News Carlton considering Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly cannot see all the displeasure with the recruitment of Robbo.

We get him for next to nothing and he is a proven goal kicker. The only reason Melbourne gave him the boot was because of their rebuilding foundation and he did not fit in to their future plans ( Understandable with where they are at the moment).

If Robbo is fit and has a good pre season he could very well contribute 2 goals a game which is 44 goals a year in my book excluding finals.

I know this guy is getting on with regards to his age etc but we are not exactly giving up heaven and earth to get him are we??? We will lose a Pre season draft pick at best IF it all goes pear shaped. I say give him a chance and lets see what Robbo has to offer....

I am all for giving our younger guys a chance to play up forward and consolidate a spot in the 22 but Robbo if he remains injury free and can play all year i can see him really being a beneficial recruit for us moving forward.

At the end of the day if we do get him and it does not work out he will be at the Bullants and will cost us no more than a base salary and a late Pre season draft pick. Hardly an earth shattering loss at the worst.

Give the guy a go and lets see what happens. :thumbsu:

Selfish footballer.
Got dropped for lairising earlier in the season.
Has lost his pace.
Zero defensive pressure.
Delisted by the wooden spooners.

Enough said...

DO NOT WANT

It's not simply about him kicking 'x' amount of goals, his lack of effort and inability to get to contests are going to cause turnovers that hurt us the other way around. He isn't a kpp so would rather get games into Robinson or someone of that ilk.

Sez it all. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Selfish footballer.
Got dropped for lairising earlier in the season.
Zero defensive pressure.
Delisted by the wooden spooners.

Enough said...

DO NOT WANT

It's not simply about him kicking 'x' amount of goals, his lack of effort and inability to get to contests are going to cause turnovers that hurt us the other way around. He isn't a kpp so would rather get games into Robinson or someone of that ilk.

Since so many are quoting this post thought i would give my 2 cents on it.

Selfish footballer... Cmon how many pure forwards are not???They all want to kick goals.

Got dropped for lairising earlier in the season. Cmon we of all supporters cannot be critical of this remember Fev...

Zero defensive pressure....... Stevens was no different not to mention Hoops and Scottland.

Delisted by the wooden spooners. Irrelevant point as they are in rebuild mode and Russ is getting on. This has no bearing of his relevance to our current team.

his lack of effort and inability to get to contests are going to cause turnovers that hurt us the other way around.
We have at least 5 other players that fit into this category ATM that will not average 2 goals a game as a fit Robbo will with our current midfielders hitting him lace out on the chest.

Let's get him. He doesn't have to play every game. If he is ruining our forward structure, he can play in the Bullants.
If we draft Robertson and drop him, he might be playing in the VFL reserves if we draft two KPP in the national draft. Picks 12 and 43 plus Tiller deserve the game time as forwards if they're playing VFL.

Now that Fevola is gone, Cloke should be given just one year to be stop gap forward.

If you take out the five goals Robertson kicked on Anderson who is a HBF, the former Demon averaged justs two goals per match last year.

Even Cam Cloke could kick two a match after his final.

Cameron Cloke would be a better short term option than Robertson to fill the need for the next 12 months.

Same tish, different bucket.

Both forwards can take a grab, yet they're also slow as treacle and don't chase.

At least Cam Cloke is a big man and key position size.

Yet the growing group think that Robertson will be a great foil for Henderson suggests he is going to be a dangerous goal scorer at 32 years of age.

And draw a man.

The opposition would play someone like Milburn/Mackie or Fisher on Robertson and kill US on the rebound.

Cloke for a year without Fevola being the magnet for all our inside fifties.

Carlton should give a roughie or Aaron Kite a chance ahead of Robertson.

Someone who isn't a one dimensional footballer like Robertson who needs to realise that he's finished.

If we draft Robertson and drop him, he might be playing in the VFL reserves if we draft two KPP in the national draft. Picks 12 and 43 plus Tiller deserve the game time as forwards if they're playing VFL.

Now that Fevola is gone, Cloke should be given just one year to be stop gap forward.

If you take out the five goals Robertson kicked on Anderson who is a HBF, the former Demon averaged justs two goals per match last year.

Cameron Cloke would be a better short term option than Robertson to fill the need for the next 12 months.

Both forwards can take a grab, yet they're also slow as treacle and don't chase.

