Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week there was an article that mentioned the senior players were not happy with the playing group and their dedication to the team.
Last year?

That's not even really aimed at us. It's just a gee up to the Essendon and Melbourne players. It's saying well you've both had a tough draw, and we know the second album's tough, but no lying down. Don't let Carlton be better than you cause we've got no good grounds to criticise them this time.
I thought there were more backhanded slaps than genuine praise for us. Sure you are good, but Essendon are missing blah blah and blah. Sure you are great, but Essendon have had the toughest draw
So, are you really that great?

I think Riley Beveridge has got this last bit wrong.
It's not Carlton's contest without Cripps. It's Carlton's contest without Pittonet.
Cripps was playing in the 1st quarter when we were still getting beaten at the contest. It's also not a coincidence that Kennedy and Cerra had their worst games without Pitto (alright, that MIGHT be a coincidence - I can't prove that).

1649645970577.png

It's not Carlton's contest without Cripps. It's Carlton's contest without Pittonet.
Cripps was playing in the 1st quarter when we were still getting beaten at the contest. It's also not a coincidence that Kennedy and Cerra had their worst games without Pitto (alright, that MIGHT be a coincidence - I can't prove that).

View attachment 1369072

Interesting the score line correlation in our games to the clearance numbers.

I know Vossy's footy philosophy starts at the contest and wining that but we've gotta be better sorted for the games where we do lose the count.

Interesting the score line correlation in our games to the clearance numbers.

I know Vossy's footy philosophy starts at the contest and wining that but we've gotta be better sorted for the games where we do lose the count.
That's absolutely clear, from the Hawks game and yesterday. Need to contract someone (or use our own brains trust) to sit down and genuinely assess our exit from back half, and to build a transition game for when we're not winning the stoppages.

Hell, base it on Geelong, as theirs isn't reliant on being obnoxiously good with ball in hand as Hawthorn's is.

That's absolutely clear, from the Hawks game and yesterday. Need to contract someone (or use our own brains trust) to sit down and genuinely assess our exit from back half, and to build a transition game for when we're not winning the stoppages.

Hell, base it on Geelong, as theirs isn't reliant on being obnoxiously good with ball in hand as Hawthorn's is.
Most teams will go sideways to a back pocket or HBF who then either finds a centering ball or continues the chain via short kick to a flanker.

1. Plowman/Newman and Docherty are below average AFL kicks as far as precise kicking goes=- which is why Boyd has been given a run.
nd these blokes are supposed to put it to the advantage of a flanker ; out flankers :
2. Lob is an unreliable mark ( to put it mildly) and Setterfield when he doses mark is very very slow to move the ball on by foot - he is a mid playing wing.
3. Charlie and Harry both dropped more relief marks than they took and TDK didn't mark anything in same role

Our by foot transitional play is crapola because of both limited skill from half teh defenders and zero ability on the flanks.

Which is why Saad (bless his soul) is so important and why Williams is so important as these blokes are doing all teh heavy lifting Saad by foot and Williams by clean up and corridor kicks.

Voss doesn't have the personnel to play the kicking rebound game when he has three ordinary kicks back there - we need Stocker in ASAP - and Voss needs to find a couple of flankers.

Most teams will go sideways to a back pocket or HBF who then either finds a centering ball or continues the chain via short kick to a flanker.

1. Plowman/Newman and Docherty are below average AFL kicks as far as precise kicking goes=- which is why Boyd has been given a run.
nd these blokes are supposed to put it to the advantage of a flanker ; out flankers :
2. Lob is an unreliable mark ( to put it mildly) and Setterfield when he doses mark is very very slow to move the ball on by foot - he is a mid playing wing.
3. Charlie and Harry both dropped more relief marks than they took and TDK didn't mark anything in same role

Our by foot transitional play is crapola because of both limited skill from half teh defenders and zero ability on the flanks.

Which is why Saad (bless his soul) is so important and why Williams is so important as these blokes are doing all teh heavy lifting Saad by foot and Williams by clean up and corridor kicks.

Voss doesn't have the personnel to play the kicking rebound game when he has three ordinary kicks back there - we need Stocker in ASAP - and Voss needs to find a couple of flankers.
Yeap. Good analysis.

I was expecting we’d be better with the chains of kicking or hand passes this year.

Both saad and Williams I believe can initiate these rebounds.

Currently when saad gets it in backline he usually bursts away a bit and then kicks long to a contest. I wonder if this is instructional or it’s what saad likes to do as opposed to chip kicking or a combination of running and hand passing to create that chain of ball movement into our f50.

Williams on the hand seems a bit more strategic with his ball movement and doesn’t mind kicking a bit shorter to maintain possession.

Having said all that this style of play needs our players to continually run into space to provide options for the kicker and last night we were outworked so probably wouldn’t have worked.

oh the other thing is tempo football- good teas can play tempo whilst moving forwards - Carlton's version is sideways back - again indicators of relatively poor kicking team and also a relatively poor at between the arcs leads for the succession of short passes.

The side is predictable because it cant maintain possession and forwards arent running leading patterns to a midfield that is sharing possession and controlling the game.

As Voss has stated - the team is a work in progress and the game plan has many layers to be added.

but lets not kid ourselves about what the team as a whole can and cant do - or why.

