Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it just something that has to be approved by the AFL? Daisy voluntarily took a pay cut in his last year after joining as a free agent

I believe he waived a clause or two in his contract relating to performance based remuneratio, triggers etc.

The Williams deal could be renegotiated.

but I don’t believe we have anything approaching a “squeeze”

I believe he waived a clause or two in his contract.

The Williams deal could be renegotiated.
Cunners was walking past and caught a bad head cold..........1-2 weeks............

Isn't it just something that has to be approved by the AFL? Daisy voluntarily took a pay cut in his last year after joining as a free agent
He did. I'd imagine there'd be conditions to it, i.e. you can't just agree to a pay cut based on form, or moving money from this yr to next year to make the cap work etc. Too bad that's the deal, just because he isn't the player you thought doesn't change that.

Perhaps in cases where other factors have caused the contract to be egregious, such as injury (which would apply in Thomas' case, and Williams' case so far), and perhaps off field things, they're more amenable to allowing the reductions.

Thomas had a games played trigger that would have given him an extra year for 800k that he waved so a bit different to Williams.

We could probably extend Williams another year for a lowish salary to smooth out his deal. Brisbane did similar with Daniher just recently. The only issue is Williams is already signed for 3 more years so an extension would take him to 32. Given his injury history would we want to do that? Probably depends how desperate we are.

Thomas had a games played trigger that would have given him an extra year for 800k that he waved so a bit different to Williams.

We could probably extend Williams another year for a lowish salary to smooth out his deal. Brisbane did similar with Daniher just recently. The only issue is Williams is already signed for 3 more years so an extension would take him to 32. Given his injury history would we want to do that? Probably depends how desperate we are.
Daniher was different in that he only signed a 2year deal at big money so * would get a first round pick and not match. He then extended for 3yr less than a year later at low money as part of a handshake agreement. It was dodgy AF. Daniher wasn't reducing and smoothing the salary cap.

Still interesting that every time our cap is mentioned by the footy media they always allude to us trying to move on Williams in the past/looking to in the future. It must be something the clubs considering.
I know others don't think other clubs would bite but If we can get his cap off our books somehow, we really would be in a great position to refine our list with a few more quality role players with his and Govs contracts off our list.

Still interesting that every time our cap is mentioned by the footy media they always allude to us trying to move on Williams in the past/looking to in the future. It must be something the clubs considering.
I know others don't think other clubs would bite but If we can get his cap off our books somehow, we really would be in a great position to refine our list with a few more quality role players with his and Govs contracts off our list.

Enough cap space to free up without worrying about Williams, either by departures or players getting less with new contracts

Dow, Fog, Gov, Ed, Phip, Plow, Pitto, Doc, Newman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enough cap space to free up without worrying about Williams, either by departures or players getting less with new contracts

Dow, Fog, Gov, Ed, Phip, Plow, Pitto, Doc, Newman

Assuming he can get his body semi-functional I'd be happy to get Jeremy McGovern across for 1 or 2 years (on minimal money). Brian Lake style.

Assuming he can get his body semi-functional I'd be happy to get Jeremy McGovern across for 1 or 2 years (on minimal money). Brian Lake style.

Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, and played half or more in just one of those seasons.

No doubting his quality, but turning 32 a game or two into his tenure, we have to do better.

Hasn't played a full season in 3 years, and played half or more in just one of those seasons.

No doubting his quality, but turning 32 a game or two into his tenure, we have to do better.

If we were to look at it, it would have to be contingent on a plan to have him play 12-18 games, tops. Manage him through the season with regular spells, play two, miss one, play two, miss one etc. Try and have him cherry ripe in finals.

But then the money would have to be scaled down accordingly. Hell no to paying full whack for a bloke you know you won't be playing every week.

Honestly though, reckon we just steer clear. Gotta be other targets for us that fit the list demographic better. Let Jeremy land wherever he lands, and if Gov comes to us and asks to be traded to join his brother, take whatever we can get and move on.

Happy to trade in some solid citizens who can fall in the 16-26th spot range on the list. Draft some quality. Our core group are going to be locked in for 5-8 years and we don't need to be splashing cash on premium free agents and trade targets, we just need to retain the key pieces and cultivate a competitive group to support them.

If we were to look at it, it would have to be contingent on a plan to have him play 12-18 games, tops. Manage him through the season with regular spells, play two, miss one, play two, miss one etc. Try and have him cherry ripe in finals.

But then the money would have to be scaled down accordingly. Hell no to paying full whack for a bloke you know you won't be playing every week.

Honestly though, reckon we just steer clear. Gotta be other targets for us that fit the list demographic better. Let Jeremy land wherever he lands, and if Gov comes to us and asks to be traded to join his brother, take whatever we can get and move on.

Happy to trade in some solid citizens who can fall in the 16-26th spot range on the list. Draft some quality. Our core group are going to be locked in for 5-8 years and we don't need to be splashing cash on premium free agents and trade targets, we just need to retain the key pieces and cultivate a competitive group to support them.

I can't support bringing someone in planning for them to be available for finals but knowing they'll likely miss half the regular season.

Having a fully fit and firing list come September is only worth anything if we actually get there, which we know isn't something we can count on until it's mathematically impossible for us to miss.

No doubt if fit he'd be great come September, but it's a big if, and I'd much rather bring in someone who will actually help us get there.

On very low money I'd be happy with it depending on how his body holds up this year.

Getting 12 or 13 games out of a recruit would be above average for us.

It's that luxury that teams near the top can exploit - older elite players joining for a crack at a premiership.

Although I will admit this would be a long shot at this stage.

Main priority is keeping his brother fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back