Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

So let me see:
  • we once again have an injury list that takes longer to read and is harder to understand than a Tolstoy novel
  • our coaching staff decide to start experimenting with line ups for finals before we’ve even qualified for finals only to disrupt our winning momentum and lead us a position where we are now higher likely to miss finals
  • our iconic football industry veteran CEO wants to hand over the reigns after 3 years at the club to an ex CEO of arguably the only club that has been run worse than our club over the last 20 years
  • list manager wants to recruit a player we already have several versions of (Berry) and to address a lack of key tall defenders he targets an ageing, injury prone mid sized defender to replace an ageing, injury prone mid sized defender

…we’re back to being shit again, aren’t we?

Some damning footage shown by Leigh Montagna on 360 tonight. Shows the team, but specifically the defensive group, low on confidence and not trusting each other. Some horrific moments from plenty of experienced players

Shocking indictment on senior players Newman, Saad and Weitering.

At the end of these plays we might look at the bloke coming in late like Gov and Kemp and think they're to blame.

These were all domino plays. The first one falls and it sets off a chain reaction.

Absolute disgrace by guys who are supposed to know the system and instruct others.

This made my blood boil. I was wondering how they got into space. I thought it was the zone not working, but it was kick chasing.

Last edited:
So let me see:
  • we once again have an injury list that takes longer to read and is harder to understand than a Tolstoy novel
  • our coaching staff decide to start experimenting with line ups for finals before we’ve even qualified for finals only to disrupt our winning momentum and lead us a position where we are now higher likely to miss finals
  • our iconic football industry veteran CEO wants to hand over the reigns after 3 years at the club to an ex CEO of arguably the only club that has been run worse than our club over the last 20 years
  • list manager wants to recruit a player we already have several versions of (Berry) and to address a lack of key tall defenders he targets an ageing, injury prone mid sized defender to replace an ageing, injury prone mid sized defender

…we’re back to being shit again, aren’t we?
yep

Unfortunately getting the feeling that the players don't "want it" anywhere near as much as we supporters do.

If the internal standards were in place to stop defensive lapses like those highlighted, then they would have been fixed weeks ago, but they are actually getting worse. 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I feel it’s the Philadelphia 76ers effect. They were programmed to lose. They never had any expectations to win in those early years or winning role models around them. There was always an excuse. They turned it around for half a season last year but only after they were mercilessly shamed in public by supporters after the Essendon loss. It was almost like they were the talented but naughty school boy who has been told he was on his last chances by the principal.

It also doesn’t help when the coach says things like “they lacked consistency before I got here” as if that 3 years later and still no semblance of consistency that isn’t his fault. Vossy was a ruthless competitor as a player but that coaching failure at Brisbane has changed him. He’s become a politician talking in rhymes and half truths, scared to upset anyone. A toothless tiger.

Contrast that to Mitchell and Hawthorn generally. He knows losing isn’t tolerated at the club. He saw it first hand when they exiled him to W.A. once the club felt he couldn’t help them win a flag. They then forced his 4 time premiership winning mentor out, when he’d overstayed his welcome. There’s a reason Hawthorn are so successful. They are a ruthless club. We used to be like that. Now we have become a laughing stock.

Feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone...

Since quarter time v the Giants things just keep going from bad to worse...

Playing like shit
Injury list as long as my arm
Terrible coaching and selection
Lose to Collingwood by <= 1 goal AGAIN this time probably in the worst way possible
Embarrass the legends of the club
Apparently chasing Berry of all people

Now...

Campbell as our next CEO?

Please gtfo of it...

The first point was dropping George Hewett for the Giants game. We were 39 points up and had scored 50 points in the first quarter. I think most of us would have preferred he played but do we really think that had he, the result wouldn't have been the same?

Then the next one was Matty being played as the sub for the Dogs game. Again, not one most supporters would pick but something this team should be able to overcome.
you're missing the overarching point. The teams so exhausted injuries are occurring. Which is made worse by lowering midfield rotations. We literally played without a midfield vs the dogs. Those rotations keep the overall squad fresher for longer which keeps injuries down. We were showing exhaustion signs going into those games and the selection experimenting blew that wide open.

you're missing the overarching point. The teams so exhausted injuries are occurring. Which is made worse by lowering midfield rotations. We literally played without a midfield vs the dogs. Those rotations keep the overall squad fresher for longer which keeps injuries down. We were showing exhaustion signs going into those games and the selection experimenting blew that wide open.
I feel like I am.

