Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What are you prepared to pay for Dan Houston?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Another point, you're actually relying on Voss to want to play the kid at pick 12 in 25. We've heard Moir will get game time next season and Lord and I can't see Voss dipping into the kid well much more than that next year (not his MO).

Having Elijh, Ollie, Cowan, Lord, Moir, Motlop, C.Durdin, Carrol all vying for games in the 22 (most will be in the 23 listed squad) and all under 50 games are just kids still. Plus 2 Campo boys with some indictating one may get a game next season.

Take the risk, get a decent mature player in (doesn't have to be Houston), be creative here list management on this one.

Trade week for AFL is so underwhelming ... imagine having to talk & conjure up content for trade radio !! lol
tired monday GIF by BrownSugarApp

Say we get #13 (fingers crossed), but don't get Houston for whatever reason (I don't think it's going to be so easy to find the extras for Port).
Swans have offered 19 & 22 to the Suns for 13.

Maybe something like
F1+F2 for 13
34 for * F2 (so we've upgraded F2)
13 for 19 + 22

Hit the draft with 12, 19, 22 and late picks for Campos.
The bolded is my concern too in making a move for Houston.
If we say that 12 and the rest of this year's picks are off the table, as has been stated, and that GC accepted our offer of F1st and F2nd for 13, then what do we have left to add to 13 for Dan? 13 alone isn't enough.

I mean, it wouldn't be terrible to be left with 12 and 13 to go to the draft with (especially with compromised drafts on the horizon), but it defeats the purpose of chasing it for the sole purpose of attaining Houston.

Say we get #13 (fingers crossed), but don't get Houston for whatever reason (I don't think it's going to be so easy to find the extras for Port).
Swans have offered 19 & 22 to the Suns for 13.

Maybe something like
F1+F2 for 13
34 for * F2 (so we've upgraded F2)
13 for 19 + 22

Hit the draft with 12, 19, 22 and late picks for Campos.
Who do you have in mind for 19 and 22?

I think the draft pool is starting to separate out a bit...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friendly reminder that we have two AA half-backs on the list already, as well as Zac Williams (who I'm shocked never got a nod at GWS).

Williams will not be played at half back anymore. He got completely exposed when the opposition got him isolated one-on-one and his body work in those contests was beyond poor. He looks far better up forward. Needs to get his body right and he could have a good year up forward for us.

Docherty probably will also play limited minutes at half back from here on out too. He’s preferred higher up the ground. Besides, his kicking is not lethal enough to take on the dangerous option. It’s neat without being spectacular to the point that the opposition have to plan for it.

Saad is a great half back but not at all damaging. Short chip kick sideways, or he swings onto his left regardless of whether it runs him into trouble and then dump kicks the ball forward. He’s not the kind of player that sets up attacking plays.

Newman is the best kick of the lot. Has the most kicking penetration of the above. But he also either chips the ball short or does not take on the risky option. He’s arguably the best actual defender of this lot.

Williams is 30/31 years old.
Docherty is 30/31 years old.
Saad is 30/31 years old.
Newman is 31/32 years old.

How much longer can we rely on these guys to play at a high level and how much improvement on ball movement can we expect from them when they’ve already done most of their development?

Reality is we need a good half back just as much as we need a quality KPD, pace through the midfield, and even a dynamic small forward. Just so happens that a quality half back has become available whereas a quality KPD has not (maybe next year). We can add Houston and still address other needs IMO. It’s reported we have interest in Phillips as KPD depth. I’d be surprised if we don’t try to get Konstanty as a late trade or even if he gets delisted as well as there doesn’t seem to be a heap of quality smalls available either. Get Houston. Go to the draft with a first round pick. Get the Campo boys. Look for a late pick for Phillips and/or Konstanty.

Williams will not be played at half back anymore. He got completely exposed when the opposition got him isolated one-on-one and his body work in those contests was beyond poor. He looks far better up forward. Needs to get his body right and he could have a good year up forward for us.

Docherty probably will also play limited minutes at half back from here on out too. He’s preferred higher up the ground. Besides, his kicking is not lethal enough to take on the dangerous option. It’s neat without being spectacular to the point that the opposition have to plan for it.

Saad is a great half back but not at all damaging. Short chip kick sideways, or he swings onto his left regardless of whether it runs him into trouble and then dump kicks the ball forward. He’s not the kind of player that sets up attacking plays.

Newman is the best kick of the lot. Has the most kicking penetration of the above. But he also either chips the ball short or does not take on the risky option. He’s arguably the best actual defender of this lot.

Saad is 30/31 years old.

How much longer can we rely on these guys to play at a high level and how much improvement on ball movement can we expect from them when they’ve already done most of their development?

