Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope he's wrong about us not making the 8 but I can't fault what Buckley said - it's exactly my concern TBH. The teams that bother us the most are the ones that can either match our Plan A or setup well to nullify it by allowing us messy, pressured clearances then set-up behind that.

For mine, we still bomb it long to out-of-position or outnumbered forwards far too often to be a genuine top 4.

But here I go, basing this off ... one practise match ;) So plenty to play out obviously.

Time will tell I guess.
Plan A is winning the contested ball and feeding to two of the best forwards in the game...

Buckley is *en genius!!
lets all bow down to Buckley ...

who doesn't bother to mention what 'Plan B' might be for ANY side. Whats teh alternative bucko- lose the contested ball and kick sideways for 4 quarters mate? It is why you lost your coach's job after being given 10 years to learn - no idea.

it is football malarky
blah blah blah Plan A not good enough...

I hope he's wrong about us not making the 8 but I can't fault what Buckley said - it's exactly my concern TBH. The teams that bother us the most are the ones that can either match our Plan A or setup well to nullify it by allowing us messy, pressured clearances then set-up behind that.

For mine, we still bomb it long to out-of-position or outnumbered forwards far too often to be a genuine top 4.

But here I go, basing this off ... one practise match ;) So plenty to play out obviously.

Time will tell I guess.
What’s the Filth’s plan b?

l don't believe that is factual at all our list management team added Acres & Hollands and Binns to add some speed.

We should have beaten Collingwood & Melbourne the last two games last season with some better composure without Walsh/Hewitt and Kennedy.

We are in good shape, some are overrating both Fremantle & Richmond.
We need to finish top 6 for a pass mark this season.
Just saying the perception of some has been we will suffer through lack of speed and footskills. I personally don’t think that is rectified through recruitment of Acres. Acres and Hollands add gut running more than speed. Binns probably won’t play.

None of this matters if our A game is good enough. But I can see why pundits who doubt the sustainability of our A game would also doubt our ability to change the game through embracing a different style of football. It’s sort of, our way or the highway.

Some in the media say we have an elite list. Other people in the media say we will miss the 8.

On occasion it’s the same person saying both.

Few *s should be given.
That's the exact logic in reverse you see on this forum every preseason. Doubts about a number of players and/or tactics are strongly hinted at but apparently we are still going to make the finals or even top four. No wonder the media has a split personality regarding the club, it spreads.

Last edited:
Money is, but you can still extend the period, essentially reducing money per year
If a player comes as a restricted free agent the contract can be renegotiated but the original contract still has to be included in the salary cap. So essentially if the contract was extended the club has the money spread out but the salary cap space does not change. Otherwise there would be nothing to stop clubs from putting forward an over the top contract knowing the other club will not match it if it could be changed later. Compensation is also calculated on the original contract.

If a player comes as a restricted free agent the contract can be renegotiated but the original contract still has to be included in the salary cap. So essentially if the contract was extended the club has the money spread out but the salary cap space does not change. Otherwise there would be nothing to stop clubs from putting forward an over the top contract knowing the other club will not match it if it could be changed later. Compensation is also calculated on the original contract.

It's a bit of a slippery slope, and not really locked in, in a number of areas

As an example, Pies are paying a reasonable portion for 2 players at other clubs, contracts they pushed back to add more years initially

Then, they were still able to target more FA's, likes of McStay

Plenty of loopholes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an example, Pies are paying a reasonable portion for 2 players at other clubs, contracts they pushed back to add more years initially

Plenty of loopholes
But they’re not RA’s/RFA’s, there’s a difference there.

Plenty of loopholes
I think with the free agent contracts it actually is locked in.

There was some stink about the Daniher thing, but ultimately that was an extension at a lower value. So the original deal stayed the same but the extension at a lower value kind of means the contract averages out lower, even though the initial bit, signed through free agency, stays the same.

There’s effectively bidding involved (ie multiple clubs going after a player, also the original club’s ability to match an offer on a restricted free agent) and because the year and dollar value (plus age, club finishing position and some secret sauce) generates the compensation pick, which is why they don’t let FA/RFA contracts be renegotiated.

Whatever is agreed to is final and can’t be smoothed over extra years, pushed around, or reduced.

As mentioned earlier, the Daisy thing was a trigger clause, so not part of the set-in-stone money/years counted as part of the FA contract (ie wouldn’t have affected the compensation or bidding).

CARLTON knows the stakes, and knows the dichotomy of the situation it's in.
Finals football is the minimum expectation at Ikon Park this season. Last year's heartbreaking finish, where the Blues fell narrowly short of breaking a September drought that is now into its 10th consecutive season, only emphasised that further.

But the club also knows the danger that such an expectation presents. While Carlton desperately wants to embrace its position, and accept its improvement, it brings a weekly narrative that is difficult to avoid. Every result is measured against the expectation, precariously carrying the risk of subconsciously shifting the focus of its playing group too far into the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mitch and Kirsten, a boy, great, another prospective father/son for the future. Now it's all over and done, Mitch can now concentrate on his footy.:p
Sadly Mitch needs to play a fair few more games before father son rules apply.

Would be good if he played the 50 or so to meet qualifications.

I think with the free agent contracts it actually is locked in.

There was some stink about the Daniher thing, but ultimately that was an extension at a lower value. So the original deal stayed the same but the extension at a lower value kind of means the contract averages out lower, even though the initial bit, signed through free agency, stays the same.

There’s effectively bidding involved (ie multiple clubs going after a player, also the original club’s ability to match an offer on a restricted free agent) and because the year and dollar value (plus age, club finishing position and some secret sauce) generates the compensation pick, which is why they don’t let FA/RFA contracts be renegotiated.

Whatever is agreed to is final and can’t be smoothed over extra years, pushed around, or reduced.

As mentioned earlier, the Daisy thing was a trigger clause, so not part of the set-in-stone money/years counted as part of the FA contract (ie wouldn’t have affected the compensation or bidding).
It is locked in.

Carlton crunch: Inside the AFL’s most talked about cap squeeze​

Is someone able to post this article please?
On HS website behind paywall.
Cheers.
Show me evidence Carlton has a salary cap squeeze.

It's 100% hearsay. There is no evidence we have, plenty of evidence we don't.

F***ing media beat up all because of something that happened 20 years ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back