mania....

They must stand firm on #12 is to be used on a kid.... for now.

Likewise, Port will stand firm on the 2 firsts requirement.

Publicly, at least.

But I'm sure CFC (and Houston if we're really into him) are both on the same page as to how the strategy will play out...
Yes I am hoping that the poker faces aren't quite as stern as the public projection.

cheers for all replies - read Stamos link. Helpful

Looking to ease the pain if Collingwood get Houston.
Want reasons why it is no great loss if we miss out, especially to that mob.

So Carlton's brain trust feel it is a better move to spend Pick 12 on an untried kid rather than a 2 x AA in Houston?

Am I reading this correctly..?
To put it simply, yes.

Slightly deeper dive is, this years draft is stacked, next years draft is considerably weaker on top of that the points index is changing next year and the discount being reduced from 20% to 10%.

Not many clubs want future picks, apart from a couple in the west that have an eye on Warner.

The 2026 draft is likely to be the first with Tassie draft concessions.

Taking all this, as well as the need to use 2 first round picks every 4 years, with Cody Walker shaping as a likely top 5 selection in 2026, the lack of optimism in the 2025 draft and the bonus of bringing in youth in a strong draft which is very advantageous to our salary cap vs bringing in a very good half back flanker on above decent coin.
The Carlton's brains trust feels like it is vital to use a first round selection in this draft over trading it for a 2 x AA player.

If we can get a second first round pick this year, satisfy Port with a trade and maintain access to top level talent. Then we will.

So we're being too conservative and not doing enough to get Houston and the Pies are being risky by giving up draft picks to get Houston.

The media can GAGF!

The media won’t be content until we trade away another round 1 pick. It’s as if they are cheer leading us on.
The best part this time, they all want us to throw away multiple additional picks to go with our round 1 pick.

I’ll never forget Caroline Wilson’s comment on us getting the Campo twins earlier in the year “they don’t need to get both” was her cry in an angry almost vindictive tone.
FMD.

So we're being too conservative and not doing enough to get Houston and the Pies are being risky by giving up draft picks to get Houston.

The media can GAGF!

In fairness their list is older then ours, they traded away top picks last year and have already won a flag.

We are younger, have achieved nothing and took 1st round picks the last 2 years (even if they weren't high).

So we are in a slightly different position. The argument that we should be taking the risk has a fair bit of validity.

In fairness their list is older then ours, they traded away top picks last year and have already won a flag.

We are younger, have achieved nothing and took 1st round picks the last 2 years (even if they weren't high).

So we are in a slightly different position. The argument that we should be taking the risk has a fair bit of validity.
Yep, that's how I see it. There was another point that we already have the Campo twins coming in, so we are still getting young talent through the door, and Houston is a once only offer. We can go to the Draft again next year. Sure this might be a better talent pool of 'unprovens' but Austin can earn his money next year.

To put it simply, yes.

Slightly deeper dive is, this years draft is stacked, next years draft is considerably weaker on top of that the points index is changing next year and the discount being reduced from 20% to 10%.

Not many clubs want future picks, apart from a couple in the west that have an eye on Warner.

The 2026 draft is likely to be the first with Tassie draft concessions.

Taking all this, as well as the need to use 2 first round picks every 4 years, with Cody Walker shaping as a likely top 5 selection in 2026, the lack of optimism in the 2025 draft and the bonus of bringing in youth in a strong draft which is very advantageous to our salary cap vs bringing in a very good half back flanker on above decent coin.
The Carlton's brains trust feels like it is vital to use a first round selection in this draft over trading it for a 2 x AA player.

If we can get a second first round pick this year, satisfy Port with a trade and maintain access to top level talent. Then we will.

How many #12 picks have become AA players in the past 20 years? 2 or 3 maybe? Should be offered to secure Houston.

