Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Found this in an article from earlier in the year, here are the names of our eligible NGA players this year. As far as i can tell, none of them played in either of the Knights finals losses.

CARLTON
Takudza Chitima
Isaac Alisheikh
Kanoa Rotumah-McGrath
Luke Talalla
Sean Culhane
Julian Minutolo
Zane Souleiman
Jaison Nguyen

Loving these F/S updates. Any idea where approximately Ben Campo ranks amongst the entire 2024 draft crop? Top 10?

Its always really hard to tell a year out and there aren't usually draft rankings yet.

Before the futures game he wouldn't have been in that top echelon. Guys like Draper, Ashcroft and O'Sullivan dominated under 18 champs as bottom agers while Ben wasn't even picked for his state.

I suspect that game though has moved him well up the pecking order and he would be in the conversation for top 10 now. Obviously will all depend how next year plays out.

Its always really hard to tell a year out and there aren't usually draft rankings yet.

Before the futures game he wouldn't have been in that top echelon. Guys like Draper, Ashcroft and O'Sullivan dominated under 18 champs as bottom agers while Ben wasn't even picked for his state.

I suspect that game though has moved him well up the pecking order and he would be in the conversation for top 10 now. Obviously will all depend how next year plays out.
Given the draft pick shenanigans of late (all sanctioned by the AFL) i hope the club is in the boys' ears telling them to have an "average" year next and focus on avoiding injury as you are getting drafted regardless. Hence they slide down the draft rankings...

What's the over/under on the AFL scrapping FS concessions as soon as we stand to benefit?
Clubs were told in a memo from the League's football boss Laura Kane this week that they would be working with clubs to find further improvements in a range of areas, including the operations of the bidding system for father-sons and Northern Academy players

It’s pretty bloody easy, first kid gets a 20% discount, second kid gets a 10% discount, 3rd kid gets a 5% discount, any further and you pay full quota wherever they’re taken.
Don’t discriminate between f/s and northern academies, fk off the NGA bullshit and have quotas in the u18 comps for kids from indigenous or immigrant backgrounds to give them a chance in the private school bubble that is the U18s in Vic

I completely get why the academies are needed right now in the northern markets but Gold Coast with 4 is absolutely taking the piss

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

DRAFT MECHANISMS UNDER REVIEW​

…Clubs were told in a memo from the League's football boss Laura Kane this week that they would be working with clubs to find further improvements in a range of areas, including the operations of the bidding system for father-sons and Northern Academy players…

…Clubs were told in a memo from the League's football boss Laura Kane this week that they would be working with clubs to find further improvements in a range of areas, including the operations of the bidding system for father-sons and Northern Academy players…

Lol typical....just when we have a couple of father sons finally coming up.

Add this to the list
  • Matthew Lloyd father son, rules changed to at least 50 games to be eligible (dad played 35 from memory)
  • Priority pick criteria just before the 'super draft' of 2006 changed from less than 5 wins over 2 consecutive years (Gibbs + Selwood)
  • No free agent compo for Waite
  • Assistance request after a 2 win season in 2018 determined as priority access to 2 state league players
  • Bidding system changes after the clubs have taken the piss for years on these

It’s pretty bloody easy, first kid gets a 20% discount, second kid gets a 10% discount, 3rd kid gets a 5% discount, any further and you pay full quota wherever they’re taken.
Don’t discriminate between f/s and northern academies, fk off the NGA bullshit and have quotas in the u18 comps for kids from indigenous or immigrant backgrounds to give them a chance in the private school bubble that is the U18s in Vic

I completely get why the academies are needed right now in the northern markets but Gold Coast with 4 is absolutely taking the piss

How does the volume of player/s in one year equate to taking the p155? They still needed to trade/deal to obtain the required points.

In GCFC’s case they don’t have access to F/S’s and they’re in a foreign (but at least a growing) market. Hopefully stops the pillaging of their players south with the locals selected.

The first thing they should have done is remove the 25% discount for academy and father sons

The first thing they should have done is remove the 25% discount for academy and father sons

They'll do that for next year's draft no doubt. When we are set to benefit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does the volume of player/s in one year equate to taking the p155? They still needed to trade/deal to obtain the required points.

In GCFC’s case they don’t have access to F/S’s and they’re in a foreign (but at least a growing) market. Hopefully stops the pillaging of their players south with the locals selected.

It’s taking the piss and shouldn’t be allowed to happen, they are getting a contender for pick 1, another top 6, another top 12 and another that would go late first/early second.

All for a bunch of second and 3rd rounders in the one draft

It’s laughable, just too big a leg up

Northern academies are needed, I get it….but there needs to be something like I put above

They won’t be able to do it next year. It’ll be further down the track as teams need time to get their future drafts in order to accomodate

I mean, if they can randomly give a second year of concessions, they can do anything they like. The AFLW is an experiment to the AFL.

No mention of reviewing free agency and the blatant rorts they are allowing. Teams being encouraged to offer 2 year deals at a higher price and then “smooth” the contract out later to reflect the actual contract offer is ridiculous and we have people in the media encouraging it.

The AFL should care that they are viewed as flagrantly corrupt. They don’t, but they should.

I’m hoping any potential elimination of father / son discount would be further down the road so that clubs can prepare. But as we all know, the AFL really don’t care about right and wrong or about how they are viewed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back