Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like this year is a draw.

Pies failed to beat Carlton by a couple of percent during the H&A but then Carlton said hold my beer and went 60-0 in a final. All kinda evens out in the end.
Pretty much.

Collingwood did ruin both Carlton and Brisbane's realistic shot at a premiership by doing the double on them. Just a few weeks ago they cost a desperate Brisbane their top 4 spot, while Carlton got thumped by the Lions (forget the final score line, the game was done in the first 1.5 quarters).

Carlton's shocking run to end the season after being 2nd flag favourites about 2/3 in, was an embarrassment greater than a defending premier missing finals. They didn't even win their mini elimination final against St Kilda, and needed Port to win one for them.

However the Blues did get to play a final, albeit an uncompetitive final.

This has draw written all over it.

Pretty much.

Collingwood did ruin both Carlton and Brisbane's realistic shot at a premiership by doing the double on them. Just a few weeks ago they cost a desperate Brisbane their top 4 spot, while Carlton got thumped by the Lions (forget the final score line, the game was done in the first 1.5 quarters).

Carlton's shocking run to end the season after being 2nd flag favourites about 2/3 in, was an embarrassment greater than a defending premier missing finals. They didn't even win their mini elimination final against St Kilda, and needed Port to win one for them.

However the Blues did get to play a final, albeit an uncompetitive final.

This has draw written all over it.
Nah only % difference and Collingwood won 2 from 2 against them.

Carlton had double ups against WC and -North.

Collingwood win the thread !!!

Nah only % difference and Collingwood won 2 from 2 against them.

Carlton had double ups against WC and -North.

Collingwood win the thread !!!
It's so close that every single supporter of either club will think their club won the thread. There is justification on both sides, whereas almost every other year there has been a very clear answer that nobody could argue with. This is probably why neutrals are calling it a draw, hence for "current champ" we refer to the previous years winner: Collingwood.

To cheer everyone up we can look back on happier times in 2024 (let's not go to 2023 as we want something for both clubs supporters):

1725719109563.png
Things looked pretty good for a while and there was even talk of a Carlton/Collingwood grand final. The Cats were sliding down to oblivion, while Hawthorn and Brisbane were nowhere to be seen.

And that's why we love football - what a rollercoaster!

Agreed. That was the most disgraceful team selection in football history, followed by a ridiculous sub and then a ridiculous substitution, players have no hope with that type of direction
Did you see the look on Kennedy's face?

I don't think I've seen a scowl like that after being benched, ever. I feel for him because you had Notlop, Fantasia and Durdin stuffing it up, and he'd be watching all that. As much as people bag Owies, at least he's consistent and provides effort. Our small forward stocks are the worst in the league, was really disappointed Moir didn't keep his spot. Actually saw people defending his omission, but look at what the Hawks have done - first year players can still work. Especially if they're fit and provide energy.

Did you see the look on Kennedy's face?

I don't think I've seen a scowl like that after being benched, ever. I feel for him because you had Notlop, Fantasia and Durdin stuffing it up, and he'd be watching all that. As much as people bag Owies, at least he's consistent and provides effort. Our small forward stocks are the worst in the league, was really disappointed Moir didn't keep his spot. Actually saw people defending his omission, but look at what the Hawks have done - first year players can still work. Especially if they're fit and provide energy.
Yeah, that was wrong. Kennedy has a right to feel very pissed off.

I get that it's easy to make hypothetical calls from the sidelines. But if I'm Voss:

-Start TDK, rotate him and Pittonet between ruck and full forward in Curnow's absence. From the start,
-Keep Kennedy on for the full game.
-Tell Docherty no matter how fit he feels, he is going to be protected until 2025.
-Keep Moir in the side.
-Drop Durdin.
-Williams used as a livewire impact sub.
-Sub off whichever small forward was doing the least.

Yeah, that was wrong. Kennedy has a right to feel very pissed off.

I get that it's easy to make hypothetical calls from the sidelines. But if I'm Voss:

-Start TDK, rotate him and Pittonet between ruck and full forward in Curnow's absence. From the start,
-Keep Kennedy on for the full game.
-Tell Docherty no matter how fit he feels, he is going to be protected until 2025.
-Keep Moir in the side.
-Drop Durdin.
-Williams used as a livewire impact sub.
-Sub off whichever small forward was doing the least.
He did everything that was asked of him, played all the roles even when he wasn't suited to them. Wife gave birth, flies back up to Brissy again and this is how he's treated. Wonder what that does with team morale?

If you ask me, I reckon the turning point was when they started selecting favourites, players who were out for a long time only to come back because of a sunk cost fallacy. And players who are in form and work their arse off get dropped, that's where the morale started dropping.

Then there's playing Curnow with a bung ankle until it couldn't support him standing anymore. Our management has been the worst in the league, and I don't think it's all Andrew Russell either. Word is that he and the head of football were at loggerheads, mis-communication, arguments, etc.

