Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Geez... they can't stop talking about us on FoxFooty.

On First Crack of a Port Dees match, they played that Carlton promo thing and they just started randomly talking about Carlton.

Kelli Underwood had to steer the convo back for the Dees fans that's stayed up.

It felt nice and fuzzy.
It is a happy virus. Gerard was waxing lyrical on his morning show. Speaking about how it wasn't hype or getting ahead of ourselves. He called our players and coach realistic in celebrating but well aware of what needs tweaking. He called us supporters the most playful of all and those who have a go like the 8 and 0 schtick on The Front Bar just teasing but no malice because people are pleased to have Carlton back competing.
It's just.......wtf????
Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Sesame Street Photo GIF

Oh My Goodness Helmet GIF by National Geographic Channel

Mguane article is correct regarding how vulnerable our defence is and how it is insulated by the midfield. We still turn the ball over and struggle to carry the ball forward from defence. However, Mcguane's black and white bias came out when he indicated Carlton is no certainty to make the 8. Hey, the Dees are not either, at this stage of the season

It is a happy virus. Gerard was waxing lyrical on his morning show. Speaking about how it wasn't hype or getting ahead of ourselves. He called our players and coach realistic in celebrating but well aware of what needs tweaking. He called us supporters the most playful of all and those who have a go like the 8 and 0 schtick on The Front Bar just teasing but no malice because people are pleased to have Carlton back competing.
It's just.......wtf????
Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

Sesame Street Photo GIF

Oh My Goodness Helmet GIF by National Geographic Channel

1649371043089.gif

Mguane article is correct regarding how vulnerable our defence is and how it is insulated by the midfield. We still turn the ball over and struggle to carry the ball forward from defence. However, Mcguane's black and white bias came out when he indicated Carlton is no certainty to make the 8. Hey, the Dees are not either, at this stage of the season
This just sums up all that is wrong with the media. Last year, everyone bemoaned the fact that our defence was under siege bacause the midfield wasn't defensive enough, now, when the club have somewhat turned that around, you get comments like the one above.

These pundits can just take whatever stance they like and then select the angle they want to justify it.

The fact that our defence is being "insulated" by the midfield is a positive, it's not a "vulnerability". Not to mention the fact that under Teague our key defenders had to become masters at one-on-one defence, so having more pressure upfield only makes their job easier.

Haven't seen this posted yet:

Seriously, have we ever had a player who speaks as well as Jacob? If we have, I cant remember them.

Self-assured, insightful, intelligent and humble. Quite the combination.
Great to hear he felt the need to remain level headed when interviewed on 3AW.

Adam Cooney's top 5 KPPs in 2022

1. Gawn
2. J Cameron
3 Daniher
4 Weiterbot
5 T McCartin

Cooney: He’s been a very consistent player over the last couple of years, but he’s gone to another level. With his side playing well, he’s starting to get the plaudits that he deserves.

Cornes: I was there at the MCG last week. It was one of the best games I’ve seen ever from a key defender and I know that’s a big statement, but he was unbelievable and I bet you he doesn’t get the three Brownlow votes

H/S headline about Mick McGuane admitting he was wrong about Carlton (the same bloke who rated our midfield, forwards and defence all at about 14th to 15th best in the comp) but that he still has lots of concerns.

His main concerns should be;
  • The fraudulent way that he took money from us when his career was effectively over.
  • How he has let himself go to the extent that he has
  • H/S realises that even by their pitiful standards that his analytical standards aren't up to scratch.

Apparently we could easily be 1 and 2 though.

Well we were dumb enough to recruit him when it was obvious to everyone his body was shot

To be fair there are some valid points there. However it is misleading to make summations about teams comparatively after 3 games, as in Carlton have only scored from chains from their back half 10% of the time whilst Brisbane have 17% of the time this year - ANSWER Carlton haven't played and defeated the Kangaroos by 108 thus distorting said statistic.

I'm still not convinced that scoring a lot from the midfield is not sustainable. At the very worst continue to keep scoring from your strong midfield and continue to work to add other layers like scoring from turnovers.

Don't think that he gives our defence as much credit as he should either. Sure, due to circumstances beyond our control, we are one very good KPD off where we would like to be however we have one elite KPD and our small to mid size defenders (Saad, Williams, Docherty, Stocker, Newman) are probably as good collectively, if not better than those of any other team in the comp. A fit McGovern and OMac/Young being able to curb an opponent means that our defence is a long long way away from being a weakness.

I don’t think anyone is arguing otherwise, but I think the Hawks current scoring of basically all from back half and via turnovers to be way less sustainable than ours.

I think it’s easier to tighten up defensively than suddenly win heaps of clearances when you currently aren’t doing so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This just sums up all that is wrong with the media. Last year, everyone bemoaned the fact that our defence was under siege bacause the midfield wasn't defensive enough, now, when the club have somewhat turned that around, you get comments like the one above.

These pundits can just take whatever stance they like and then select the angle they want to justify it.

The fact that our defence is being "insulated" by the midfield is a positive, it's not a "vulnerability". Not to mention the fact that under Teague our key defenders had to become masters at one-on-one defence, so having more pressure upfield only makes their job easier.
Wait until a week we lose contested and clearances, you might see our turnovers from the back half hurt us on the score board.

Thanks but can’t atm.

Any chance you can list a couple of the points he made regarding review?

Touched on the need to slow down and lower the eyes to deal with the Hawks flood - he covered the same ground as much of the discussion on here but from an articulate player's perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back