Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So that's really sad. You're not even hiding that fact you're happy with this mediocrity. I'm just wondering if Carlton next year make finals or finish bottom 4. Your coach after the press conference didn't seem to unhappy. I can tell you Mitchell would've been disconsolate as **** if Hawks had produced that.
We were no shot going into that game, we all knew it, the Lions knew it, the media, the club... Was the first half shambolic? Absolutely. But our season was over long before we ran out the races at the GABBA last night

I didn't see Carlton playing finals either. You sure they did? I watched the first 50 minutes last night and Carlton were nowhere to be seen. Blues were still on the bus or something apparently. I turned it off to watch some cat videos on YouTube.
They thought daylight saving had started early and turned up an hour late as a result.

How do you not realise you were worse? Do you want the Carlton football club to stay in this mediocre state indefinitely?
I always thought it’d be the Roos that would relocate out of Victoria but you might have a point.

This thread is about which team had a better season - that's it. How are you not getting that?

Clearly, Collingwood had a better season, I've even iterated this several times in this thread, even before yesterday. The ladder means virtually nothing to me when I'm ranking teams. You also lost two more games than the Pies this year.

The thread has reached its climax, why are we still haggling over minor details. Enjoy the off season and reload again for next year.
Finally some semblance of sanity (try not to make a habit of it, though).

Clearly, Collingwood had a better season, I've even iterated this several times in this thread, even before yesterday. The ladder means virtually nothing to me when I'm ranking teams. You also lost two more games than the Pies this year.
I think I just lost a couple of IQ points

So that's really sad. You're not even hiding that fact you're happy with this mediocrity. I'm just wondering if Carlton next year make finals or finish bottom 4. Your coach after the press conference didn't seem to unhappy. I can tell you Mitchell would've been disconsolate as **** if Hawks had produced that.
Don't make this about Hawthorn. This is not the thread for that discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.1.7 to 3/4 time. That's worse I don't care which way you spin it.
We won an 8th v 5th final and we weren't 2nd with 6 rounds to go

There's no comparison, it's a disgraceful meltdown by the Blueshakers in 2024 and it's all on the head of your fat dumb German coach, fills the team sheet with injured crabs every week while fit guys who can actually play a bit run around in the twos

"The ladder means virtually nothing" when it is the objective measure the AFL use to determine who makes finals...
Laughable stuff
When sides are separated only by %, a 2-0 head to head record and 2 less games against the clear bottom 3 sides are factors that can absolutely veer the result to the "lower" side. It would be different if Carlton then put in a respectable finals effort. But the 60-0 final score (the rest of the game was basically a pre-season friendly) rubber stamped Carlton's 2-7 finish to the year, where only bottom 3 teams were beaten. That is a horrendous collapse and nobody came out of the season thinking Carlton were a better side than Collingwood in 2024. At best it was a draw. If you are being critical of the events described above, then it could be a loss for Carlton.

By the way has anyone confirmed what metric is being used for 2025 or are we waiting for it change again mid-season depending on how the Pies are going?
Going by this thread the agreed upon metric for most of the year was AFLCA Finals player of the year votes, wasn’t it?

When sides are separated only by %, a 2-0 head to head record and 2 less games against the clear bottom 3 sides are factors that can absolutely veer the result to the "lower" side. It would be different if Carlton then put in a respectable finals effort. But the 60-0 final score (the rest of the game was basically a pre-season friendly) rubber stamped Carlton's 2-7 finish to the year, where only bottom 3 teams were beaten. That is a horrendous collapse and nobody came out of the season thinking Carlton were a better side than Collingwood in 2024. At best it was a draw. If you are being critical of the events described above, then it could be a loss for Carlton.
The way Carlton finished the season is irrelevant - every team has peaks and troughs in a season which is why we compare based on the entirety of said season. One team made finals and one team didn't - it's simple. There is no way in hell if results were flipped Pies fans would be arguing anything different.

The way Carlton finished the season is irrelevant - every team has peaks and troughs in a season which is why we compare based on the entirety of said season. One team made finals and one team didn't - it's simple. There is no way in hell if results were flipped Pies fans would be arguing anything different.
That's not even close to true. A team that is going incredibly well and then completely collapses for the final two months of the season is not discernibly better than a side that finished competitively, but ended up behind the other on % because they lost to the likely premier by a kick at their home ground.

Carlton could not beat a single team that has not in the god awful bottom 3 division for all of July-August and then almost went a half in their unearned final without scoring. They couldn't beat their main rivals from 2 chances. They did get to double up against the bottom 3 teams more. Going by July and August, if there was just one more game against a non-bottom 3 side then they would have finished outside of finals. So it was a lucky participation medal, especially after losing their "mini elimination final" to St Kilda.

Declaring victory in this thread is a shameful new low for Blues supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back