News Carlton considering Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish I was allowed to actuallly start a thread ?
Whats up with that ?

Anyway, while we are scraping the bottom of the barrell
for somewhat useful 30+ Full Forwards, has Matthew Lloyd
(Son of a Blue) been considered ???? Yeah I know he
retired, but he had one more left in him.....

Johnson with a long searching kick out and finds his target in Buckley on the Half back flank; he goes for a run and passes it short to Mclean on the wing who goes bang deep inside the forward 50 and ROBERTSON WILL FLY!

Carlton demons much?

1 year deal i'm all for. Could work out well for us and for Robbo.

Most pleasing aspect of that article was reading Warnock and Jamo are able to have full pre seasons. And that Waite is well on the way to recovering. :thumbsu:

If we do get Robbo............it will be very interesting to see how well he gets along with McLean......

The way I see it, is that he's a major upgrade on Simon Wiggins.

Would prefer to have Robbo in our forwardline than Wiggins who is a very average kick. Wiggins might have been out the door this year anyway had Bradshaw been lured to the club. In essence, we're not losing anything imo in making this move.

Would also prefer Robbo to a slow and lumbering Cloke.

Peter Bosustow no.2!!

Both around the 6 foot mark, both did freaky thing, especially screamers, oh I can still see the Buzz against Geelong in the goal square at Princes Park stand on their heads (ok back on the topic, sorry).

Seriously, I think most of the apprehension here is that people are looking to replace Fev. I am sure the MC is not looking at that at all, IMO they will use 2 KP players Hendo and Kruez or Waitey and will want Robbo as that X Factor who can take a spekkie, kick a freak goal etc.

IMO you need a team of stable players who will do there job week in week out, all we need now are a couple of genuine match winners, Judd is one, Waite another (he will take time next year), I think Kruez will develop into another and hopefully Hendo. Hence, I reckon the MC is considering this with Robertson. He will give that extra bit of unpredicatbility, and also some experience to an inexperienced forward line.

p.s.
He also loved Carlton as a kid!!

I wish I was allowed to actuallly start a thread ?
Whats up with that ?

Anyway, while we are scraping the bottom of the barrell
for somewhat useful 30+ Full Forwards, has Matthew Lloyd
(Son of a Blue) been considered ???? Yeah I know he
retired, but he had one more left in him.....

I rather take Lloyd then Robertson and i hate Essendon with a passion more then any club.

It takes a couple of weeks to start a thread or several posts so go to every clubs on big footy and other discussion and leave your mark.This way then you might be able to start a thread quicker as long as you don't piss the opposition teams get carded already lol.

One of the most pleasing things out of that article was seeing Walker mentioned as a forward option, I hope he's given a good run there.

I don't think Russ is a good fit for our club, not the sort of personality that will fit in at a new club for a start. Has also had work ethic problems for a few seasons now, and we don't have enough time to get the Melbourne out of him. Pass, and keep developing our young guys.

I can't see the risk in getting Robertson. If he can provide us with a few goals then that's great. You know that he will be out to prove himself. If he doesn't work out then we've lost nothing apart from a minimum wage.

Plus, he can sing songs at club functions.

Smacks of Carlton MC panicking a bit for forwards for mine. Dees def need a foil for their young players to develop and they gave Robertson up..no two ways about it.

Cant chase and can't tackle, and despite being able to kick 20-30 goals, I think his direct opponent will be able to run off and set up 15-20 in return! Net effect is close to zero.

If everyone was available at the start of next season, then the most likely setup would be Waite (FF) and Henderson (CHF). Krueze/Warnock resting fwd in a pocket to help out with long high balls. Cloke (FF) and Setanta (CHF) to provide backup cover. Cloke not the best but would def be more suited out of FF now Fev's gone. Walker would be playing Robertson's role and we would have Betts/Yarran/Russell as other small fwds.

The backline can probably now cope given our needs up fwd.

So thinking Robertson can only mean Waite wont be rdy and they wont use Cloke/Setanta/Krueze in the meantime until Waite is rdy. It also shows a lack of faith in using Walker/Austin as fwd options.

l am not quite sure what exactly some people on here expect to pick up in the Pre-season draft, as Robertson clearly will take some pressure off the younger guys next year, e.g Henderson and Kruezer who some people on here seem to think he is just going to walk into a role that he hardly even played even at Under 18 level.

Robertson is capable of playing 15-20 games next year and kicking 30-40 goals which is alot better than other alteratives on our list & other options in the pre-season draft, e.g Simon Buckley another midfielder who will probably not even get a game, if l remember correctly Robertson kicked 5 against us late last year, short term option is probably better than very few options at this stage.

Carlton clearly know the attack is very thin in terms of experienced options for next year hence the desperation to obtain Bradshaw and now possibly Robertson.

Henderson has been in the system longer than Watts and should be ready to go for next year.

I'd rather play Yarran out of the square like Mark Williams than pick Robertson to be a foil for our forwards. Robertson is an awful stop gap solution after Bradshaw decided to become a Swan. Rabbles and wooden spoon sides just don't let good players go for free if they're any good.

Pass.

Agree TG.

I think people will be surprised with Henderson.

He has been a good enough size from his first game in 2008. Much bigger (in the body) than Watts, Kreuzer (in his first year), Kennedy in his first (and possibly still now), Roughead etc.

The kid is a solid unit. Some minor issues with his kicking, but he is a one grab mark, good below hos knees and presents well. He will be the focal point of our forward structure next year and is capable of doing it.

For all of you so against this...I bet it will take one game where Kreuze/Henderson/Setanta/Cloke struggle together for you to be in here whinging about our failure to add a bit of experience in the off season.