How many #12 picks have become AA players in the past 20 years? 2 or 3 maybe? Should be offered to secure Houston.
James Frawley (2006)

Cyril Rioli (2007)

Sam Docherty (2012)

Charlie Curnow (2015)

Zak Butters (2018)

Honourable mentions who haven't got the AA Blazer

Nathan Jones (2005)

Jy Simpkin (2016)

Darcy Fogarty (2017)

Kysaiah Pickett (2019)

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

And after a couple of bids, it's no longer pick 12

Pick 12 has a decent history. Pick 14 less good. Pretty awful over 20 years actually.

A.Monfires, G.Birchall, J.Sellar, J.Grimes, A.Cordy, L.Jetta, B.Smith, D,Smith, A.Corr, C.McCarthy, J.Lever, E.Hipwood, H.Perryman, M.Ling, J.Hately, M.Bergman, H.Chapman, C.Chesser, E.Hewett, J.Rodgers,

Would classify Birchall, Lever and B.Smith as really good players (though none are stars). Sellar, Grimes, Cordy, Jetta, McCarthey, Ling, Hately are busts. Monfries, D.Smith, Corr, Hipwood, Perryman, Bergman, Chapman (could elevate himself) solid players

Chesser, Hewett, Rodgers too early to tell (though could see Chesser being a bust)

So, looking at about a 20% chance of getting a really good player, 40% chance of getting a solid player and 40% chance of getting a bust based on historical averages.

I know looking at one pick number doesn't tell the whole story (better off looking at pick ranges) but it's interesting and the %'s came out roughly as I would have expected. Once you go out of the top 5-10 the hit rate declines dramatically.

James Frawley (2006)

Cyril Rioli (2007)

Sam Docherty (2012)

Charlie Curnow (2015)

Zak Butters (2018)

Honourable mentions who haven't got the AA Blazer

Nathan Jones (2005)

Jy Simpkin (2016)

Darcy Fogarty (2017)

Kysaiah Pickett (2019)

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for the clear response. So 5 in total. Get him while we are in the window coz in 4-5 years we will not be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 12 has a decent history. Pick 14 less good. Pretty awful over 20 years actually.

A.Monfires, G.Birchall, J.Sellar, J.Grimes, A.Cordy, L.Jetta, B.Smith, D,Smith, A.Corr, C.McCarthy, J.Lever, E.Hipwood, H.Perryman, M.Ling, J.Hately, M.Bergman, H.Chapman, C.Chesser, E.Hewett, J.Rodgers,

Would classify Birchall, Lever and B.Smith as really good players (though none are stars). Sellar, Grimes, Cordy, Jetta, McCarthey, Ling, Hately are busts. Monfries, D.Smith, Corr, Hipwood, Perryman, Bergman, Chapman (could elevate himself) solid players

Chesser, Hewett, Rodgers too early to tell (though could see Chesser being a bust)

So, looking at about a 20% chance of getting a really good player, 40% chance of getting a solid player and 40% chance of getting a bust based on historical averages.

I know looking at one pick number doesn't tell the whole story (better off looking at pick ranges) but it's interesting and the %'s came out roughly as I would have expected. Once you go out of the top 5-10 the hit rate declines dramatically.

The reality is it is most likely whoever we pick with our 1st pick won't ever be as good as Houston. They may play more games though even that is 50-50 (assuming Houston can give us at least 120).

Fine for Austin to stick to his convictions but he must nail the pick. No excuses.

Last edited:
The reality is it is most likely whoever we pick with our 1st pick won't ever be as good as Houston. They may play more games though even that is 50-50 (assuming Houston can give us at least 120).

Fine for Austin to stick to his convictions but he must nail the pick. No excuses.
TBH it’s absolutely crazy to play the percentages like he is. And let’s say he does get a gun? A minimum 2 years before he has the kind of impact that nets us a flag, unless he thinks there anyone in the draft as ready and as good as Naicos.

Given that we have the Campos, I just cannot justify not paying for a bonafide dual AA over an unknown. Not on any level.

I can feel a total FOMO Melt coming on, and if Austin sticks to his guns I dare say I won’t be the only one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back