Carlton 95 v Essendon 00 v Geelong 07

Remove this Banner Ad

And your a bloody moderater. :cool:
Collingwood was propably Geelongs Biggest threat to a premiership out of the sides remaining. And you wanna start a mine is bigger than your's debate.
Didn't Port beat you at home?

Wait till you play Port who have two quality rucks in their best 22 and the legspeed to exploit plodders like Bartel, Selwood, Ling and Corey on the G(gun players though). Port won't take players with an injury cloud over head into the GF if they make it. The pressure will be on Geelong to pick Egan and Steve Johnson who they need in their best 22 if they're to beat a full strength Port.

Who cares????? Who gives a flying f#$@. This is 2007. Geelong just made the 2007 grand final. I think Carlton finished 16th. Is that right? I don't think Essendon made the finals either. Its 2007 this year. It's 2007. You guys need to start worrying about 2008.

Can it be put to bed now?

This Geelong side is trash, no where near those sides.

You know what annoys me? When people judge a side based on ONE game.

Does Carlton of 1995 deserve to be judged on their poor performance in the Qualifying Final versus the 8th-paced Brisbane Bears? Of course not.

All three teams deserve to be judged on the peformance they have given over the ENTIRE season and all are exceptional teams with the 2000 side (24-1, 160% with three finals wins by 125, 45 and 60) being number one.

The comparisons can be well & truly put to bed:

1995 1st P.F. Carlton 18.10.118 def North Melb 8.8.56
2000 1st P.F. Essendon 18.17.125 def Carlton 12.8.80

Both teams comfortably accounted for strong opposition (North went on to win the '96GF & Carlton had won 13 games in a row during 2000), whereas Geelong fell over the line against a game, but much less talented, Collingwood.

Had to laugh at Bruce's comments last night that the comparison between Geelong 07 and Essendon 00 continues in that the prelim final was their toughest match of the year. Yeah, 45 points was real tough.

Bruce is an idiot.

Collingwood have a pretty fit young side that can score quickly. Add to that the Cats missed a week and were always going to be rusty. (the week off is as much a blessing as a curse).

Cats always looked in control and never looked like losing it. They did enough to be ready for next week i reckon.

oh. and

Essendon 00 > Carlton 95 > Geelong 07
nevermind the finals, the H&A dominance is what sets you apart.
not sure where id put Lions 02-03. probably ahead of essendon...maybe not. close call though.
Now there is a mixed up response.:confused:
H&A dominance is what sets you apart you say.
Port adelaide were minor premiers in 02-03 (3 and a half more wins than the Lions in 03).
Brisbane was a great finals team, blowing your theory out the window (Brisbane have never won a minor premiership)
Oh and by the way IMHO Essendon 2000 was the best single year team (and that's from a Blues supporter)

Trash? Position wise, we have you covered in most areas of the ground - especially in midfield and in defense.

midfield - arguable

defence - no way.

Hardwick, Fletcher, Wellman, Wallis

Try again

I'll give you the fair comparison.

If Geelong win next week;

Geelong 2007's # of premierships = Essendon 2000's # of premierships = Carlton 1995's # of premierships.

Geelong fans deserve this one, no group deserves to go without success for so long. :thumbsdown:

Geelong by 10 goals next week. Tonight was the real Grand Final.

No i am pretty sure the real GF is next week, cause if the Cats lose that than the flag is not their's.

Port will take some beating, will be brimming with confidence having won the last encounter between the teams and have been there and done that before over a more fancied oponent.

Thats of course if they make the GF which they should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll give you the fair comparison.

If Geelong win next week;

Geelong 2007's # of premierships = Essendon 2000's # of premierships = Carlton 1995's # of premierships.

Geelong fans deserve this one, no group deserves to go without success for so long. :thumbsdown:
If they're shit, then sure they do.

What ever way one debates it the Geelong 2007 side would be a distant 3rd. This year it's been Geelong vs a pile of young, developing sides that are probably a year short or really wouldn't be quite good enough most years. By contrast, the year Carlton won the 6th side won 14 games (North). In the GF, barring taking their foot off the accelerator late in the game, when they were near 90 points in front, the record margin, even a 100 point victory. This against a Geelong side probably more skilfull than the current one.

This could actually be a year like 1993 when the young Bombers took the flag. If Port win today they are a massive chance. Despite rebuilding, they still have a number of premiership players in their side. If the Roos win though then Geelong's home easily.

Geelong have a plethora of stars but not too many superstars apart from GAblett.

Essendon 00 had at least 2 superstars in Lloyd and Hird.

This is a bit of silly thread, personally when its all said and done and we look back in a couple of years time I hope that Geelong never gets compared to either of these two teams.

Both were one year wonders who had an unbelievable run with injuries and more imporantly had all their players hit the best form in the same year. Their were nothing terribly exceptional about them, just good teams which had an awful lot of luck. Brisbane of 2001-04, the West Australian state team of 1991-1994, North Melbourne of the mid 90's and Hawthorn of the 80's were the great teams of the past 20 years, neither of these two. I would probably even rate Adelaide of the late 90's and Geelong of 89 as better teams.

As for which was the better of the two I would probably say Carlton 95 as they atleast had some decent teams to play, West Coast, North Melbourne and Geelong. 2000 was a very average year of football, North Melbournes run had ended and Brisbanes had yet to begin. Melbourne made the grand final for crying out loud and complete hacks such as Wallis, Heffernan, Caracela and Blumfield were lauded as stars and look how the latter three went after that.

The so called critics on here amaze me sometimes. Geelong thrash a team - people say it doesn't count because they didn't experience Finals pressure. So when they go into a game and experience all that for four quarters and lead most of the night, they are then accused of not being that good, they should have thrashed Collingwood, etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton 95 v Essendon 00 v Geelong 07

Remove this Banner Ad

Back