Yet the growing group think that Robertson will be a great foil for Henderson suggests he is going to be a dangerous goal scorer at 32 years of age.

And draw a man.

The opposition would play someone like Milburn/Mackie or Fisher on Robertson and kill US on the rebound.

Someone who isn't a one dimensional footballer like Robertson who needs to realise that he's finished.

I can see all your points of view TG and they are very relevant.

I respect your opinion but i have a hunch that IF we recruit Robbo it may just turn out o.k. :thumbsu:

And draw a man.

Great summary. But I've written Cloke off. (As a main spearhead, Kruezer already is better) How many times have we put him in the goal
square and its paid off ?? I could count it on one hand.

Im warming to this Robbo pick, nothing gained, nothing lost.

Would be nice to see Matty Lloyd in the square for one year,
(just to appease his dad and the footy gods)
But Robbo seems to be the last "established" FF type up for
grabs... Can any of the PSD followers tell us otherwise ??
We need a half Fev for a year to retune the engine...
Its that simple. And Robbo seems to be the last man
with credentials for next year. Hope we get him, if not, then
lets wallow in the shadows and marvel at how we nearly scored
enough points to make it to 9th !!!

Since so many are quoting this post thought i would give my 2 cents on it.

Selfish footballer... Cmon how many pure forwards are not???They all want to kick goals.

There is selfish and then there is selfish, the guy simply won't pass the ball

Got dropped for lairising earlier in the season. Cmon we of all supporters cannot be critical of this remember Fev...

Did we not just trade Fevola?

Do you want us to go forwards or backwards?

Zero defensive pressure....... Stevens was no different not to mention Hoops and Scottland.

again...

This is no argument.

Do you want to spend your whole life watching a team revelling in mediocrity?

We are meant to move on from that rubbish not bring more of it in...

Delisted by the wooden spooners. Irrelevant point as they are in rebuild mode and Russ is getting on. This has no bearing of his relevance to our current team.

um, yes it does. They retained Mcdonald, whilst Bruce is still getting around. If Robertson was so capable of providing a foil to young players and provide valuable leadership there is no way they would have gotten rid of him. After all, it's only a spot on a list, right? If he is not right for a team totally devoid of leadership then what makes you think he has the potential to provide good knowledge to our own players?

his lack of effort and inability to get to contests are going to cause turnovers that hurt us the other way around.
We have at least 5 other players that fit into this category ATM that will not average 2 goals a game as a fit Robbo will with our current midfielders hitting him lace out on the chest.
You mean blokes like Cloke and Fisher?
Those guys are no more than depth players...
Waite, Henderson, Kreuzer, Setanta, Betts, Garlett, Walker, Yarran are plenty of options that have the added benefit of being young enough to go forward with.

Why not just pick up a kid?

Sure the odds are stacked against him making it but you never really know do you? There is always the possiblity of striking gold.

I'd rather take the potential for striking gold over a guy that I know 100% will give us nothing going forward.

There are young guys like Scott Simpson who showed a bit in the VFL that we could pick up with our last pick instead of pass and go to pick 10 in the PSD..

It smacks of unnecessary desperation to be picking a guy like this up when we should be using this opportunity to throw support behind the guys we have that are more than capable of kicking winning scores.

Why not just pick up a kid?

Sure the odds are stacked against him making it but you never really know do you? There is always the possiblity of striking gold.

I'd rather take the potential for striking gold over a guy that I know 100% will give us nothing going forward.

There are young guys like Scott Simpson who showed a bit in the VFL that we could pick up with our last pick instead of pass and go to pick 10 in the PSD..

It smacks of unnecessary desperation to be picking a guy like this up when we should be using this opportunity to throw support behind the guys we have that are more than capable of kicking winning scores.

Carlton has talented youngsters all over the place, we need some experiance in key areas, i am not against youth but the rookie list should be used for that as well as the National Draft. Experiance is a deficiency on field right now and so is a proven goalkicker, thus the suggestion on Robertson. I am not saying he is our solution to the Fev problem, as matter of fact he plays completly differently as a high flying medium forward not as a KPF, he just seems to tick the right boxes at this point in time.

