Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving these F/S updates. Any idea where approximately Ben Campo ranks amongst the entire 2024 draft crop? Top 10?
From what I've seen and read of the boys, Lucas was rated in the 10-20 mark last year, while Ben was slated to go in the 30s.

This year they've reversed that and Ben could go anywhere from 5-15, while Lucas is 25+. If neither of them get picked to play state football next year, drop Ben back down to the 25s and Lucas to the 40s. But there is small chance of that really.

It’s pretty bloody easy, first kid gets a 20% discount, second kid gets a 10% discount, 3rd kid gets a 5% discount, any further and you pay full quota wherever they’re taken.
Don’t discriminate between f/s and northern academies, fk off the NGA bullshit and have quotas in the u18 comps for kids from indigenous or immigrant backgrounds to give them a chance in the private school bubble that is the U18s in Vic

I completely get why the academies are needed right now in the northern markets but Gold Coast with 4 is absolutely taking the piss

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I prefer to use the games the father played as the scope for the discount. 100 games - 5%, 200 games - 10%, 300 games - 20%.

So, Scott's 233 games for us would garner us a 10% discount for each of the boys.

I prefer to use the games the father played as the scope for the discount. 100 games - 5%, 200 games - 10%, 300 games - 20%.

So, Scott's 233 games for us would garner us a 10% discount for each of the boys.

That’s a great idea but I would go larger discounts at 100 games (say 40%) and up from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clubs were told in a memo from the League's football boss Laura Kane this week that they would be working with clubs to find further improvements in a range of areas, including the operations of the bidding system for father-sons and Northern Academy players

Is that code for don’t worry we’re aware that Carlton have a plethora of father/sons coming up in the next few years?

:p

I don't think they would get rid of the discount for next year considering clubs are making decisions now on picks next year. Surely any changes come in for the 2025 draft.
That would be sensible.

So surely the AFL won't do that...

Apparently 2024 afl academy has been selected. Haven't seen the full list yet but will provide a good indication on where Ben and Lucas sit in the pecking order.

Apparently 2024 afl academy has been selected. Haven't seen the full list yet but will provide a good indication on where Ben and Lucas sit in the pecking order.

Yep, can’t find full squad via normal searches, but only two WA boys. Will be surprised if both lads don’t make the cut.

Not the AFL Academy, but both Campo boys made the SANFL Academy for 2024. 32 players in total.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL has today announced the 2024 AFL National Academy squads.

The 2024 AFL National Academy Boys squad also includes father-son prospects Ben and Lucas Camporeale
Twin brothers Ben and Lucas Camporeale are eligible to join Carlton where their father Scott played 233 matches.

Ben was best afield in 2023 AFL Futures game which was played on the MCG as a curtain-raiser to the 2023 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

Great that both Ben & Lucas made it. You would think Ben was automatic after his futures game but Lucas would have been borderline.

Great to see both Ben and Lucas make it.

I wondered how much the AFL Academy correlates to their strength as a draft prospect. I did a quick comparison between:
-->Every player named as a 2023 Squad Member
-->Cal Twomey's November 2023 Ranking
-->ESPN Mock Draft November 2023

Highlights/2023 learnings:
1) No Academy = No Top 10:
All the top 10 ranked players were part of the academy. If Ben and Lucas weren't named in the Academy, it would look very unlikely that either of them bolt into the top 10 next year.

2) Academy = (almost) guaranteed Top 45 pick
About two thirds of the academy are ranked in Twomey's Top 30 ... and ESPN projects that all but 4 of the Academy players will be taken in the top 45ish picks. (TLDR: 19 out of 29 are projected top 30...and 25 out of 29 are projected top 45).

3) Good signs for Ben and Lucas
Early days, but it looks like the vast majority of Academy players become a first or second round draft pick...and it's likely that more than half of them will be first round picks. Bodes well for this year's class...including Ben and Lucas.

2023 Squad MemberCal Twomey's Nov Top 30ESPN Mock Draft November
Harley Reid11
Jed Walter24
Zand Duursma33
Colby McKercher42
Nick Watson55
Daniel Curtin68
Ryley Sanders76
Nate Caddy810
Ethan read97
Connor O'Sullivan1011
Jake Rogers1320
Darcy Wilson1512
Koltyn Thostrup1614
Riley Hardeman1719
Archie Roberts2329
William Green2522
Mitchell Edwards2644
George Stevens3043
Lachlan CaborUnrankedUnranked
Jack CallinanUnrankedMentioned at 45
Caiden ClearyUnranked32
Jack DeleanUnrankedMentioned at 42
William LorenzUnrankedUnranked
Kane McAuliffeUnrankedUnranked
William PattonUnrankedMentioned at 36
Nathan PhilactidesUnrankedMentioned at 42
Cooper SimpsonUnranked38
Orlando TurnerUnrankedUnranked
Ahston MoirUnranked28

Last edited:
Great that both Ben & Lucas made it. You would think Ben was automatic after his futures game but Lucas would have been borderline.
They just didn't want to police which of the twin was coming to training/ games :p

It's interesting that despite playing state under 18s and winning the mvp, sid draper's year at sanfl under 18 level was statistically inferior to ben camporeales. I know stats aren't everything but there is a big disparity and they play a similar role. Sid is rated a top 5 pick next year.

For example, Sid only had 25+ touches 4 times all season. Ben did that his last 8 games in a row.

Also, still find it odd that neither brother got to play state under 18s as a bottom aged player. SA team this year was pretty weak.

It's interesting that despite playing state under 18s and winning the mvp, sid draper's year at sanfl under 18 level was statistically inferior to ben camporeales. I know stats aren't everything but there is a big disparity and they play a similar role. Sid is rated a top 5 pick next year.

For example, Sid only had 25+ touches 4 times all season. Ben did that his last 8 games in a row.

Also, still find it odd that neither brother got to play state under 18s as a bottom aged player. SA team this year was pretty weak.

Looking at their stats further it appears both Camporeale's finished the year much better then they started. Might explain why no state under 18s and lack of hype through the season.

First 5 games (averages)
Ben - 19 touches (12k, 7hb), 1 clr, 3 I50s, 3 tk
Lucas - 19 touches (12k, 7hb), 2 I50s

Last 8 games (averages)
Ben - 29 touches (15k, 14hb), 6 clr, 5 I50s, 4 tk
Lucas - 27 touches (15k, 12 hb), 4 I50s

It appears Ben started the year playing outside, probably on a wing, then switched to playing mainly onball.

Lucas probably played on a wing all year but got a bit more midfield time as the year progressed.

Looking at their stats further it appears both Camporeale's finished the year much better then they started. Might explain why no state under 18s and lack of hype through the season.

First 5 games (averages)
Ben - 19 touches (12k, 7hb), 1 clr, 3 I50s, 3 tk
Lucas - 19 touches (12k, 7hb), 2 I50s

Last 8 games (averages)
Ben - 29 touches (15k, 14hb), 6 clr, 5 I50s, 4 tk
Lucas - 27 touches (15k, 12 hb), 4 I50s

It appears Ben started the year playing outside, probably on a wing, then switched to playing mainly onball.

Lucas probably played on a wing all year but got a bit more midfield time as the year progressed.
IIRC, Lucas was playing off HB initially, Ben off the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back