Reality is we need a good half back just as much as we need a quality KPD, pace through the midfield, and even a dynamic small forward. Just so happens that a quality half back has become available whereas a quality KPD has not (maybe next year). We can add Houston and still address other needs IMO. It’s reported we have interest in Phillips as KPD depth. I’d be surprised if we don’t try to get Konstanty as a late trade or even if he gets delisted as well as there doesn’t seem to be a heap of quality smalls available either. Get Houston. Go to the draft with a first round pick. Get the Campo boys. Look for a late pick for Phillips and/or Konstanty.
How does a 28 year old that apparently costs us 2-3 top 30 draft picks help that list profile significantly? It doesn't, in fact it has the opposite effect.

Phillips and Konstanty are senior backups who do not help us, and both will likely be DFAs. There are much better options in the mix, and arguably on our 2025 list.

You're swirling around in ideas and avoiding actually checking your working. Stop, go watch those players.

I'm not even going to address the idea that you think all defenders need to be consistently good at 1v1 marking contests, or that laser passes are required out of defence instead of into the F50...

It's like you make every argument in a bubble independent of the next topic.

Last edited:
How does a 28 year old that costs us 2-3 draft picks help that list profile significantly? It doesn't.

Phillips and Konstanty are senior backups who do not help us, and both will likely be DFAs.

You're swirling around in ideas and avoiding actually checking your working. Stop.

It’s a public forum. My opinion is just as valid as yours so no I won’t stop and you don’t have the right to tell me to.

As for the 28 year old Houston who is a lethal kick of the footy improving our list profile.. he provides us an extra few years of quality football off half back while we are in a premiership window. He’s a player that the opposition actually have to plan for significantly unlike what we’ve currently got. This would help free up Saad’s game and make him more impactful as well. Houston is durable. A F1 and a bit extra is not too much to deal for a dual All-Australian with a ridiculously good kick that would improve our ball movement immensely.

Phillips and Konstanty are upgrades on what we have and probably can be grabbed as DFAs as you say. That’s smart business. Phillips is an upgrade on S. Durdin. Konstanty is an upgrade on C. Durdin, Fantasia. This is my opinion.. he’s also young so we are helping the list profile. Getting Houston does not significantly impact our ability to bring in quality youth. I don’t see how as you state I’m swirling around in ideas. I also bet more people agree with my opinion that yours. But regardless of who gets more likes, it’s not about that. It’s about an opinion forum where supporters can list their opinions freely without being told to stop. It’s also about us strengthening our list and staying in contention with other teams making list improvements. List your opinion that’s fine, but stay classy and don’t attack the poster. And if you feel the need to attack the poster, ignore them instead.

It’s a public forum. My opinion is just as valid as yours so no I won’t stop and you don’t have the right to tell me to.

As for the 28 year old Houston who is a lethal kick of the footy improving our list profile.. he provides us an extra few years of quality football off half back while we are in a premiership window. He’s a player that the opposition actually have to plan for significantly unlike what we’ve currently got. This would help free up Saad’s game and make him more impactful as well. Houston is durable. A F1 and a bit extra is not too much to deal for a dual All-Australian with a ridiculously good kick that would improve our ball movement immensely.

Phillips and Konstanty are upgrades on what we have and probably can be grabbed as DFAs as you say. That’s smart business. Phillips is an upgrade on S. Durdin. Konstanty is an upgrade on C. Durdin, Fantasia. This is my opinion.. he’s also young so we are helping the list profile. Getting Houston does not significantly impact our ability to bring in quality youth. I don’t see how as you state I’m swirling around in ideas. I also bet more people agree with my opinion that yours. But regardless of who gets more likes, it’s not about that. It’s about an opinion forum where supporters can list their opinions freely without being told to stop. It’s also about us strengthening our list and staying in contention with other teams making list improvements. List your opinion that’s fine, but stay classy and don’t attack the poster. And if you feel the need to attack the poster, ignore them instead.

It's all opinion. I can see the value in Houston, just reckon it's too much of a seller's market.

this is a fun fallacy. Your right to express your opinion is true and valid. The opinion itself is free game. We don't have the right to claim opinions are equal in their thoughtfulness, perception and accuracy. Just that we all have the right to express ours. Just as someone has the right not to agree.

Saad is 30/31 years old.

You've just listed 4 quality hbf capable of filling 2 spots, though Newman can partner Cowan as the pockets.
You've then got players like Boyd, Ollie & Kemp that if played back, should be options off a flank as well.
Meanwhile, we have 1 KPD & arguably 0 proven small forwards & no one with genuine pack in the midfield mix as it stands - perhaps I'm taking you too literally but I struggle to see how it's a comparable need, despite the quality available.
IMO part of the reason we've been left with such gaping holes elsewhere is that we've overinvested in flankers and missed on a few of our boom/bust draft selections or recruits traded in from elsewhere.

It's not "a F1 and a bit extra" though. Port are asking for two firsts with at least one being in this years draft. By accounts, we are at least asking Gold Coast for pick 13 for F1 and F2, so already this is not "a bit extra" that is significant in itself. Port will then want more than just pick 13.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back