Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

What is Austin going to do now?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Gulan has reported that essentially Bailey Smith's agent and Geelong have called the Dogs on their bluff of forcing him to the draft

Should the Dogs continue to hold firm, Smith’s management is confident he can get to the Cats through the national draft. That would leave the Bulldogs with nothing.

Maybe a 3-way trade, something like:

WC:
Gain: 12, 72, J Carroll, Baker
Lose: 3, 63, 68

Car:
Gain: 3, 20, 63, 68
Lose: 12, 14, 72, Kennedy, J Carroll

Rich:
Gain: 14, Kennedy
Lose: 20, Baker

We get 3 and retain a second first round pick, and a bit of a points upgrade (prob. enough to cover bids)
I like it but...20 isn't a first round pick...

There is only 18 clubs....if picks slide back then they all slide back and 20 still won't be a first round pick....

A bit picky I know...but...
On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very pleased to read that we have cooled on Dan Houston.

He’s a good footballer but I don’t think it addresses a pressing need, we’d give up too much draft capital to get him, and it’s not a great use of the salary cap.

I don’t buy the “multiple AA” argument. Port didn’t look any different without him.. Burgoyne slots into that position and it’s business as usual. Half back flankers grow on trees.

What I do have is a very high level of interest in an immediate impact 18 year old mid that could give us some serious outside pace from day 1. That’s exponentially more important to us than anything Houston can offer.

Pick 14 or a 29yo with a history of injuries?
draft pick please
Our time is now.
I’d even get crazy and go pick 12 and Carrol for Barass and swoop in and offer pick 14 and Kennedy. for Bailey smith
And with Sydney’s head of high performance coming over . I’d expect our injuries to improve drastically. Be a proper top 4 side then.

If we are getting pick 3, I don't want the kid that has the best immediate impact (ie Rowell), I want the best player career wise (ie Young, Jackson, Green, Anderson, etc)

I think that would be the go though easier said then done. And sometimes the player with the immediate impact has the best career too. Scheezel looking likely.

If we are getting pick 3, I don't want the kid that has the best immediate impact (ie Rowell), I want the best player career wise (ie Young, Jackson, Green, Anderson, etc)

I'd take the immediate impact superstar thank you.

Rowell collected 9 Brownlow votes in his first 5 games before ACL with averages of 17.4 disposals, 1.2 goals, 5.2 tackles, 3.8 clearances, 2.2 inside 50 and 2.2 rebound 50's.

Other recent "immediate impact" players include the 2024 Norm Smith Medallist Will Ashcroft.

As long as we get one who doesn't hurt his knee in the first few games, we will be fine.

I'd take the immediate impact superstar thank you.

Rowell collected 9 Brownlow votes in his first 5 games before ACL with averages of 17.4 disposals, 1.2 goals, 5.2 tackles, 3.8 clearances, 2.2 inside 50 and 2.2 rebound 50's.

Other recent "immediate impact" players include the 2024 Norm Smith Medallist Will Ashcroft.

As long as we get one who doesn't hurt his knee in the first few games, we will be fine.

But how has Rowerl progressed against his cohorts? Clubs don't look rate immediate impact as the number 1 factor, it's purely a bonus

Maybe a 3-way trade, something like:

WC:
Gain: 12, 72, J Carroll, Baker
Lose: 3, 63, 68

Car:
Gain: 3, 20, 63, 68
Lose: 12, 14, 72, Kennedy, J Carroll

Rich:
Gain: 14, Kennedy
Lose: 20, Baker

We get 3 and retain a second first round pick, and a bit of a points upgrade (prob. enough to cover bids)

M Kennedy to Richmond is the key if Carlton has any chance to trade for pick 3 IMO.

Makes sense for Kennedy and Richmond. He gets a longer deal and centre square minutes. Tigers can go back to playing Toranto as a mid / HF.

12, 14 and Baker to Eagles for 3.

3 plus Richmonds 51(ends up 41 on draft night) to the Blues

M Kennedy plus Hawks F3rd to Tigers.

Scott Gulan has reported that essentially Bailey Smith's agent and Geelong have called the Dogs on their bluff of forcing him to the draft

Gullan is a raging Cat’s supporter.

He’s far from “objective” and more like a cheer leader.

Take his views re Cat’s with a huge grain of salt.

M Kennedy to Richmond is the key if Carlton has any chance to trade for pick 3 IMO.

Makes sense for Kennedy and Richmond. He gets a longer deal and centre square minutes. Tigers can go back to playing Toranto as a mid / HF.

12, 14 and Baker to Eagles for 3.

3 plus Richmonds 51(ends up 41 on draft night) to the Blues

M Kennedy plus Hawks F3rd to Tigers.

Absolutely 0 chance Eagles get Baker 12, 14 for pick 3. Not going to happen.

Unlike other years I don't think it will be a matter of Eagles getting massive overs to part with 3. Nobody is in a position to pay that and the draft is more even then normal.

It will be more a matter of the Eagles feeling the draft is pretty even and they'd rather 2 picks then 1 and/or they want to split the pick to get a trade done.

We can debate all we like as supporters but only the clubs know how they rate these picks internally.

We will get peanuts for Kennedy if he goes so doubt it will impact the trade much.

Last edited:
Gullan is a raging Cat’s supporter.

He’s far from “objective” and more like a cheer leader.

Take his views re Cat’s with a huge grain of salt.

I have absolutely no doubt.

However, I also know that agents and clubs will give info to the journalists they know will present it in the way they want it to be presented.

I have no doubt that the info (Geelong / agent) have called the Dogs on their "we'll put him to the draft."

The thing that's missing for me is that the Dogs would send him to the draft to put his price on his head which Geelong have to match meaning every club and their dog would know what the offer is - if there's anything untoward, etc.

This is how everyone knew just how frontlosded Jack Martin's contract was a few years back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Carlton 2024 Trade Discussion

Back