Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

The junior footy teams I've been involved with had line coaches from about under 16. Earlier for rep teams. My point is that Voss is not responsible for professional players that can't hit a target with a kick, mark or pick up a ground ball. Id expect that the development coach would be responsible for set ups, running patterns and stoppages etc.

To be fair, he shouldn't have to do anything to address the basics. Players should already have them when they're drafted. Part of the responsibility of being a professional footballer and drafting due diligence.
Norm Smith was massive on training the basics every training session.

Pendles has spoken about how, at every training session, they work on ground ball get basics for 15-20 min.

Steph Curry, practices the basics of shooting at every training session and before a game.

Most teams warm up on the ground with ground ball gets.

Giants, under Kingsley, improved their handballing massively. My guess is they put in a massive body of work on this skill.

It seems like an anti-pattern to not practice the basics all the time.

Btw, i have no idea what Carlton does, so its interesting that Bucks thinks we are not investing enough into that area.

The junior footy teams I've been involved with had line coaches from about under 16. Earlier for rep teams. My point is that Voss is not responsible for professional players that can't hit a target with a kick, mark or pick up a ground ball. Id expect that the development coach would be responsible for set ups, running patterns and stoppages etc.
It's not that Voss should personally be doing it, but he dictates how much focus we put on it, how much time, which coaches are training it.

I saw a graphic the other day that showed where Kennedy has played the majority of his games over the last two seasons
Just wondering if anyone saved it
Thanks in advance

To be fair, he shouldn't have to do anything to address the basics. Players should already have them when they're drafted. Part of the responsibility of being a professional footballer and drafting due diligence.
No not at all. The basics are what make superstars so much better. It's this attitude that sees them slip away. The best clubs and players keep it in focus and its bloody hard when you're required at training and fitness work all the time to create extra time yourself to do it once you're in the system. It's part of the club's responsibility and an utter foundation of being a good coach. Can't tell you how wrong you are from experience both as a player in the systems and a coach ....

Yes he is. Part of the contract and deal with being a head coach. You're responsible for the performances of your team. And kicking efficiency is more than even to do with structure and actually having the easy kicks to take ..... Which we never do .....

Chris Scott and Adam Simpson on 360 discussing the fundamentals, and ‘craft’.
Simpson saying how good Geelong are at it, and how important it is, Scott acknowledging it’s importance, and giving credit to Nigel Lappin and the development coaches.

To a man, just about everyone in the media has expressed their bewilderment with our selection and matchday moves in Sat nights game.
And for once I agree with them.
I just wonder how much “feedback” the club has had from members, and more importantly whether they have taken any of it on board.
I wonder if anyone at the club will publicly acknowledge the complete stuff up that occurred on the weekend.

To a man, just about everyone in the media has expressed their bewilderment with our selection and matchday moves in Sat nights game.
And for once I agree with them.
I just wonder how much “feedback” the club has had from members, and more importantly whether they have taken any of it on board.
I wonder if anyone at the club will publicly acknowledge the complete stuff up that occurred on the weekend.
This is what is so disappointing. Voss came out praising the fight back when the match was well and truly over. Instead of putting his hand up and admitting the selection didn't work. Sam Mitchell did something similar earlier in the season and came out publicly and took full responsibility for the tactics that he implemented were incorrect. Look at the them now.

I'm not happy with how our season panned out but it's got me ****ed how we get a D+ for making finals and the reigning premier also get a D+ for missing the finals. In addition how the doggies can be listed as a C+ and 'did better than expected' is beyond me. Whoever wrote these assessments has no idea about football.
Also the saints and bombers C- and Dockers C+ please that is just BS of the highest order

I'm not happy with how our season panned out but it's got me ****ed how we get a D+ for making finals and the reigning premier also get a D+ for missing the finals. In addition how the doggies can be listed as a C+ and 'did better than expected' is beyond me. Whoever wrote these assessments has no idea about football.
They do it for social shares and clicks.

Also the saints and bombers C- and Dockers C+ please that is just BS of the highest order
Relative to their lists that's pretty fair. Freo are recovering constantly from onfield and off field turmoil. They're doing pretty well. Bombers did get probably the most you can out of that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting in that should they have rested him immediately and pushed Kemp forward. Sitting well inside the top four would have been a good time to do it.

Or was he telling the club he was good to go or was he pressured to get out there. The running demands are a lot higher
than back in Voss's day and/or did Russell's old school approach have a say.

Just hope the management of his injury and others gets a good look.

Niggles are one thing but the running requirement on all players to ensure the system holds up doesn't really lend itself to playing through soft tissue or leg joint concerns these days.

Really looking forward to seeing what Inness brings next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Back