The article first mentioned that Hewett was left out of the side against the Giants and then Kennedy was sub against the Bulldogs (rotating our midfield). What would you have had them do in the dogs game for instance? Play Kennedy and then watch as he's run into the ground?

It's a no win situation - we either rotate them and lose, or, we play them and wear them into the ground - and still lose.

This game plan of ours is just absolutely brutal on the midfield - which is fantastic when it works but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's not conducive to be successful across an entire season. Unfortunately not everyone is built like Cripps.

On Fox Media - The Football World is "Laughing" At Carlton.

This absolutely smashes me to the core. As Carlton fans we expect it but it never gets any easier. Unfortunately we just keep on giving.

Bloody ordinary footage

Damning footage, lazy football. Not sure at what point of the game that vision is from but still.

Surprised Newman got caught out like that, two Cow brain fades and one from Weiters and Harry should have been accountable for Chol but stayed around the stoppage allowing Chol to drift forward unattended.

Also Saad ended up in no mans land between the stoppage and where the ball was going to go if Hawthorn won it so couldn't affect anything. I mean if your HF is going up to the stoppage make a decision, either go with and basically tag him around the stoppage or sag back and outnumber should they win the clearance and kick forward but don't sit in nowhere land.

Backline should be constantly talking while the ball is further up the ground making sure matchups are right and in place, just looks like they're going through the motions.

Between the ears needs to be addressed, that would have been hard to watch in the review.

This is a shocking story. Why would Sayers want someone that spent 14 years at our arch rival during the supplements saga.

He was hired during 2013 to take the CEO role, considering the brevity of the situation and story and the immense pressure on the club I thought he did an extraordinary job

I’m fully ok with this succession plan and said at the time that when he resigned he was a good candidate to be so underneath Cook knowing he was only there for a short time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
He was hired during 2013 to take the CEO role, considering the brevity of the situation and story and the immense pressure on the club I thought he did an extraordinary job

I’m fully ok with this succession plan and said at the time that when he resigned he was a good candidate to be so underneath Cook knowing he was only there for a short time

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He first started with the Dons in 2009 and assumed the CEO role, with Paul Little's arm firmly up his jacksie, in 2014.

He, along with anyone else in snr mgmt roles during the Dons drugs saga, should be avoided like the plague.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article "the football world is laughing at Carlton" needs to be sticky taped on every single player's locker.
Someone wrote words in an article and chose that title? How very original. 😂

I feel it’s the Philadelphia 76ers effect. They were programmed to lose. They never had any expectations to win in those early years or winning role models around them. There was always an excuse. They turned it around for half a season last year but only after they were mercilessly shamed in public by supporters after the Essendon loss. It was almost like they were the talented but naughty school boy who has been told he was on his last chances by the principal.

It also doesn’t help when the coach says things like “they lacked consistency before I got here” as if that 3 years later and still no semblance of consistency that isn’t his fault. Vossy was a ruthless competitor as a player but that coaching failure at Brisbane has changed him. He’s become a politician talking in rhymes and half truths, scared to upset anyone. A toothless tiger.

Contrast that to Mitchell and Hawthorn generally. He knows losing isn’t tolerated at the club. He saw it first hand when they exiled him to W.A. once the club felt he couldn’t help them win a flag. They then forced his 4 time premiership winning mentor out, when he’d overstayed his welcome. There’s a reason Hawthorn are so successful. They are a ruthless club. We used to be like that. Now we have become a laughing stock.
Never have truer words been spoken. Sad reality is, we were once a ruthless club. Yes, it was risky coming to the blues as you weren't quite sure how long you would stay, but you worked your ass off to get the ultimate result (a flag).

The Carlton of today just seems content in almost making finals. The ultimate goal SHOULD be the main and ONLY focus for everyone involved in the club and, looking from the outside watching us playing and seeing that footage behind the goals, it appears as though their hearts really aren't fully invested. I mean lets be brutally honest- when does the penny drop for these boys? We have a pretty damn talented list that is more than capable of causing destruction come finals time so when do they start to believe?

