Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he is an expert in his field and it's not to get fans on board I think we can put money to more glaring areas.

Is there a list of these experts somewhere? How do they get acknowledged as such?

Seems to me you only get to be an expert if you are at a successful club so we throw money at people to come over and teach us their previous clubs culture. One such gun signing was Swann, who half of our supporters now want gone.

What about those that are doing well for themselves because somebody spotted attributes that others didn't realise they had?

We can't go on recycling the same big names. We learned that with Pagan and now Mick is struggling with the messiah complex too.

That's why I said unless he is, I'm not in the loop at any club just observing from the outside.

He has been given heaps of help at gws in the way of picks and funding.

He might be a great acquisition but just because he is a favourite son it shouldn't get Him a free Ticket in either.

And if they act upon it by bringing in new people that you don't want?

I don't want meaningless gestures if that is what getting SOS is, but if there is a specific purpose and he is qualified to do it, then where is the harm?

Bring him, don't bring him in, whatever. I'm not qualified to comments on his merits so have no particular opinion. His presence will motivate those who love the Guernsey, but how many of those do we have in our current side?

I just don't see the logic in outright saying we don't want someone if we don't know what they can do.

My logic was to say I had no particular reason in saying it............just a feel and a character analysis from a distance.
Loved the guy as a player and a Carlton person, but not sure we should be reeling on Carlton people just for the sake of it.

I didn't want Kernahan as President either.
Great Carlton person...........not such a great President.

What exactly would we want Silvagni for anyway?
To take McKay's job? He was a good Carlton person also.

My logic was to say I had no particular reason in saying it............just a feel and a character analysis from a distance.
Loved the guy as a player and a Carlton person, but not sure we should be reeling on Carlton people just for the sake of it.

I didn't want Kernahan as President either.
Great Carlton person...........not such a great President.

Wouldn't mind him taking Barker's position...

Wouldn't mind him taking Barker's position...

:) Poor Barker....................gets all the blame but he didn't employ himself.

Game 1: We played well enough to win but ran out of legs as expected due to 19 operations, unfit players playing etc.
Game 2: Nothing new with a poor start against Richmond. Should have over-hauled them when we had the run, but couldn't kick straight.
Game 3: Lost confidence altogether. Mentally shot.
Game 4: Drop Waite and Garlett and Menzel goes down on top of being mentally shot.

All considered, we knew we were in for a slow start but this has really made things messy now.
Hard to say where it will end.

And if they act upon it by bringing in new people that you don't want?

I don't want meaningless gestures if that is what getting SOS is, but if there is a specific purpose and he is qualified to do it, then where is the harm?

Bring him, don't bring him in, whatever. I'm not qualified to comments on his merits so have no particular opinion. His presence will motivate those who love the Guernsey, but how many of those do we have in our current side?

I just don't see the logic in outright saying we don't want someone if we don't know what they can do.
How does that work?

McKay, Kernahan, Ratten and others have all been through the door since 2007.

St Kilda won't come to us with an offer for a first round pick for a Tom Lee plus second and third round picks.

SOS might give up Menzel for another Heath Shaw...

SOS recruited list cloggers such as Josh Hunt, Gilham, O'hAilpin, Addison, Sam Reid, etc. to add experience.

Looks very much like a "quick fix to appease the fans and make it look like we're taking action" type thing.
If it's not then geez, we have learnt nothing.

If someone like Rogers ends up being a powerbroker scapegoat for this I'll be ****ing furious. He's really turned our recruiting around imo.

McKay is not just a list manager. Other teams have both.

I'm just wondering about preemptive strikes against it. If we do due diligence and have a role for him, why question it?

Seems we only embrace those who do well at other clubs and think old Carlton people lack talent. SOS is not part of a boy's club. He has swum upstream for years now.

Last edited:
How does that work?

McKay, Kernahan, Ratten and others have all been through the door since 2007.

St Kilda won't come to us with an offer for a first round pick for a Tom Lee plus second and third round picks.

SOS might give up Menzel for another Heath Shaw...

SOS recruited list cloggers such as Josh Hunt, Gilham, O'hAilpin, Addison, Sam Reid, etc. to add experience.

Where are you going with this?

SOS gave up Taylor Adams who wanted out for a premiership defender who has been quite good at GWS so far. In contrast Taylor Adams hasn't even broke into the the Collingwood best 22 yet.