Your suggestions are reasonable, but all for naught if you have disunity that's caused by mismanagement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did everything that was asked of him, played all the roles even when he wasn't suited to them. Wife gave birth, flies back up to Brissy again and this is how he's treated. Wonder what that does with team morale?

If you ask me, I reckon the turning point was when they started selecting favourites, players who were out for a long time only to come back because of a sunk cost fallacy. And players who are in form and work their arse off get dropped, that's where the morale started dropping.

Then there's playing Curnow with a bung ankle until it couldn't support him standing anymore. Our management has been the worst in the league, and I don't think it's all Andrew Russell either. Word is that he and the head of football were at loggerheads, mis-communication, arguments, etc.

Your suggestions are reasonable, but all for naught if you have disunity that's caused by mismanagement.
Completely agree. And I wasn't trolling earlier in the year when I had high expectations for Carlton in 2024. I'm still bullish on them in the short to medium term. But it is clear they have issues to sort out, both in terms of the list and overall management. It might be a case where a tough review and some changes to staff are needed. There is a lot of potential there. When things are in flow, it all seems pretty good. But turbulence and mishaps always seem just around the corner. They're yet to have that "wake up" moment like Geelong and Richmond did before their successful runs. Or maybe just yet to find all of the puzzle pieces.

Is Voss the right man for the job, and he simply needs changes with assistants and in various departments (fitness etc)? I'm not sure.

Completely agree. And I wasn't trolling earlier in the year when I had high expectations for Carlton in 2024. I'm still bullish on them in the short to medium term. But it is clear they have issues to sort out, both in terms of the list and overall management. It might be a case where a tough review and some changes to staff are needed. There is a lot of potential there. When things are in flow, it all seems pretty good. But turbulence and mishaps always seem just around the corner. They're yet to have that "wake up" moment like Geelong and Richmond did before their successful runs. Or maybe just yet to find all of the puzzle pieces.

Is Voss the right man for the job, and he simply needs changes with assistants and in various departments (fitness etc)? I'm not sure.
To be fair, most people had expectation two months ago. I think the priority is to get the fitness and conditioning right first, too many times we've had soft tissue injuries... continuity is super important. Right now I think it's that, tactical coaching and our lack of forward defense. I can also mention defense from stoppages but that's easier to fix than those three problems.

I had doubts over Voss initially, but I reckon our line coaches aren't much chop. Jordan Russell as a forward line coach, might as well have Ian Thorpe coaching 100m hurdles.

To be fair, most people had expectation two months ago. I think the priority is to get the fitness and conditioning right first, too many times we've had soft tissue injuries... continuity is super important. Right now I think it's that, tactical coaching and our lack of forward defense. I can also mention defense from stoppages but that's easier to fix than those three problems.

I had doubts over Voss initially, but I reckon our line coaches aren't much chop. Jordan Russell as a forward line coach, might as well have Ian Thorpe coaching 100m hurdles.
The line coaches are really important.

For too long we had an ex-defender as our forward coach, turning them into "The Wolfpack" (no thanks, let's just have a regular dynamic forward line). Admittedly that forward line in 2019-2020 was better than the dire 2014-2018 groups, but that was a low bar.

Then we had Scarlett running the defensive line, which sounds good on paper...but he was overly rigid and defensive, also demanding we keep players back there who could've helped other parts of the field (Blicavs, Atkins). It became known as "The Misfits" (another stupid gimmick) but absolutely lacked rebounding flair and pace. Conservative ball movement and setting up behind the ball were "safe" options that could be destroyed under swarming finals pressure.

Some tactical overhauls were needed to get Geelong "finals ready" over the years, and that did include smart acquisitions via free agency/drafting. Pace and X factor primarily. Elite runners and then players who were really crafty around goals.

Apologies for the history lesson. The point is Carlton have a lot of top end talent and useful role players, much like the "almost" Cats of 2016-2020. But some personnel changes both with the playing group and staff might be needed to take the next step.

If you were Cripps, you'd be doing the same too.

Don't blame him at all.

He should aim the anger at his spud team mates rather than blokes who have their back to him. They're the ones who let him down.

Carlton might have finished ahead of Collingwood on the ladder, but was it really worth the bragging rights ?

They just got humiliated in an elimination final. Meanwhile Collingwood have a 2 week headstart on their vacation time

use-your-head-think.gif
No Pies supporters were gleefully predicting a ten goal win. That didn't happen.

Three flags in seventy years, 1915, 1938, 1970, 1979 and 1981, losing a grand final to St Kilda, and their so called "all mighty team" finishing below an injury ridden Carlton team this year.

It was well worth denying them a finals spot, the facts are that finishing above Collingwood is a premiership in itself to Carlton.

I won't shy away from this fight i won't back down, Collingwood are a bigger joke of a club than Carlton!

It will take more than a replay win against St Kilda, and a corrupt umpiring influenced flag win to convince me otherwise!

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back