I believe this list, as it stands now, has, at most, 4-5 years to achieve something. Lets see how well they go in having a crack cause at the moment I see plenty of guys just content being footy players on the weekend...

How does that happen?

Is it a coaching instruction…zone defence rather than man on man?

We looked lost at sea 🤦
The problem with shit analysis like this is it completely ignores the place of the footage in the bigger picture. These are good players who almost won a prelim and had a top 5 defense two seasons in a row.

It's far more likely a combination of the exhaustion + frustration. Nothing skills based. Just build up of a long season and brutal game style and lack of rotations.

These analyses need to be more complete or at least caveated to account for some impactful variables.

I feel like I am.

The article first mentioned that Hewett was left out of the side against the Giants and then Kennedy was sub against the Bulldogs (rotating our midfield). What would you have had them do in the dogs game for instance? Play Kennedy and then watch as he's run into the ground?

It's a no win situation - we either rotate them and lose, or, we play them and wear them into the ground - and still lose.

This game plan of ours is just absolutely brutal on the midfield - which is fantastic when it works but as I've mentioned elsewhere, it's not conducive to be successful across an entire season. Unfortunately not everyone is built like Cripps.
I agree with you here btw 👍. Was just more saying that I think the rotations are even worse than the two options you proposed. There should be more options but they forced this gameplan with players used in sub optimal spots and ended up at the gws and dogs game.

Second worst injury list for the year second year running.
Do you think that may have something to do with W/L?

Personally I am absolutely gobsmacked by the Russell quote regarding his preparedness to see players injured during his get fit regime - if that is a true reflection of what the bloke's philosophy is - I have no words seriously gobsmacked at the Neanderthal approach - and explains a lot of repeat soft tissue injuries.

You can't be burning players like this as if they are commodities and all expendable.

I feel like I am.

Hewett and Kennedy are more resilient and durable than many of the others.
Cerra plays at half back on his return. He’s either right to play midfield or he’s not right to play.

We had choices.

We started tinkering without having locked in a finals position and ultimately we’ve made a complete mess of a great opportunity. Many of the decisions were taken before the injuries mounted again.

Damning footage, lazy football. Not sure at what point of the game that vision is from but still.

Surprised Newman got caught out like that, two Cow brain fades and one from Weiters and Harry should have been accountable for Chol but stayed around the stoppage allowing Chol to drift forward unattended.

Also Saad ended up in no mans land between the stoppage and where the ball was going to go if Hawthorn won it so couldn't affect anything. I mean if your HF is going up to the stoppage make a decision, either go with and basically tag him around the stoppage or sag back and outnumber should they win the clearance and kick forward but don't sit in nowhere land.

Backline should be constantly talking while the ball is further up the ground making sure matchups are right and in place, just looks like they're going through the motions.

Between the ears needs to be addressed, that would have been hard to watch in the review.
It's our leaders that have totally lost it, not the kids. They are still learning but aren't being assisted.
Weitering, Saad, McGovern and Newman were horrible and have been so for a month. Kemp and Cowan are the 2 paying the price from the coaching group ........ gutless.

Do you think that may have something to do with W/L?

Personally I am absolutely gobsmacked by the Russell quote regarding his preparedness to see players injured during his get fit regime - if that is a true reflection of what the bloke's philosophy is - I have no words seriously gobsmacked at the Neanderthal approach - and explains a lot of repeat soft tissue injuries.

You can't be burning players like this as if they are commodities and all expendable.
Bingo. Everyone knows you cannot treat every player with the same plan. We just flowered it up and as an example, even for Martin this year's missed weeks have been extraordinary more than normal. I won't add Cerra or Motlop or ..... FMD

Bingo. Everyone knows you cannot treat every player with the same plan. We just flowered it up and as an example, even for Martin this year's missed weeks have been extraordinary more than normal. I won't add Cerra or Motlop or ..... FMD
I would appreciate a link to the posted SEN comments from Russell re his training philosophy - I'm still interested enough to care because I am still fuming with anger - and it doesn't stop at Russell if there is any truth to this 'philosophy'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back