Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2078741

I'm glad that somebody in the media is focussing on the diabolical selections and mismanagement of the GWS & Dogs games in rounds 17 & 18.

Last edited:

It's an obvious article. I don't really think it touches all that well on the bigger issues.

The first point was dropping George Hewett for the Giants game. We were 39 points up and had scored 50 points in the first quarter. I think most of us would have preferred he played but do we really think that had he, the result wouldn't have been the same?

Then the next one was Matty being played as the sub for the Dogs game. Again, not one most supporters would pick but something this team should be able to overcome.

If we can't have someone like George/Matty miss a game without capitulating, the game plan is in far bigger trouble than we already know it is. It's clear as day that our players will need to be rotated better next season to keep them fresher for longer through the season. That can't happen if we're unable to win without them.

Great article. Our issues started with selection. How we went into that bulldogs game with only 3 starting mids is one of the dumbest MC decisions I've ever seen.
It was also the ruck choices.
Pitto had a good game against Nankervis. So we drop him to bring in a sore TDK to play against Briggs. Then we bring Pitto back in to play 2 rucks against English and the Dogs.

And then there was Cerra and Cottrell straight in off long breaks.

We should have seen what was coming up: North 5 day break Port, Filth etc and known there was time to experiment but we needed to bank the Giants and Dogs games.

Atrocious planning.

It's an obvious article. I don't really think it touches all that well on the bigger issues.

The first point was dropping George Hewett for the Giants game. We were 39 points up and had scored 50 points in the first quarter. I think most of us would have preferred he played but do we really think that had he, the result wouldn't have been the same?

Then the next one was Matty being played as the sub for the Dogs game. Again, not one most supporters would pick but something this team should be able to overcome.

If we can't have someone like George/Matty miss a game without capitulating, the game plan is in far bigger trouble than we already know it is. It's clear as day that our players will need to be rotated better next season to keep them fresher for longer through the season. That can't happen if we're unable to win without them.
Our best football can beat anyone with our best side. We proved that against Geelong.

Hewett and Kennedy were only a part of the selection decisions made that stuffed us in those 2 games.

It's also about the mindset of the MC, got way ahead of themselves, as did the players.

It’s an easy answer. It’s incredibly lazy logic to think that two player selections have caused us to drop off so massively

Hewett and Kennedy were only a part of the selection decisions made that stuffed us in those 2 games.

It's also about the mindset of the MC, got way ahead of themselves, as did the players.
Everyone had us as premiership contenders and supporters were saying this team is better than 95. We were on our way to 17. Unfortunately the only number 17 we got was injuries.

It’s an easy answer. It’s incredibly lazy logic to think that two player selections have caused us to drop off so massively
That doesn't seem to be what is being said.

Very much agree.

I just think it's a double edged sword. Clearly we needed to rotate our players through the back half of the season to freshen up but it doesn't really seem like we're capable of being able to do that.

For so many reasons I feel for Crippa but he must be looking around watching everyone drop like flies, just absolutely exacerbated. He's the one that gets absolutely battered each week and yet he's by far and away our most durable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad that somebody in the media is focussing on the diabolical selections and mismanagement of the GWS & Dogs games in rounds 17 & 18.

Yep. I sort of forgot about that part. The coaching staff have had an absolute mare since the GWS game.

We were firing on all cylinders after the Richmond game.

Just dumb, arrogant coaching.

Yep. I sort of forgot about that part. The coaching staff have had an absolute mare since the GWS game.

We were firing on all cylinders after the Richmond game.

Just dumb, arrogant coaching.
It was really just those 2 weeks.
And then the injuries killed us.
If we banked those 2 (or at least 1), would have been able to have a different focus.

Those selections don’t guarantee wins. Again, it’s a lazy premise

No, we got ahead of ourselves.
And it filtered down to the players. Look how we played from 20 seconds to go in the 1st quarter 39 points up against the Giants until 3/4 time when we were 6 goals down.

The selections wouldn't have guaranteed wins, but they handicapped us in 2 hugely important games that we lost by 12 and 14 points.
To experiment with 2 rucks against the Dogs was moronic.

Great article. Our issues started with selection. How we went into that bulldogs game with only 3 starting mids is one of the dumbest MC decisions I've ever seen.

The coach has played a big part in our demise over the past 6 weeks imo.
Yes .. also mentions ‘a series of eyebrow-raising moves’

We were all talking about the tinkering here on BF, was it arrogance assuming we’re playing finals and it derailed ? Or where the injuries piling up, either way it’s mismanagement…so what’s Brad Lloyd got to say he’s been quiet

No, we got ahead of ourselves.
And it filtered down to the players. Look how we played from 20 seconds to go in the 1st quarter 39 points up against the Giants until 3/4 time when we were 6 goals down.

The selections wouldn't have guaranteed wins, but they handicapped us in 2 hugely important games that we lost by 12 and 14 points.
To experiment with 2 rucks against the Dogs was moronic.
Have you talked to a player and they’ve told you? If not, no point even discussing it remotely as fact. You seem pretty confident that it’s what happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back