View attachment 1369072
It's the follow up of the ruck in general which helps cripps do cripps -- pitto this year is getting it -- for mine it is the one factor cripps dropped off without kruez-- look the difference yesterday with silvagni follow up work compared to TDK -- guess that's why they call them followers

guess that's why they call us the blues.........
Sad Winona Ryder GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The facts don't really suit your narrative.

LOB marks:

Round 1 - 0
Round 2 - 6 (6th for Team)
Round 3 - 8 (3rd for Team)
Round 4 - 8 (Team / Game high)

Ok Lob is fantastic mate just what Carlton needs.

Carlton needs it's contested mids to show some mongrel and win a contest... That's what it needs. There's not an ounce of mongrel in Kennedy, TDK, Walsh or cerras game from the weekend. Not an ounce. That's the issue. Not how many marks a very outside winger takes. Lol.

Pretty simple really. For all our flaws if we at least breakeven in the midfield battle yesterday we probably win the game. Didn't help that Cerra and Kennedy played the worst games they have ever played in the same week cripps goes down and Pittonet is out. It's not an excuse but what's the likihood of all those factors coming together on the same week? The perfect storm of sh$tness.

Pretty simple really. For all our flaws if we at least breakeven in the midfield battle yesterday we probably win the game. Didn't help that Cerra and Kennedy played the worst games they have ever played in the same week cripps goes down and Pittonet is out. It's not an excuse but what's the likihood of all those factors coming together on the same week? The perfect storm of sh$tness.

Yeah . I will go with that. We outplayed totally .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But why did this happen? We're we fatigued still from last weeks game against hawthorn? Has corona spreading had an affect on some of our players? I really dont understand how the first 3 weeks we were playing well, against strong opponents too, to all of a sudden making all types of errors. I just dont understand how our quality could of dropped off so much so quickly.

But why did this happen? We're we fatigued still from last weeks game against hawthorn? Has corona spreading had an affect on some of our players? I really dont understand how the first 3 weeks we were playing well, against strong opponents too, to all of a sudden making all types of errors. I just dont understand how our quality could of dropped off so much so quickly.

We were sitting in the hot sun watching the reserves and travel . Coming off the hawks game . Percentages . Top level sport .

Given we won disposals and tackles clearly I think we can’t blame lack of effort too much. Both those categories require effort.

I think the fact we couldn’t impact the game at any time was due to defensive flooding and then counter attacking by GC into their open fwd line.

Against bottom sides we either need to flood back like they do and then counter or when we have the ball, and they have flooded back, then we control kick it forward to 50-70 out and give it to our best decision maker for the inside 50 kick. God knows who that is but it ain’t Cripps, Walsh, setter, lob. I think it should be from Docherty, Hewett and Cerra.

We were sitting in the hot sun watching the reserves and travel . Coming off the hawks game . Percentages . Top level sport .

I hear you but the sky is still falling.
My trust has snapped after one bad game. Yep. I'm that pathetic. Twenty years of hope has taken it's toll.
I couldn't even watch 'til the end.
However, I did find a great new show called Julia.
It will take a belter game on Sunday to snap me out of this. Right now, I see Port adding to a downward spiral.
As I said
Pathetic.
Slap me. (Metaphorically)
I am wearing my supporter badge of shame atm. My synapses need re-coding.I can't find Sunny Susie, the happy shetland pony either.
Suuuuuu-sieeeeeeeee! Come backkkkk!!!!!!!

I don't think we were playing quite well. Cripps and pitto were. Some of the, backline and a few of the forwards. We've had 5-10 passengers in the hawks, Dogs and gc game.

The issues in owies, Fisher, TDK, young, Kennedy and others games had been highlighted, and strongly in some cases.

When they can't play second, fiddle to Pitt and Crippa they wilt.

the game is played above the shoulders - mentally off the lot of them and played accordingly (plus GWS were switched on and ready for a fight)

Plus as others have said, our form probably not that great. We have awesome quarters then some bad ones. Hawks game was 3 awful quarters after a great quarter. thats now 7 pretty ordinary quarters in a row.

I don't think we were playing quite well. Cripps and pitto were. Some of the, backline and a few of the forwards. We've had 5-10 passengers in the hawks, Dogs and gc game.

The issues in owies, Fisher, TDK, young, Kennedy and others games had been highlighted, and strongly in some cases.

When they can't play second, fiddle to Pitt and Crippa they wilt.
This. We have played patches in the season to date.
Not sure I want to see Kennedy in that list, while there are others that should be there. Kennedy and Cerra were uncharacteristically poor. Been around to consider things like gastro in the twos or Cerra flat after premature Covid return?
Those two are proven players, the loss of our midfield bruisers in Pitto and Crippa surely could have had an effect, but feel likely is more to it.

We are poor at ball retention. Missed targets often as much on the potential receivers as the kickers. We still have players happy to “do their bit” and not follow up. The classic example was a Plow forward handball to a mate with a little space, but surrounded by opposition demanding quick disposal. No one moved up field and severely exacerbated by Plowman sitting back and not following up to give his mate an option or draw a player. It was pi55 poor.

I am glass half full, we are coming, big time. Similarly I see flawed players enjoying loyalty based on name, hype or connection and/or investment. They have been OK, even good in the first few games, but have flaws lending that they be passed up for better options developing. Details of which I will explore in a different thread soon.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back