The fact is he will cost us nothing so whats the problem? He adds experiences and is an extra body down forward. If that allows us to take some pressure off Kreuze and Henderson (even a little bit), I'm happy enough.

He might be absolutely shit but, for those playing at home, he will have cost us nothing but a gamble.

More importantly, it only takes an injury to 2 of the above and we have nothing in reserve...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne got rid of him because he does not do the team thing refuses to follow the team plan, plays for himself.

This info I got from a Melbourne coaching staff member early this year.

So while would we pick him up ? I believe that is one of the reasons we got rid of Fev,

We are becoming a joke with some decisions lately and are looking like a rabble. Have complete panic stations set in after trading Fevola ? The Club is panicking in trying to "replace" him !

We are becoming a joke with some decisions lately and are looking like a rabble. Have complete panic stations set in after trading Fevola ? The Club is panicking in trying to "replace" him !

What panic? We would have chased Bradshaw and possibly Robertson even if we still had Fevola... I can't see how the club has panicked at all, in fact I believe they have done a great job, especially the Fevola deal that gave us a 10 year plus player plus a reasonable pick.

For all of you so against this...I bet it will take one game where Kreuze/Henderson/Setanta/Cloke struggle together for you to be in here whinging about our failure to add a bit of experience in the off season.

The fact is he will cost us nothing so whats the problem? He adds experiences and is an extra body down forward. If that allows us to take some pressure off Kreuze and Henderson (even a little bit), I'm happy enough.

He might be absolutely shit but, for those playing at home, he will have cost us nothing but a gamble.

More importantly, it only takes an injury to 2 of the above and we have nothing in reserve...

You'd only expect to get 20-40 goals out of Russell in his current age/state. Why not take a chance on Austin and Cloke to do the same? They are younger and fit in better and will fight for the team cause more. I'm sure Cloke/austin playing FF for a year could at least jag 20+ goals...but maybe, just maybe their upside is huge if given a go. Robertson has been measured and will only offer so much - e.g. doesnt chase, doesnt tackle!

Cloke is def an average player but so too is robertson now at the end of his career. Cloke might be ok starting out at FF where pace is not too much of an issue.

Look, on a 1 yr contract, I think he's worth considering, because he won't be the no1 forward, he will just give us another option and will help the youngsters like Kruezer and Henderson in their development, obviously the main downside is going the other way with Robbo, he wont won't chase or tackle

Doesn't make much sense. Robbo IS NOT a KP forward. He is a medium forward and we have heaps of them, and much better. Stick with Kruezer, Hendo, Setanta and Waite in the KP forward roles. And let Yarran, Betts, and Garlett do the small/medium forward stuff. :)

The club isnt panicking, the fans on here might be. The article is a "no comment so we will interpret that as a yes" piece. Why would the club telegraph their intentions to the media? They publicly announced Fev would go and they traded very well for him, then they publicly announced they wanted Bradshaw, it didnt work out but thats how it goes sometimes, hardly a fault of the club. They have not signaled any interest in Robbo or anyone else.

How is any of that a panic.

Selfish footballer.
Got dropped for lairising earlier in the season.
Has lost his pace.
Zero defensive pressure.
Delisted by the wooden spooners.

Enough said...

DO NOT WANT

It's not simply about him kicking 'x' amount of goals, his lack of effort and inability to get to contests are going to cause turnovers that hurt us the other way around. He isn't a kpp so would rather get games into Robinson or someone of that ilk.

+1 x 100 :(

to me he is a must get, you saw him kick 5 against up last year still, standing on peoples heads, will be better next year. I think the negativety is really about his personality on and off the grounds, to me he is still a good player, and lets face it at the moment we don't have full forward so it just seems like a given that we'll pick robinson up and give him a lifeline, he'd probably end up kicking 50 goals, he will have alot of supply and can really envisage him doing really well.

Why would Carlton recruit Robertson? When we a have Kruezer and Henderson who can both play forward. Don't need him.

Kreuzer at FF and Henderson CHF and hopefully Butcher falls to pick 12

Carlos at CHF, Kreuzer at FF and Henderson in the pocket...

Pick up one of the boys Geelong delisted as cover for down front and we could be well along the path to the next flag when all these kids come of age together.

Getting Robbo as cover while our forward line develops would be similar to our getting Mick Martyn in as cover while our backline developed.

And we all know the end results of that one dont we.

I would prefer to take a couple more years of slight misery while our forwards developed on their own while getting used to the rest of the team

Doesn't make much sense. Robbo IS NOT a KP forward. He is a medium forward and we have heaps of them, and much better. Stick with Kruezer, Hendo, Setanta and Waite in the KP forward roles. And let Yarran, Betts, and Garlett do the small/medium forward stuff. :)

Yes... Setanta and Waite rotating through the CH positions to make things tricky for the opposition. Kreuzer and Hendo at FF and FP respectively and our small/medium forwards ripping the opposition new ones when the ball hits the deck.

A lot of supporters are just looking for the quick fix 'We need a FF... who is out there'.

If the club does throw a stick to Robbo, it is only going to be a cover role while our own young forwards are developing.

I'll back the club on this one...after the horrific trading period earlier in the decade it has taken sometime to restore my faith in our recruitment and selection strategy, but I think the current decision makers have the runs on the board and should be backed.

Can't see that he adds much in terms of leadership, and has always had issues with the defensive side of the game. What he does so is kick goals on a pretty regular basis and I think it will come down to just how deep our forward line runs in the eyes of the football department.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Carlton considering Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back