Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone end up making a highlights package of Cody’s game vs SA? I watched it live but wouldn’t mind rewatching
Tbh best thing would probably just be to watch the last quarter. The rest of the game he was behind the ball or only having brief stints on ball. The last quarter they stuck him in the guts for the whole last quarter where he just about single handedly won them the game. He was ridiculous.

Tbh best thing would probably just be to watch the last quarter. The rest of the game he was behind the ball or only having brief stints on ball. The last quarter they stuck him in the guts for the whole last quarter where he just about single handedly won them the game. He was ridiculous.
Could be making his debut for the Bendigo Pioneers under 18’s this weekend as a bottom,bottom age player.

I think you'll find his lobbed passes are a technical flaw rather than decision making. He far too often kicks under the tip of the ball rather than behind it which cause his kicks to go a lot higher and lack accuracy. I've said before, his ball drop under pressure and on the run is very suspect. Similar to Dow when he came to the club. Luckily for us we showed with Dow it is possible to improve that quite a bit and the rest of his game is very very good in terms of ball winning, defensive running, pressure around the ball etc.

View attachment 2050573
View attachment 2050579
Looks like he is really leaning back. I am hoping he pulls the old Ted Lasso trick "Oh I forgot I am a left footer"

Looks like he is really leaning back. I am hoping he pulls the old Ted Lasso trick "Oh I forgot I am a left footer"
The good news is he still generally uses it pretty well because he seems to understand his weakness pretty well. Almost never takes a 'risky' option. Just short safe chips to better users or long down the line to a contest where the lack of accuracy and penetration doesn't matter as much.

I think he'd be able to make a fair bit of progress on his kicking in a short time. It's not like Tsatas where he kicks the ball from miles out in front of his body, more just a ball drop and slight body adjustments issue.

If he gets that right he'll be a very very good defensive mid imo. Runs all day and tackles hard.

Twomey clearly doesn't rate the Camporeale boys, neither in his top 30.

I take it we're not getting the next Nick/Josh Daicos combo...?

Nice hat...

Looks like what Cook said about investing a few hundred grand in pathways is happening:

THE CARLTON Football Club has officially partnered with the Yarra Junior Football League (YJFL) and the Northern Football Netball League (NFNL) to strengthen the Club’s ties through the northern corridor of Melbourne.

Ben seems to be sliding down. Good for us. Not due to anything poor with him. Just more sexy types elevating themselves. Unless he blitzes the draft camp or plays seniors for glenelg I dont see how he elevates himself. Form in SA under 18s doesnt seem to count for much. Looking more likely we get a pick in before him which would be an unreal outcome.

Ben seems to be sliding down. Good for us. Not due to anything poor with him. Just more sexy types elevating themselves. Unless he blitzes the draft camp or plays seniors for glenelg I dont see how he elevates himself. Form in SA under 18s doesnt seem to count for much. Looking more likely we get a pick in before him which would be an unreal outcome.
Bens kicking is what's poor with him, he could have 100 touches a game in SA 18s, it's still going to be his major knock until he fixes it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice hat...

Looks like what Cook said about investing a few hundred grand in pathways is happening:

We really need to get a partnership with Parade College and Northern Knights to ensure that players aren’t being unfairly overlooked.

It still surprises me that in a zone that has such a diverse demographic that not only haven’t we had any players but there’s barely been any players eligible.

The talk for a little while was that we, along with Essendon weren't investing in the zones to the same degree as some other clubs, it seems that both are now taking corrective action in this space.
Don't care about the bombers but hopefully in time it rewards our club.

How do the Camporeale's make us better, beyond future proofing against retirements of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy. They do not fill our most glaring list needs of a burst mid and KPD. We should recruit them at a discount but judge our list management on filling our pressing list requirements, while we are in the window. Nick Austin, you are centre stage and in the spot light-time to deliver

We really need to get a partnership with Parade College and Northern Knights to ensure that players aren’t being unfairly overlooked.

It still surprises me that in a zone that has such a diverse demographic that not only haven’t we had any players but there’s barely been any players eligible.
Weren't Northern Knights touted as "the worst run junior side" on here recently? And if so, is it true?

I have no idea but I remember being concerned about this when I read that.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice hat...

Frightening to think the NGAs have been a thing for 10+ years but only just doing this now

I’ve never understood why our area in the north of Melbourne has produced 2 bits of bugger all, it’s as multicultural as you will find anywhere in Australia.

With Parade College stepping up to have its own football academy talented players no longer have to move suburbs to get into elite junior football programs at high school.

I would even spend money as a club to get disadvantaged yet very talented kids (academically and athletically) into Parade College on scholarships

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can anyone throw up the sun article on the mixture of cripps and walsh draftee article? 🤝
Article on Cody Walker:

He used to sit in the grandstands alongside Carlton great Anthony Koutoufides, some of his fondest childhood memories involved kicking a footy around Princes Park and he gets text messages from modern day Blues champions Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh.

Cody Walker is navy blue through and through — and the Carlton father-son prospect is already shaping as one of the hottest players in the 2026 AFL Draft pool.

Some notes:
  • 4th highest rated player. Averaged 28 disposals, 7 clearances, 6.7 score involvements and 140 ranking points
  • Won VIC Country's MVP award

Weren't Northern Knights touted as "the worst run junior side" on here recently? And if so, is it true?

I have no idea but I remember being concerned about this when I read that.

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last two years the onfield performance has improved a lot, before that, they were very bad for a long time, with people often mentioning there were no good football schools in the zone, this isn’t the case anymore.

How do the Camporeale's make us better, beyond future proofing against retirements of Cripps, Hewett, Kennedy. They do not fill our most glaring list needs of a burst mid and KPD. We should recruit them at a discount but judge our list management on filling our pressing list requirements, while we are in the window. Nick Austin, you are centre stage and in the spot light-time to deliver
I am a bit concerned with this. Just because of who their Dad was, doesn't necessarily mean we should be selecting both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back