Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy the “Bringer of Joy” and Mr Versatile this season

5fb8d8bb6bd62a6ae202777d5ce970f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

2 page spread in the HUN on Cook. Overall he’s stated his swan song in 2025. So looks like we’ll be out of a president and CEO next year.

It's interesting. We are still in a window, but are making massive changes at the top. Ideally, you would make those changes when we weren't in contention, but hopefully we have plans in place to make the transition easy.

Last edited:
It's interesting. We are still in a window, but are making massive changes at the top. Ideally, you would make those changes when we weren't in contention, but hopefully we have plans in place to make the transition easily.
Sayer's term will be up, I think, so I believe he has to step down. Cook, I also get. It'll be interesting in terms of succession planning, but I trust that we're in good hands....

Robbo’s Tackle

3. MICHAEL VOSS
He took a punt on six changes, which was probably too many, because the desperate attitude developed in the last two games was lost in a team which may have been body ready, but certainly wasn’t mentally ready. Just why were Carlton so timid? It’s the question that does not have an obvious answer. No Cincotta dispatched to Zorko, TDK as the sub, Kennedy off second quarter, playing too many flighty small forwards … the Blues will stew on them for a while.

2. CARLTON.
A limp end to a season that collapsed at quarter-time of the Giants game in Round 17. The Blues led 8.4 to 3.1 and lost that game, and went 2-6 to close the season. Top-end talent – Cripps, Weitering, Walsh, Curnow and McKay – will again form the nucleus, but there are holes everywhere. A preliminary final finish in 2023 and humbled in the elimination final in 2024 exposed those holes. Small forward area needs a restructure.
Fantasia (15 games), Motlop (seven), Durdin (14), Owies (23), Martin (three) and Williams (19) are not reliable. That group played 81 games and kicked 73 goals. In contrast, Ginnivan (22 games), Macdonald (24), Breust (18), Watson (17) and Moore (24) played 105 games and kicked 131 goals. How many of the Blue smalls would get a game at Hawthorn? Zero. They need another tall defender and if Dan Houston still wants to leave Port Adelaide, the Blues have to be in there swinging. Saad dropped off, the investment in the Hollands boys needed greater return, and the TDK v Pittonet argument will continue. At least we saw some depth players getting a gig, despite them all being dropped for the final.

“And the technical is crucial. We’re talking about Hawthorn and how well they do the basics. I just think that Carlton has relied on talent for too long and if you’re going to get synergy and your team to pop, there’s just too many fumbled balls, too many handballs missed and they just need to go back to get those technical basics of the game.

“I’d be focusing heavily on that in the pre-season.”

Amen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amen
Our basic skills are almost the worst in the competition. Hospital handballs, loopy kicks, tackles that get broken etc etc

Not only do I think it's nearly impossible to bridge that chasm in one offseason, I'm not even sure that the powers at be even think it's a problem (which is even more concerning)

Our basic skills are almost the worst in the competition. Hospital handballs, loopy kicks, tackles that get broken etc etc

Not only do I think it's nearly impossible to bridge that chasm in one offseason, I'm not even sure that the powers at be even think it's a problem (which is even more concerning)

I think you absolutely could improve it pretty dramatically with a proper focus over 1 preseason. Even if you improved by 10-20%, that would have a big impact on gameday across a whole season.

But yes, I've never heard Voss talk about it in the same way that McRae does, or Mitchell.

Amen
We've had a few posters say Voss doesn't 'do basics'. If there's one cliche I've heard from coaches of any team sport that have 'turned it around' is the 'return to fundamentals'. hopefully that's the focus. All these learnings and growth and lip service is wrong. Voss should simplify and message fundamentals. That's it. **** everything else off. Some of the most ****ing unreal streaks and turn arounds in sports are just 'oh yeah we just cut out the noise and started focusing on fundamentals'

D+
I'm not happy with how our season panned out but it's got me ****ed how we get a D+ for making finals and the reigning premier also get a D+ for missing the finals. In addition how the doggies can be listed as a C+ and 'did better than expected' is beyond me. Whoever wrote these assessments has no idea about football.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had a few posters say Voss doesn't 'do basics'. If there's one cliche I've heard from coaches of any team sport that have 'turned it around' is the 'return to fundamentals'. hopefully that's the focus. All these learnings and growth and lip service is wrong. Voss should simplify and message fundamentals. That's it. **** everything else off. Some of the most ****ing unreal streaks and turn arounds in sports are just 'oh yeah we just cut out the noise and started focusing on fundamentals'
To be fair, he shouldn't have to do anything to address the basics. Players should already have them when they're drafted. Part of the responsibility of being a professional footballer and drafting due diligence.

To be fair, he shouldn't have to do anything to address the basics. Players should already have them when they're drafted. Part of the responsibility of being a professional footballer and drafting due diligence.
While we'd like to think that, the problem is they draft rated more on athletic ability than skills. Sure you have to be able to do x,y & z but if there's a choice between 2 players - 1 with better skills & 1 with more aerobic capability they're choosing option 2 every time.

Could not disagree more.
Players get drafted because they have certain qualities, not because they're good at everything.

You need to train these things. Over and over and over.
And football basics isn't just handballs. It's about how to approach a contest, where to stand, where to move, when the right time to release the ball etc. how to create space.

Could not disagree more.
Players get drafted because they have certain qualities, not because they're good at everything.

You need to train these things. Over and over and over.
And football basics isn't just handballs. It's about how to approach a contest, where to stand, where to move, when the right time to release the ball etc. how to create space.
I'm talking about basic kicking efficiency, ball handling and not getting sucked into contests and leaving your man open. Stuff we consistently get wrong. The basics. Appreciate you have your own definition. Most of the stuff you've mentioned any decent under 18 already knows.

I'm talking about basic kicking efficiency, ball handling and not getting sucked into contests and leaving your man open. Stuff we consistently get wrong. The basics. Appreciate you have your own definition. Most of the stuff you've mentioned any decent under 18 already knows.
No, they are certainly basics as well.
But you have to train them and focus on them, or they atrophy. Even if every decent under 18 already knows it, which I seriously doubt.
Listen to Sam Mitchell talk about Calsher Dear.

How many players have been brought into out side with a main attribute of good skills or sure ball handling?

I'm thinking 4. Cerra, Boyd, Moir and Cuningham.

Most are there because of endurance, workrate or marking ability.

We just don't focus on skills first and foremost.

We are playing a Richmond style game. Pressure and chaos. We don't have the pace of those Richmond sides though.

I feel like we are caught in between game plans and not providing the finishing touches to any.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back