Those list cloggers were there to give the GWS players some mature bodies to help out the younger kids. They weren't there to win matches for GWS. Compare that to GWS's cleverly signing Mumford after Sydney got Franklin and the accquistion of Jed Lamb through the PSD.

Not impressed with Andy McKay,s current attitude either....exactly where do we belong Andy, you were a great player don't get me wrong, but you have that ridiculous we are Carlton $%^& the rest attitude which is so 70's 80's..we have not won a premiership since 1995...19 years ago....clubs don't fear the Navy Blue any more...haven't for years....you don't hear Geelong or Hawks or any of the other myriad of clubs who have won premierships since we have with this ATTITUDE of ARROGANC and where we belong &*%$....right at this moment where we belong is where we are stone motherless last or just about.......I'm over this attitude of entitlement...we have acheived our success over the years by being able to buy the best...now in the new world which has been running for some years now Andy we should have been able to achive more than we have....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay is not just a list manager. Other teams have both.

I'm just wondering about preemptive strikes against it. If we do due diligence and have a role for him, why question it?

Seems we only embrace those who do well at other clubs and think old Carlton people lack talent. SOS is not part of a boy's club. He has swum upstream for years now.
Looks very much like a "quick fix to appease the fans and make it look like we're taking action" type thing.
If it's not then geez, we have learnt nothing.

If someone like Rogers ends up being a powerbroker scapegoat for this I'll be ******* furious. He's really turned our recruiting around imo.

All this swinging at shadows. It's a new role and is not the recruiting manager role. McKay has been doing it as a tacked on duty and has plenty else to do and it changes nothing in Rogers' role.

Let me work on the reply ODN :)

Tapatalk getting all screwy on me. I'll give up until tonight. It's all in there in one of the posts.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

All this swinging at shadows. It's a new role and is not the recruiting manager role. McKay has been doing it as a tacked on duty and has plenty else to do and it changes nothing in Rogers' role.

Yeah I probably wasn't being very clear. My second paragraph wasn't really related to SOS or the first. Just stuff I've heard about Rogers getting the blame for what's currently happening which is batshit crazy.

I'm sure they're doing all their due diligence re: the SOS move. Timing is just interesting, it may have been happening for some time behind the scenes though.

I must say I am very impressed with the way Simmo handled himself in that presser, looked hurt but was clear in his answers, looks like a leader, plays like the leader and is the leader and he should be made the captain of the footy club.

Murphy is not the captain and everyone knows it, the players included. He needs to actually grow a pair and start acting like the captain in the media and on the ground. Simmo is actually doing the job for him at the moment.

Murph can't become what people want now. Too late for that. This grow a pair stuff........we can't get Levi to kick straight, not going to get Murph to turn his entire character upside down.

Levi's kicking hasn't been too bad lately. I've come around to the belief that the vast majority of our team are poor set shot kickers and Levi just stands out more then most.

I'd say that Murphy has been rather out of character myself. He was a lot more confident and ready to take the game earlier in his career while he looks down trodden and timid in 2014.

Where are you going with this?

SOS gave up Taylor Adams who wanted out for a premiership defender who has been quite good at GWS so far. In contrast Taylor Adams hasn't even broke into the the Collingwood best 22 yet.

Those list cloggers were there to give the GWS players some mature bodies to help out the younger kids. They weren't there to win matches for GWS. Compare that to GWS's cleverly signing Mumford after Sydney got Franklin and the accquistion of Jed Lamb through the PSD.
Where's the genius in losing a first round pick for someone as old as Mclean and Walker?

I know how you or etsal would react to Carlton executing that sort of trade.

You defend their list cloggers whilst labelling Thomas as underwhelming. Completely ignores Daisy's pre-season and latest injury.

Yet we also read that Everitt wasn't a canny acquisition like Mumford or Lamb.

Right.

Where's the genius in losing a first round pick for someone as old as Mclean and Walker?

I know how you or etsal would react to Carlton executing that sort of trade.

You defend their list cloggers whilst labelling Thomas as underwhelming. Completely ignores Daisy's pre-season and latest injury.

Yet we also read that Everitt wasn't a canny acquisition like Mumford or Lamb.

Right.

GWS had 1 win in 2013. Heath Shaw is a premiership player and all Australian.

Thomas hasn't stamped himself on a game yet which is what you expect from a player on 700k and Everitt hasn't really done much either.

I'm well aware of Thomas's preseason woes but we didn't get him to be a bit part player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back