Taking a punt is for the rookie list where there is nothing lost if it doesn't work out, but you can find gold: Joseph, Gartlett, Carrazzo etc

I think the pro Robertson posters have broken out in panic about Carlton maybe taking a step back next year. Relax! If we have to go backwards a little, let's do it. We have been set up beautifully for 2011+. Henderson + pick 12 will give us the fwds we need + internal development of other players like Austin, Yarran, Garlett, Walker and Robinson.

Who would you want starting in a fwd pocket out of Robertson, Walker and Robinson. I'd easily accept the latter 2 in 2010.

Where most new recruits are still trying to forge a career and fit within the team structure, this can not be said of Robertson (crab), or a player like Hall (mental) at the doggies. When it comes down to it, they are both passed it but have put themselves out there only for one thing, 1 last cash grab!!

If he had ANYTHING to offer do you think Melbourne would have dumped him when he could of helped their developing fwds? Even tho they have the weakest list the Dees said no thanks Russell - you offer nothing!!

I'm embarrassed how all of a sudden Carlton people on here have all of a sudden got soo desperate after losing out on Bradshaw that they are trying to convince themselves we should recruit a hack from a bottom club and back him over existing Carlton players!

How embarrassment!

MT talking about Falcons boys:

SMART%20CAR%20TYRE%20PUMP%20001.jpg

This time he is right though ;)

Jeremias, you've lost the plot on this one :).....what he does cost us is a spot on the list.....that could go to a kid with a potential 8-10 year future, as opposed to possibly 1-2 years of flashy, non-accountable football.....for the sake of a return of 30 goals (which will be absorbed elsehwere), if his body holds up....would rather get games into a youngster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeremias, you've lost the plot on this one :).....what he does cost us is a spot on the list.....that could go to a kid with a potential 8-10 year future, as opposed to possibly 1-2 years of flashy, non-accountable football.....for the sake of a return of 30 goals (which will be absorbed elsehwere), if his body holds up....would rather get games into a youngster.

He costs us a spot on the list if he fails, no doubt.

But realistically speaking the PSD is not exactly full of talent. Sure, you might get a good kid here or there but the chances are slim. Especially this year considering the draft is apparently much weaker than we've seen in quite some time.

It's all good and well to hope that we get a player in the PSD that has an 8-10 year future but realistically speaking it is extremely unlikely to happen.

Robertson gives us something that is far from assured in the draft and that is quality. He's a proven quality player that can still have a significant impact at senior level. I don't care that he's 30 - he can flat out play.

I also don't buy the whole "he'll take games away from the youngsters" point of view. The notion that getting Robertson and developing young forwards are mutually exclusive events is an absolute farce. We can still develop our future forwards as we want, even if Robbo is up forward alongside them. Every young forward will get a game if their form warrants it. If anything, recruiting Robbo will have the opposite effect - I think the younger players will enjoy having a bit of experience around them. We've lost a lot of firepower with Fev but Robbo knows how to kick bags of goals and make an impact.

As far as I'm concerned:

Best case scenario - Robbo is fit and interested and contributes 30-40 goals in 2010. He helps us keep our spot in the 8 whilst we continue to develop the kids and the team as a whole. All this for one of the last players added to a senior list in 2010 and on minimal wages.

Worst case scenario - His body fails or interest wanes and he's dropped to the Bullants. We put a kid in the seniors in his place. We lose a spot on the list that could have been used to draft a young kid who is a line-ball chance of making the big league at best.

Of course there are chances that we encounter the worst case scenario and that a player we could have taken turns out to be a superstar over a 12 year period. But if we are going to be held back by that and reactive to what "may be" rather than proactive then IMO we have our priorities wrong.

The priority should be improving the Carlton Football Club in the short-term and the long term, and I think drafting Robbo, be it as it may for only a few seasons, will improve us as a team more than taking a punt on a young kid in the PSD.

I'd also prefer not leave the 30 goals that you say will be absorbed by others to chance. We expect players to lift their input on the scoreboard without Fevola but realistically speaking that may not happen. I'd rather have someone like Robertson, a proven goalkicker, on our list and available for selection, even if it is as a fall-back if the players are unable to improve their input on the scoreboard.

Splendiferous doesnt have to say anything...the history of old spuds is littered throughout Carlton's last 15 years.

Mick Martin, Ackland, Mcguane, Mansfield, Teague, Harford, Digby and so many more duds.

Give it up Jeremias, dont make us the laughing stock of other clubs!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Carlton considering Robertson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back